what are you reading?

Silent Song said:
George R R Martin - A Game of Thrones. great so far. if his work maintains this level of writing, A Song of Ice and Fire is an epic fantasy series
finished all the current books in this series, it's excellent.

now reading: Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun, also very well written.

Silent Song said:
finished all the current books in this series, it's excellent.

now reading: Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun, also very well written.

Yeah I read the last two novels in the book of the long sun series first and I fuck me if I could understand what the hell was going on. Eventually I read it from the beginning

Voice of God said:
Michel Chossudovsky - Globalization of Poverty
&
Charles Bukowski - The Post Office

Bukowski is simply one of the best as far as I'm concerned. You should read some John Fante.

RookParliament said:
Yeah I read the last two novels in the book of the long sun series first and I fuck me if I could understand what the hell was going on. Eventually I read it from the beginning

The only book I could never understand was the sound and the fury, not without notes. The speaking and dialect were so hic and so sporatic without a clue to what was going on, it was just basic dialoge between people, no naration or descriptions so I didn't get past but a couple of pages before I stopped, that book was just annoying ...

this book is written from the perspective of a person writing his autobiography to readers of his own time period, which happens to be far, far in our future. the author allows this speaker to present his viewpoints as if we would know what he's talking about, and he sometimes lies or contradicts himself. none of the foreign terminology supposedly arisen from this new age is explained at all, one must infer what they are talking about

RookParliament said:
Bukowski is simply one of the best as far as I'm concerned. You should read some John Fante.

I have to agree, that was some great writing. I hadn't really started before last night, just read few pages and concentrated to the Chossudovsky... so last night I decided to switch. I ended up reading The Post Office in one sitting, hehe. That was my first Bukowski, and I'm definitely reading more. I have to check out Fante someday.

I just read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk in one weekend. I don't know why I put it off for so long, it was excellent. I guess it just seemed too predictable to read the book they made a movie out of, so I read almost all his other books first.

Now I'm reading A Death in Brazil by Peter Robb. It's damn good too! I'm slowly becoming more and more fascinated with Brazil. This book is history, anthropology, culture, politics, sex, danger, intrique, scandal and all kinds of good about a unique, beautiful and volatile country.

I'm reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Based in a world where reproduction is outlawed and humans are designed in factories to fit into certain areas of society.
Really good and a pretty scary view of what this world could become.

Lord SteveO said:
I'm reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Based in a world where reproduction is outlawed and humans are designed in factories to fit into certain areas of society.
Really good and a pretty scary view of what this world could become.

Have you ever read 1984 or We? Those are both excellent and I would recommend them if you like Brave New World.

Huxley was a proponent of downward self transcendence and the use of hallucinatory drugs to gain enlightenment.

The Dirt: Mötley Crüe Autobiography
-Bunch of egoistic & stupid crazy people get famous.... but I guess that's why this has been a fun read. :D

William King - The Skavenslayer
-Violent, gritty and cruel fantasy in my favorite "bulk"-fantasyworld.

And waiting to be started:
Bukowski - Ham on Rye
Bukowski - Notes of a dirty old man

@ Roxy Bungalow: I've been looking out for We in the bookstore here but never seen it. I've heard it's pretty much the book that gave rise to BNW and 1984?

I thought BNW was excellent, but i thought it did tend to jump about a bit in places. The overall picture of the society painted by it was interesting though, and at the same time horrifying to imagine.

Life Sucks said:
Mein Kampf

no, I'm not kidding

wow.. i'd love to read that. there are only a few of those books left, because they were burnt after the war.. where did you get it from? Is it THE acctual book that was printed at that time or only information about it? I think I should just write you a message since i don't think your gonna look at this again ^^

well I'm reading the Joy Luck Club a kind of boring book.. but oh well ^^ i guess i have to