What can we do to get more African Americans involved in metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it matters which thread it was in, you still said it.

Well i'd guess I was either trolling or responding to a troll.
Either way it's not true.

But this thread is true. And I did like Burzum in the past, very much, but then I watched Satan Rides the media and read up more on varg and found out he was actually a neo-nazi and skinhead for a while. Stuff like that is way too far for me.

And I did like Burzum in the past, very much, but then I watched Satan Rides the media and read up more on varg and found out he was actually a neo-nazi and skinhead for a while. Stuff like that is way too far for me.

I still enjoy Burzum, but I do lose some respect for Varg. I cannot express how much racism is killing the entire world. It's very sad.

I think metal culture and African American culture are not compatible. A lot of metal is anti-religion and the Black Church plays an important role in many African American communities. Plus, there aren't many African American musicians in metal. Other than Terrance Hobbs in Suffocation and Derick Green in Sepultura I really can't think of any other prominent A-A musicians in metal. When I saw Iron Man at Doom in June I was quite surprised that they had a couple of A-A members in the band.

I've thought of that to and I believe the times of anti-religion in metal are over.(or at least should be)

Islam is growing rapidly in Europe but of course is badly under represented in the metal world. I think we need a few Islamic metal bands and then the rest need to just be fully secular and not bash religion any. That would also help us attract African Americans.

how about we let people decide for themselves whatever music they want to listen to? it's not up to the bands to cater towards every possible audience out there.

I don't think it matters which thread it was in, you still said it.

Actually, without a link, there's no proof.

As for the original question I think a lot of it is a matter of aesthetic. African American genres of music (jazz, blues, soul etc) are all much more groove and rhythm oriented than rock and its spinoffs. Metal is less groove and rhythm oriented than most other genres of rock. This is probably the main reason metal doesn't have a larger popularity amongst African Americans.

On another note, in LA, metal is very popular amongst Mexicans.

I appreciate the spam in a serious thread.

I had an African American friend of mine tell me he wont go to metal concerts because they are the most segregated thing since KKK meetings.

That isn't a problem for you? The bigotry and ignorance of some people here never ceases to amaze me.

First of all, the label "African American" is the dumbest, most persistently used phrase in our vernacular. Every time you call someone an "African American," you're making at least two assumptions about the person:

1. That the person is an American. For example, if you saw this guy walking along on a street, you would probably think:
african_american_lol2.jpg

...which is fine, except for one small detail: this man is British, which makes you a presumptuous cock.

2. That the person is African (because it's inconceivable that black people could come from Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica). Nevermind that; BLACK PEOPLE ONLY COME FROM AFRICA.

Not to mention that every time you give a black person the distinction of being "African American" out of a mixed group, you're making an assumption about an entire continent; not everyone from Africa is black. I guarantee all you politically correct morons out there have never called a white person an African American. Of course you could avoid all these problems by using the same standards on blacks as you would on whites by simply assuming that all whites are from Africa just as you do for all blacks, but that might be too forward, and in a polite society like ours, people would be all too pleased to point out which of the 192 countries you didn't guess they were actually from.

source : maddox.xmission.com :lol:

Well, i can only say that to African-Americans to STAY AWAY from metal. The genre is already polluted with all the gay metalcore bands. We absolutely don't want something else polluting the genre more.

Black Americans just don't get metal. There are some countries where you get some black people every now and then who play in some killer bands; countries like Brazil, Chile, etc. (Okay so I guess it's pretty much just a South American phenomenon).

Status
Not open for further replies.