what are you reading?

Oh not Hemingway! :erk:

The desk currently has space for a large compendium of essays on elements of Nazi historiography and Pirsig's Lila.

What's wrong with Hemingway?!?!? He makes me feel so manly when I read his work!

That's the thing, he's so terribly bland!

In reference to Hemingway: He's perhaps the most overrated author I know of. But if someone likes him on their own volition, due to his writing and not what they heard, then so be it--thats all that matters. However, Ive only met a few American English lit department writers who love his work and confused high school literature students. His short stories are very good--especially the Killers and A Clean Well Lit Place. And he perfected journalistic fiction writing--which I dont think is a good thing, but someone I suppose had to do it. Hell, most pop fiction sort of is influenced by Hemingway--again, not a good thing. So, his novels are absolutely terrible, and I'm always at a loss as to how he got popular. He really only told stories of his own life--and a sad, strangely homoerotic one at that--thus they're not very creative. Plus, the same style was sort of pioneered by Stephen Crane in the 1890's, and Crane was a better writer.

Hey thats cool. Its all a matter of personal preference (literature I mean). But i do recommend trying some other classic and contemporary authors-- for your enjoyment of course.

Oh yeah. I'll read pretty much anything. I don't like to stop reading a book once I've begun it. I've read some Shakesperean stuff. And poems, I like poems too.

I've just read The Black Dahlia by James Elroy. I haven't seen the film, but the book is pretty gruesome. If you like murder, crime and LA you'll certainly like this.

I didnt know people still read Mein Kampf. But Hitler is an interesting character--in his drive to recreate the world, not his terrible beliefs--, and one I think any artist who dabbles in non-artistic activies can relate to.

Blah. Though I love history, I haven't bothered with Mein Kampf. I prefer analytical books on Hitler. I have a collection of them on my bookshelf. I call it my "Hit-Lit" section. Yea, I'm lame.

House of Leaves

That book looks like a really disturbing and unsettling read. I'll have to obtain a copy at some point.

Finished 'The Butcher Boy' today. It's an Irish novel by Patrick McCabe that, through the perspective of the main character, tells the childhood tale of a young, troubled and obsessed Irish lad as he gradually goes insane. The style of writing is quite peculiar, almost ''semi-grammatical'', one might say, but that only accentuates the child-like, often poignant narrative. One journo described it as being ''emotionally exhausting'', which pretty well nails it on the head. Another described Francie, the protagonist, as ''switching from mischief to madness as an adolescent obsession turns Dennis the Menace into Jack the Ripper''. It's incredibly sad throughout, yet is laced with traces of cruel black humour.

Just finished;
tarmacwarrior4ne.jpg

The true story of Billy 'The Tarmac Warrior' Cribb, Bare Knuckle fighter, Mob enforcer, illegal Cage Fighter, born again Christian, reformed drug addict and now, drugs councillor and amateur boxing promoter. Amazing life, amazing man.

If you want an introduction to Hitlerian thought, try this two-page document:

http://www.hitler.org/writings/programme/

I don't read much historical stuff, but I'm reading J.T. Fehrenbach's "Lone Star" about the formation of the greatest NATION on earth.

I'm familiar with most of that, but thank you nonetheless. I've spent much time musing over the character and ideology of Hitler.

You consider Texas to be a nation?