what death band in your opinion....

Stormwatch said:
I'm actually loving the new Krisiun album, and that's more technical than they get credit for. It's absolutely crushing as well.
Fucking superb.

I saw them live. I was blown away. I just kept going "duuuuuuuuuuude" after every song

EDIT: 666 posts! woot :Shedevil: :Shedevil: :Shedevil: :Shedevil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

When are people gonna pull their hand out of Karl Sanders ass and realise that Nile is no more technical than 90% of other brutal death metal. THEY AREN'T TECH METAL. :mad:

I know, i'm not saying they are bad because they aren't technical I just think people make them out to be far more technically proficient than they actually are.

necrophagist isn't that technical, they're just better than most tech-death bands. their patterns aren't really much.

complex composition = technicality
complex soloing over simple composition = not so much

composition has nothing to do with technicality... something can be extremely technical without working compositionally... however I get the feeling that you see it sort of like I do that technical ability will only go so far, you need other shit or you fall far behind like Dream Theater(but thats a whole other topic)

i mean that they are not compositionally complex. that's exactly what techicality means to me, as a musician. they just play relatively simple stuff at a high speed. there is a difference between training yourself to play a bunch of riffs really fast through muscle memory, then playing them all in a row, and actually writing music that is difficult to play. music that is psychologically difficult to understand, let alone execute. all their key changes are quite obvious in a theory-textbook-relativity kind of way.

they're good, i dunno.

Teh Grimarse said:
i mean that they are not compositionally complex. that's exactly what techicality means to me, as a musician. they just play relatively simple stuff at a high speed. there is a difference between training yourself to play a bunch of riffs really fast through muscle memory, then playing them all in a row, and actually writing music that is difficult to play. music that is psychologically difficult to understand, let alone execute. all their key changes are quite obvious in a theory-textbook-relativity kind of way.

they're good, i dunno.

im curious to see what you would recomend as some good compositionally complex artists, i have infinite love for the tech and what you are talking about seems really interesting

Teh Grimarse said:

they're good, i dunno.
aye I see exactly what you're saying, though it seems we differ here in regards to what constitutes technicality /shrug... when i refer to techicality its merely a measure of the skill required to play that piece regardless of how great or poorly its written. Someone could just sit down with no knowledge of music and throw together a random assortment of #s for tabs that didn't repeat with a large amount of space between frets and have an extremely difficult piece of music to play that sounds like shit for example(*cough*Origin*cough)... I don't know if I'd refer to most of their sweeping runs and solos(basically most parts of the Necrophagist songs) as simple... Overall I access all genres by the criteria of Technicality, Composition, and Innovation, clearly Classical has all of these facets for example... Hip Hop on the other hand lets just say that doesn't go anywhere since much of their music is plagiarized(including DJ Africa Bombasta stealing from Industrial/Electronic band Kraftwerk) with rather basic arrangements at best... but yeah anyways I see what you're saying and I respect that you could explain it without resorting to the i'm right because x=gay argument that so many people seem to favor these days.

How the fuck are people calling Mithras horrible? Forever Advancing .... Legions is an amazing album.

Pull The Plug said:
When are people gonna pull their hand out of Karl Sanders ass and realise that Nile is no more technical than 90% of other brutal death metal. THEY AREN'T TECH METAL. :mad:
When they stop being more technical than 90% of other brutal death metal.

I'll admit, they aren't the most technical band out there, but to say that they aren't more technical than any other death metal band is simply ludicrous.

Ex-cally-boo said:
How the fuck are people calling Mithras horrible? Forever Advancing .... Legions is an amazing album.

That might be so, I haven't heard it. Worlds beyond the veil, however, is like listening to a bunch of rehearsal tape riffs, played backwards through an old tape recorder to the accompanyment of a click track while a 3rd rate vocalist barks new age shit over it.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.:headbang:

LordoftheStorms said:
When they stop being more technical than 90% of other brutal death metal.

I'll admit, they aren't the most technical band out there, but to say that they aren't more technical than any other death metal band is simply ludicrous.

I referred specifically to brutal death metal and it is no way near ludicrous.

Lust Of Decay, Decrepit Birth, Domination Through Impurity, Pyaemia, Vomit The Soul etc etc...All considered "typical" brutal death bands, but technically outdo Nile easily.

If you'd like me to give you a list just ask.