what are you reading?

Fredy_Brown said:
Great choice....Golding is underrated classic. Or maybe not underrated but not well known :(

I had to read The Inheritors by the same author last year at school and although it is an ok book, it was pretty complex. Definately needed the teachers help with all of the symbolism and so on.

Anyway, I'm reading Colonel Qaddafi's 'The Green Book' which is quite interesting, especially the section about women's role in society.

Lately I've been reading "The Veil of a Thousand Tears" by Eric Van Lustbader and have been for quite sometime. I've been really enjoying it and it hasn't bothered me that it's taken nearly 2 years to read it.

I've also been reading over my own manuscript and typing it out. It's coming along quite nicely.

I recently had a discussion with a good friend of mine about Harry Potter. I've noticed that after the 3rd book the series has gone extremely downhill. There are books based on topics that were never mentioned through out any of the previous books and as though J.K. Rowling made up on the spot going "Okay I need material for 3 more books, lets go brain!"

Throughout the first 3 books there is almost little mention (if not none) of the Ministry and all that hoopla that the 5th book pretty much is completely about. I thought the 5th book was the worst... Until the 6th was released.

Lately her fame and publicity has gone through the roof while her quality of writing has gone the way of the shitter.

The Bringer said:
I recently had a discussion with a good friend of mine about Harry Potter. I've noticed that after the 3rd book the series has gone extremely downhill. There are books based on topics that were never mentioned through out any of the previous books and as though J.K. Rowling made up on the spot going "Okay I need material for 3 more books, lets go brain!"

Throughout the first 3 books there is almost little mention (if not none) of the Ministry and all that hoopla that the 5th book pretty much is completely about. I thought the 5th book was the worst... Until the 6th was released.

Lately her fame and publicity has gone through the roof while her quality of writing has gone the way of the shitter.

I totally agree with you.

When I was younger (read: three years ago) I really loved Harry Potter. Book 1 till 4 are great. But now, well actually from the fifth book on it's like: she's just writing because she has to write and the quality is going downhill.:erk:

Final_Product said:
It was all mediocre writing. She never surpassed the realms of the pedestrian.

She has a wonderful imagination however, that has overcome her turgid, largely unnecessary prose. Ive only read the first book however. The movies are real treats.

If she would hire a decent editor, and cut half of her novels, she'd definately already be a classic adventure/fantasy/children novelist.

speed said:
She has a wonderful imagination however, that has overcome her turgid, largely unnecessary prose. Ive only read the first book however. The movies are real treats.

If she would hire a decent editor, and cut half of her novels, she'd definately already be a classic adventure/fantasy/children novelist.

Perhaps. I just happen to be able to recall a million authors with as much imagination or even more so I find her endless worship to be a bit OTT.

The movies, I also fail to enjoy.

She disgraced the basilisk. Unforgivable.

I recently watched the first 3 movies. I didn't like the lack of imagination for a "fantasy" story. A three-headed dog guarding a passage. Hmm... something really familiar about this... And those prison guards in the third movie couldn't possibly look any more like those knights from LOTR (Nazghul, sp?). And of course the basilisk (which is NOT a damn snake), also not created by the author. Those look to be the three main beasts from the first three movies, and none are remotely original.

Maybe it's just my personal interest in cryptozoology/mythology/demonology, and I'm knit-picking, but I don't see any reason to shell out money for the books. I just think a fantasy story should be made of more creativity than piecing together used elements.

BasilisK said:
I just think a fantasy story should be made of more creativity than piecing together used elements.
I think so, I am a big fan of fantasy literature, but almost every piece of work is very schematic -> by Tolkien or Sapkowsky

BasilisK said:
I just think a fantasy story should be made of more creativity than piecing together used elements.

That is what happens when you come up with the idea "Ohhh a boy who goes to a magic school that no ordinary people can see" and then have NO story to back the idea.

Final_Product said:
Perhaps. I just happen to be able to recall a million authors with as much imagination or even more so I find her endless worship to be a bit OTT.

The movies, I also fail to enjoy.

But, her imagination, and her creativity, led her to create the perfect characters/plot line. This is the real key. She created the perfect children story set-up (albeit a bit derivative). Poor orphaned boy whose gaurdians hate him, finds out he actually has special powers, and lives in a parallel superior magical world where he is famous, and the muggles (his parents) are made fun of etc.

Every child relates to this: they have parents who dont understand, they want to be thought of as special, they want to feel superior to adults. Of course, she seems to have borrowed most of her plot lines from mythology and other sources.

Harry Potter is not that special. If you start to compare it to LOTR. Fuck, those two stories have very much in common.
Even though I think LOTR is waaaaaaaaay beter than HP

speed said:
But, her imagination, and her creativity, led her to create the perfect characters/plot line. This is the real key. She created the perfect children story set-up (albeit a bit derivative). Poor orphaned boy whose gaurdians hate him, finds out he actually has special powers, and lives in a parallel superior magical world where he is famous, and the muggles (his parents) are made fun of etc.

Every child relates to this: they have parents who dont understand, they want to be thought of as special, they want to feel superior to adults. Of course, she seems to have borrowed most of her plot lines from mythology and other sources.

OK...so she pandered to the nature of children, I fail to see why I should appreciate her writing because of that.

Saartje said:
Harry Potter is not that special. If you start to compare it to LOTR. Fuck, those two stories have very much in common.
Even though I think LOTR is waaaaaaaaay beter than HP

Tolkien was a linguist, he enjoyed language...thats why so much of LOTR sounds nice, but almost nothing of interest happens.