what are you reading?

At the moment, I'm reading Crime & Punishment. It kicks ass, needless to say.

Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray

Excellent book. If you like it, obviously you'd like Huysmans Rebours, or on the darker but similar side, Gogol's The Potrait--also about a demonic painting, but this story is about greed and the resulting loss of artistic vision greed produces.

Just about everything Wilde done was worthy of attention. He was a man very much deserved of praise, and could justify his complete flamboyance - something most wannabe Wilde-ean impersonators can only dream of.

He's often pictured in the works of Bill Drummond (particularly Bad Wisdom) as a character of some great wispy madness, which works beautifully. Plus, you can quote him almost endlessly.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"

"We're all in the gutters, but some of us are staring at the stars"

(On his death bed) "Either those curtains go or I do".

Genius. :lol:

Oh and I'm reading The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl, which thus far is quite decent and I'm reading Lucretius' De Rerum Natura, which, as a piece of late Republican literature, has me absolutely salivating at how it fits into a unique context of the 50s B.C.

Erik Haaest - 'Forræddere' (Traitors)

About the Danish volunteer battalion 'Frikorps Danmark' in the Waffen-SS on the eastern front in WWII.
Among others, the author has interviewed over 150 of the veterans.
It is an exciting subject, beause this 'Legion' is a part of the dark chapters of Danish history.

Next up:

I´m gonna finish Terry Pratchett - Thud! (Discworld Series)

^I've actually been looking for a WWII book about torture ala Amery (or along the lines of Torture, like des Pres), but you good sir have given me something else to read!

Can anyone recommend any good academic books on the stolen symbology of the Third Reich? All I have found on Amazon, Borders, Barnes & Noble, et al. is a giant list of feces :erk: - and it all deals with demon possession to keep the catholic church at bay...

Just started reading "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Liking it very much so far.

One of my favorites.

I'm reading Shriek: An Afterword by Jeff VanderMeer. It's quite dense and challenging without a strict structural framework. Very meandering and there are two conflicting viewpoints throughout the book, with sprinklings of articles. It's about a fictional city called Ambergris which is built on the ruins of a race of mushroom people. The main story deals with a historian and his sister, who is writing his biography. It's one of the more difficult books I've read since Viriconium by M John Harrison, which is another book about a particular city. Actually a huge influence on the Ambergris books.

^I've actually been looking for a WWII book about torture ala Amery (or along the lines of Torture, like des Pres), but you good sir have given me something else to read!

I´m not even sure it´s out in foreign languages. Let me check up on that...

edit: It´s not

Started reading some of The Bible tonight, out of curiousity/slight boredom. Couldn't get into it, I'm afraid.

Still on Crime and Punishment, but I really want to start "The Bell Curve" by Charles Murray. I'm becoming more and more interested in things dealing with the measure of intelligence and how they relate to different groups in society. I'm studying that now in my psychology course, so I can't wait to get to that book once I finish this Dostoevsky.

And, I have learned something! Dostoevsky < Tolstoy.

At the moment I'm reading: The Summoner. Book One of The Chronicles of The Necromancer. (What a long title)

It revolves around a prince who watched his brother kill the king, and is now on the run. And if he hopes to defeat his brother, he has to call upon his powers and a different set of allies: the ranks of the dead. I have liked what I've read of it so far, only downside is it's about 600 pages long.