What are you listening to?

I'll have to check out the Skålmöld.

Start with this one if you haven't seen it yet. How I wish I had been there...

Check out the lyrics as well. Don't know how familiar you are with the Nordic languages, but as a scholar in the field I think you'll be able to appreciate the intricate formal details even without knowing the words as such.

Reactions: tuonelan
I know a little bit of Swedish, but don't have much of a vocabulary yet and am still sorting out the grammar and syntax, but yes, I know a bit about the patterns of skaldic verse from studying the Poetic Edda and Anglo Saxon poetry. I appreciate what these guys are doing on an intellectual level, that's just not how I tend to connect first with music, so I'm having to take the time to listen to Skålmöld and make the connection where (Opeth and Amorphis and Enslaved started out hitting me where I'd connect right away with their compositional styles). Right now Skålmöld would have to jump ahead of Shining and Fen on my list of bands I'm interested in getting into, though, and they are kind of vying with Ereb Altor for my more viking moods when Enslaved just won't cover it all.

Reactions: Eurynome
This week -- a mix of Opeth (Sorceress, Ghost Reveries), Jethro Tull (Stormwatch), Led Zeppelin (Various), Meshuggah (The Violent Sleep of Reason), and Riverside (Second Life Syndrome, Anno Domini High Definition).

That and Under the Red Cloud when Mrs. Tuonelan is choosing music for the car.

Under The Red Cloud is still in regular rotation, at least once a week! And most of the Joutsen era albums are listened to frequently. I've also been listening to the new Soilwork, The Ride Majestic, Scar Symmetry (The Unseen Empire), Napalm Death (Words From The Exit Wound), Snapcase (Progression Through Unlearning), Gorguts (Colored Sands), Gojira (From Mars To Sirius), Paradise Lost (The Plague Within). This morning I was listening to the first EP from my old band, Genus (Afraid Of Something Greater).

I haven't had much time to listen to anything lately, but Come The Spring has been stuck in my head for at least a week now. Which is obviously no complaint. <3

Amorphis is the only band I never get tired of listening to! Sometimes I have to force myself to listen to other stuff lol!

Been listening to Oddland's "The Treachery of Senses" recently, and that album just seems to get better with age. Even after four years I'm still discovering new things about it.

Amendfoil just released "Empyrean & Ophidian" as well. It's a decent record but can't match their debut full-length.

Reactions: tuonelan
It is very good, but then so many Enslaved albums are. Personally, I'd rate Ruun above it. I'm also much fonder of Monumension than is Ivar. Not surprising, really, considering that that album came out of a time when the band was breaking and Below the Lights was the album where they rebuilt the band.

I still remember seeing them live for the first time when they were touring with Opeth supporting Vertebrae. Think I fell in love with their music somewhere between "Ruun" and "As Fire Swept Clean the Earth" back to back in the setlist.

Reactions: Brell
Good old Enslaved, hey. I'm pretty old skool and their first three albums 'Vikingligr Veldi', 'Frost' and 'Eld' will always be my favourites.

Now playing: Dark Tranquillity - Atoma. I've only just discovered they have a new album out. It's good, reminds me a lot of the last one 'Construct' which I really liked. I love it, all the bands from my teenage years are still making music. It's incredible.

Speaking of... just picked up The Sleeping Gods - Thorn EP (digital, but that's true for most of my stuff). Had downloaded The Sleeping Gods when it was free from Scion A/V and searched out digital rips of the songs from Thorn after the vinyl sold out and there was no way of getting them legally. Don't mind dropping the $ to make it all legit now that I have that opportunity.

I absolutely love "Alu Misyrki," which out-Darkthrones Darkthrone, and "The Sleeping Gods" hits me on a totally primitive level. Both are on my list of favorite Enslaved songs.

I have Vertebrae, but I haven't heard much else from Enslaved. From what I've heard, they've made quite an interesting progression as a band.

I have Vertebrae, but I haven't heard much else from Enslaved. From what I've heard, they've made quite an interesting progression as a band.

Listen to the Eld album and tell me you don't wish you were a Viking.

Now playing: Motley Crüe - Saints of Los Angeles.