What are you listening to?

Beating that riff to death reminds me a bit of Master's Apprentices, only filtered through a more streamlined song structure like something you would find on a Ghost album -- to throw some random impressions and associations at you.

I've got it preordered.

25th anniversary of Metallica's self-titled album today. I put Sad But True on my fb wall as a sort of joke (25 years ago - sad, but true), but I think my favorite songs on the album are probably Through the Never and My Friend of Misery.

Speaking of which, Borknagar has a killer cover of My Friend of Misery:

This song (6:38-8:13).

It may be "just" a cartoon, but this is some pretty intense shit. XD Though you can definitely say that about the entire series... I watched it all the time when I was a child, but apparently you really need to be an adult to realize how disturbing this show is. In a good way of course, this show actually deals with real life.

And just for metal's sake, here's the Finnish version, by Karski-Katti:

It has growls! \m/

Last edited:
And just for metal's sake, here's the Finnish version, by Karski-Katti:
Watched it with my cat in my lap. Hope she feels inspired by it, this growly version is definitely easier on the ear than her own high-pitched "feed meeeeeeeeeeeee-ow"... :D

...damn, shouldn't have written that. Most highly offended, Mademoiselle left my lap, pointed her butt towards me and stalked away. I'd bettter put on something that regains me her favour. Well, I guess this will do:

^ That is one tasty intro...

Watched it with my cat in my lap. Hope she feels inspired by it, this growly version is definitely easier on the ear than her own high-pitched "feed meeeeeeeeeeeee-ow"... :D

...damn, shouldn't have written that. Most highly offended, Mademoiselle left my lap, pointed her butt towards me and stalked away. I'd bettter put on something that regains me her favour. Well, I guess this will do:

[VIDEO]

Haha! :D

Awesome song by the way. :headbang:

Reactions: Eurynome
Didn't know where else to drop this, and since I was listening to it a minute ago...

For those who are interested, Anneke van Giersbergen did a song at De Wereld Draait Door (a Dutch talkshow) last Wednesday. You can watch it here. :) Well, hopefully, if there are no country restrictions on it.

Personally I'm hugely disappointed with the song choice though... Summetime again? Seriously? Is that really the only summer-related song people can think of? (They have some sort of summer music theme going on now, various artists are invited to do a "summer song")

Been listening to a lot of Dead Can Dance and Bauhaus the last couple weeks. Happened across Lotus Thief by accident and they seem to catch a bit of the Bauhaus/DCD darkwave vibe and channel it through a mix of doom and postrock.

Reactions: papajohnny
That sounds interesting for sure, I like it.

And Dead Can Dance is great indeed, I especially love this track:

I was actually looking for a video of the song that featured the album cover, but I couldn't find one. This album has one of the most intriguing covers I've ever seen. Too bad about the huge blue bar on the right, but hey, you can't have everything.

atpvv4.jpg

Actually, as far as the colour goes I think so too. But there's too much of it, and because of the blatant placement it makes me think of a really bad MS Paint job, sadly...

Within the Realm of a Dying Sun was released in 1987, which means that the artwork had to be designed to work on a cassette cover at 65x100mm. Two thirds of sales would have been cassette. CDs were just starting to get rolling and were mostly bought by yuppies. Most of the punks, goths, and metalheads were buying cassettes.

R-940413-1175271128.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: papajohnny
Ah, that explains a lot, it looks much nicer as a cassette! Though I grew up with cassettes, I missed the era where people actually bought albums as such. When I was old enough to buy my own music (probably when I was around 12, I'm from '87), CDs had already pushed them away, they could only be found in the corner of the music store for dump prices.

New Opeth album is streaming in its entirety. Am not enthralled by it the whole way through like I have been with some previous albums, but its definitely not a slouch of an album and has its moments of undeniable metal mixed in with the beauty and proggy 70s vibe (none of which are bad things in my mind).

On first listen I'd pick Chrysalis as my highlight, but that may well change once I've spun it more and let things sink in.

Am not enthralled by it the whole way through like I have been with some previous albums, but its definitely not a slouch

Love the cover but the rest didn't really convince me. Beautiful, yes, but I'm kind of missing the edge. Should dedicate more time to it but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Of course it's not Opeth's fault that the release coincided with one that's much closer to my heart. I admit that I was rather sceptical when Skálmöld revealed the lyrical concept of the new album, but apparently I forgot for a moment that Bibbi is a friggin' genius who probably could't fail even if someone paid him for it. Love just about all of his writing, from poetry via newspaper columns to his novel, and I'm also very happy that the folk melodies are more prominent again on this album than on the previous one. It doesn't have the flawless dramatic perfection of Börn Loka, but I don't doubt it will end up at top of my personal best-of list for 2016.

And before it goes unmentioned, Insomnium's Winter's Gate is a pretty sure candidate for the silver medal. :)

I'll have to check out the Skålmöld. I've liked what I've heard of them, just not enough to break through to buying.

Listen two on Sorceress: Opethro Tull. You can tell they were listening to Stormwatch a lot when they were putting this one together. Good thing I like that album.