what are you reading?

Roxy Bungalow said:
I just read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk in one weekend. I don't know why I put it off for so long, it was excellent. I guess it just seemed too predictable to read the book they made a movie out of, so I read almost all his other books first.
BOOKS R USUALLY SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE MOVIE AND I LIKED THE FIGHT CLUB MOVIE SO MUCH THAT I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO READ THE BOOK... I JUST DIDN'T GET AROUND TO IT YET

FrozenFaery said:
I'm reading "A Guide to Werewolf Literature" by Brian J. Frost. It's very interesting to read, which scans the history of werewolf stories and novels from the early times to the present day. It includes short samples from a lot of werewolf stories, some of which are really nice. The book talks about other things to do with werewolves.
WHERE CAN I GET THIS BOOK???

I JUST FINISHED THE FANTASTIC FOUR BOOK THAT CAME OUT WHEN THE MOVIE DID (STORY ARC HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MOVIE, DIFFERENT VILLIAN EVEN) AND NOVELIZATION OF BATMAN BEGINS
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THE AUTHOR IS/HOW TO GET AHOLD OF THE BOOK CALLED "CHAOS THEORY"???

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
2nd i've been typing in all caps from day 1 i just never typed on this board till today

Doing something annoying from day one isn't an excuse for continuing doing it. Anyway, I mostly got annoyed by the postflood, but I can see why you did that now. :D

I'll answer the question you pointed at me here, in case someone else likes to know. It may spoil the book a bit though.

The unusual idea behind Player of Games is the culture that the protagonist is sent into. Everything in their world revolves around big complex game, kind of like a extremely complex board/strategy-game. Even their leaders are chosen through this game. The protagonist is sent there from another culture to challenge them in that game.

My to read list:

- Just finished the Silmarilion
- Just ordered Paradise Lost
- Dante's Inferno
- The Alice in Wonderland series
- Every book on the planet ever intelegently written about Atlantis
- Anything Folk Lore or Greek Mythology

George RR. Martin- A Feast for Crows

(Awaiting the next book by Steven Erikson in his Malazan series. Fucking brilliant books.)

ptah knemu said:
My to read list:

- Just finished the Silmarilion
- Just ordered Paradise Lost
- Dante's Inferno
- The Alice in Wonderland series
- Every book on the planet ever intelegently written about Atlantis
- Anything Folk Lore or Greek Mythology

I'm a big fan of the whole Atlantis myth. I think Prof. Spyrion Marinatos solved the mystery with the discovery of Ancient Thera on present day Santorini Greece. I spent a whole summer on the island, and wrote my masters thesis on the unique wine and wine history of the island--that goes back to the times of Atlantis.

The evidence is very compelling. Thera was a highly advanced island that had every thing from plumbing, three story modern looking buildings, highly advanced art and culture. They were by far the leading traders of the time, and non-violent. They are thought to have been part of the Minoan civilization, but they could have been independent or allied with Crete.

I was told by the archealogist in charge Prof. Doumas--who has also written on the subject, that there are more ruins that have yet to be unearthed; maybe more than 50,000 people lived in the city ( and thats from 1900-1650 B.C.). Furthermore, the island is a volcano, that blew up 3,700 hundred years ago, most likely causing the flood in the Bible.

George R.R. Martin - Storm of Swords
Mika Waltari - Sinuhe Egyptiläinen (The Egyptian)

I thought to read something in finnish by a finn for a change as I noticed that probably 90% of the stuff I read is in English... So I picked up a finnish classic that I've been avoiding way too long. I recommend Waltari's historical novels to anyone who likes the genre, he should be available in translated form AFAIK.
And well, Martin is praised enough in this thread, so nothing about him.