What can we do to get more African Americans involved in metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2010
Both as musicians and fans.

Right now metal has a bad reputation as being racist(mostly due to a few figures from the black metal scene and some openly racist death metal bands). As a huge fan of the music I cannot stand this image it has and really think it needs to be changed.

My main suggestion is that metal should branch away from European history themes. Common themes like knights, kings, nordic landscapes, vikings, and anything else associated with European history need to go before african Americans can form a bond with the music. I think bands should sing about Zulu warriors and other African heroes as they were also very brave and bad-ass. Also any openly racist band or musician should be immediately barred from any large label and should be boycotted by all.

What can you guys think of to be done?

Thats a good example of the problem.

I blame it mostly on Varg Vikernes, he is really the idealogical father of so called nsbm.

I don't blame African-Americans for not liking metal when yuo have bands like that. I hope all of you will stop supporting and be sure to not spread the name of any such band.

Have the Thrash Metal fans wear baggier jeans.

I appreciate the spam in a serious thread.

I had an African American friend of mine tell me he wont go to metal concerts because they are the most segregated thing since KKK meetings.

That isn't a problem for you? The bigotry and ignorance of some people here never ceases to amaze me.

I hope all of you will stop supporting and be sure to not spread the name of any such band.

I wouldn't stop spreading the word of Burzum, but I would definitely not bring Varg's racism up. He is a dick, but a musical genius. I hate the fact that being being black and liking metal is "rare" and "different". Metal is supposed to be diverse. It's a family. It applies to whoever loves metal.

I had an African American friend of mine tell me he wont go to metal concerts because they are the most segregated thing since KKK meetings.

That isn't a problem for you? The bigotry and ignorance of some people here never ceases to amaze me.

Just a joke, man. I only say this because when I was in school, I dressed like a Thrasher. I wore the skin tight jeans, and always got shit from black kids. When I saw Slayer, I saw some skinheads with Swastikas tattooed on their fucking heads. You think I like that? Fuck no. I'm mexican, and got my ass stared at the whole concert because of that. I'm not being ignorant, it was simply a joke.

Seriously. This guy is just a troll. He posted a "lol varg is gay" thread and deleted what the first post said a few seconds after posting it. He never met Euronymous, he doesnt have a black friend, he's just some asshole that semi-regularly trolls here.

I think metal culture and African American culture are not compatible. A lot of metal is anti-religion and the Black Church plays an important role in many African American communities. Plus, there aren't many African American musicians in metal. Other than Terrance Hobbs in Suffocation and Derick Green in Sepultura I really can't think of any other prominent A-A musicians in metal. When I saw Iron Man at Doom in June I was quite surprised that they had a couple of A-A members in the band.

I wouldn't stop spreading the word of Burzum, but I would definitely not bring Varg's racism up. He is a dick, but a musical genius. I hate the fact that being being black and liking metal is "rare" and "different". Metal is supposed to be diverse. It's a family. It applies to whoever loves metal.

Varg Vikernes does indeed have musical talent and is a very intelligent man. That is the reason Burzum(and other right wing bands) should not be promoted. When an unhappy kid hears someone like Vikernes, who knows how to speak well and plays good music, they are very likely to listen and adopt his views.

Metalheads have always been a bit different from the rest of people and tend to live more on the fringes of society. This makes them so much more susceptible to these extreme racist/homophobic ideas then the average person.

I agree, but these days they don't give metal much of a chance. Sometimes people don't realize that, like I said earlier, if you love Metal, you're accepted by a family of people. Except for the people who bitch about which band is "real" metal or not.

For real?

Well, sometimes he's still in school
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ed-yesterday-during-school-metal-related.html

Then in this thread....
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ion/661006-now-how-trve-kvlt-black-metal.html

he's 36

Well, I am 36 years old now so you do the math.
And how have I contradicted myself?
I like some black metal music.

And he also says burzum is his favorite band

Ive said like 10 times that I like black metal. Burzum is my favorite band.

Seriously. This guy is just a troll. He posted a "lol varg is gay" thread and deleted what the first post said a few seconds after posting it. He never met Euronymous, he doesnt have a black friend, he's just some asshole that semi-regularly trolls here.

You have me mistaken with someone else.
I have never posted a thread about Varg being gay or about meeting Euronymous.

You have me mistaken with someone else.
I have never posted a thread about Varg being gay or about meeting Euronymous.

...but...

The 2nd wave was comprised of great musicians, they were just very immature in a lot of ways. I personally have met 2 famous 2nd wavers, Euronymous and Faust I met at Helvete back in like 91, and at that time I was a dumbass just like them. i thought Euronymous was so cool. Faust was cool, I still think so. But Euronymous was just a short, fat prick.

Status
Not open for further replies.