What Bands are right for me??

Rommyali

Mar 21, 2010
O-TOWN
For a long time I've been into underground and old school gangsta rap.

Lately, I've been seeing how fucking great the metal genre is so I decided to give it a try and found out I like it a fucking lot.

So my question is which bands do you think are right for me?

currently my favorite bands are ( in no particular order!!!!)

Cannibal Corpse
Mudvayne
Trivium

I've been listening to those 3 bands for a while and think they are the fucking shit.

So what bands do you think I will enjoy the most? I'm willing to give any type of band a try

Thanks

Your best bet would be to explore the subgenres most similar to those bands.

Cannibal Corpse is death metal, so: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal. I'd recommend Death and Deicide to stary.

Mudvayne is alternative metal, they kind of defy genre pigeonholing, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_metal. I'd suggest Ministry, also genre-defiers, though they're now defunct.

Trivium are metalcore, so http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore. Really not my thing but Killswitch Engage are well-known practitioners. You might also like Pantera, who are more groove, but influenced metalcore heavily.

And just for shits, if you're trying new things, go look up some Helloween or Iron Maiden, see if the melodic side of metal strikes your fancy at all.

Why did you bump the thread less than one minute after you posted it?

Second, stop listening those three bands. That would be a good first step.

what bands? :erk:

btw, i'll help you.

nº1 - you must listen to two bands for a week, Napalm Death and The Gathering.

nº2 - make a corpsepaint on yourself

nº3 - buy or make a t-shirt from the band Mortification

nº4 - go to an Immortal concert

nº5 - get in a band with influences of The Exploited and Agnostic Front

nº6 - now you can start to listen Lacrimosa or Type O Negative

nº7 - start to drink cold blood in the morning

nº8 - find a rope

nº9 - a tree

nº10 - you already know

For a long time I've been into underground and old school gangsta rap.

Lately, I've been seeing how fucking great the metal genre is so I decided to give it a try and found out I like it a fucking lot.

So my question is which bands do you think are right for me?

currently my favorite bands are ( in no particular order!!!!)

Cannibal Corpse
Mudvayne
Trivium

I've been listening to those 3 bands for a while and think they are the fucking shit.

So what bands do you think I will enjoy the most? I'm willing to give any type of band a try

Thanks

I'll help here, being out of all the replies I'll be the second one doing so :sigh:

First things first I'm going to be honest with you: Trivium are pretty fucking terrible. If god exists, I guarantee he would call that group of faggots "idolaters" (of the cock that is) and have them stoned to death.
Obviously that band and all their kin/peers I will not be helping you with.

You do however mention Cannibal Corpse and Mudvayne. So the question I have to ask for both bands is "do you like their older material, or their newer material?"

For Cannibal Corpse, no matter the decade/sound, similar bands will always pop up. For you I recommend a start with the following:
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness/Blessed are the Sick/Covenant
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Carcass - Necroticism; Descanting the Insalubrious
Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Vital Remains - Icons of Evil

^^These recommendations cover a wide time-frame and a huge musical style. They have their own flavors, and are relatively as catchy as can be. Each band listed sounds different from another band, but they all retain features that mark them as Death Metal. If need be, copy and paste the artist+album into google and add the word "blogspot". Most don't agree with downloading, but I feel that blind-buying is inherently a fucked practice, and having the ability to listen to something before you purchase it is a must. If you like the album be sure to buy it after you hear it, it's that simple.

Frankly, if you like rap (particularly rhythm), then check out the slam thread here. Main rec for starters is Devourment (the release 1.3.8 usually).

Now Mudvayne...
I'm honestly not sure where to start with similar bands as again, I'm not truly a fan of the band. I liked some of their earlier compositions (Death Blooms being the only one that comes to mind), but the latter half of the bands catalogue (after hearing it for the past 20 minutes) is not my cup of tea. For now I'll throw out Rammstein, Static X (1st album) and old System of a Down (like 1st & 2nd albums).

what bands? :erk:

btw, i'll help you.

nº1 - you must listen to two bands for a week, Napalm Death and The Gathering.

nº2 - make a corpsepaint on yourself

nº3 - buy or make a t-shirt from the band Mortification

nº4 - go to an Immortal concert

nº5 - get in a band with influences of The Exploited and Agnostic Front

nº6 - now you can start to listen Lacrimosa or Type O Negative

nº7 - start to drink cold blood in the morning

nº8 - find a rope

nº9 - a three

nº10 - you already know
:lol:

What combination of keys gives you that small circle(degrees)? I forgot.

I strongly recommend that you dig deeper into death metal. I couldn't stand it when i first heard it but I've really gotten into it over the past year. If you like bands like Cannibal Corpse this early on that's all the better. I also agree with Pessimism that you should check out the slam thread.

Now I know this may sound fanboy-ish, considering I use them as my username, but if you like Trivium you should check out Chimaira. They're a groove metal/ metalcore band with lots of really epic sounding songs. A lot of people say that The Impossibility of Reason is their best album but I personally like their self-titled. Every track on the album is great and really stands on its own. Listen to the tracks Lazarus, Inside the Horror, Pray For All, Salvation and Bloodlust to see if you like them. The rest of the album is just as good but these are my personal favourites. You may also want to try the songs Resurrection, Pictures In The Gold Room, Power Trip, Impending Doom, Destroy and Dominate and The Flame, among others. seriously, check them out and tell me what you think.

nah brah listen to what you want, fuck the haters. Trivium isn't as bad as everyone says they are.

You should try Pandora.com, it will recommend you songs that sound like the bands you put in. Or is that gone? I haven't tried in years.