What do u respect in music?

YaYoGakk...I love Calvin & Hobbs! :D

Can you respect music that isnt original if it is technically brilliant? (If a band comes along that are completely copying opeth but are doing it really well) It's been said with much more detail, but if they're just going to copy another band - even if it's done brilliantly - it's just a copy now and they're good for clubs that can't afford the real deal. Is that too harsh to some of you? Now, if you're copying the style and not completely duplicating the work...well, every idea comes from somewhere! I think it has to happen to discover new sounds.

Can you respect music that isnt technically brilliant if it is original? Is nothing important as long as the music is truely emotional? I think a combination of the two is what makes music great. I'll give ya an "A" for respect though. You did come up with that sound all by yourselves.

Can you respect music that is written for money/fame reasons?
Or can you respect music that isnt emotional, but maybe has another purpose (such as dance music)?
No. Bah Humbug. It reeks. If you're such an artists that you want to share your music with the whole world, why would you let it get to this? See, I'm reading this question and I see two answers and they're both the opposite. Now I'm thinking, sure if there's feeling and....nope. The "money/fame" words up there are killing it. No respect to be had. I'm too happy with why Opeth are making music to condone this behavior. :tickled:

Can you respect a band that changes because the fans want it to change? I think Duvall said it. Do they really ever change for the fans? I mean, some have CLAIMED it's what the fans wanted, but it is all about labels...no?

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Respecting music..hmmm...

I respect music if that's what it is, just music. Where I have a problem is when musicians use music as a forum to get some real message accross. For instance, Ice-T coming out of L.A., with all the hatred. His music was a forum to state his side of the story, and how bad it was with the police. I'm not questionaing how bad it was, just that personally, I had always believed music was an outlet for the listener, not a forum for the artist to speak his/her message to the potential millions who would buy an album and listen. That's when I loose respect for an artist. Go to the newspaper, go on TV with an interview, but don't put your message in an album for sale on music shelfs.

I absolutely disagree with the above.

First of all you contradict yourself in saying that "music was an outlet for the listener", and than saying that [they use music] as forum for the artist to get his point across. (I guess it was some form of outlet..., both for him and the listeners)

Secondly, a music should never be an outlet for the listener; rather the musician. You write music despite of the fans... otherwise you're a worthless pop band.

Thirdly, Ice-T is a talented musician. He did a heavy metal album which was pretty fucking good. Songs like KKK Bitch, Evil Dick and Winner Loses are classics.

His lyrics were pretty unusual too. And I quote:

"So what we're really tryin' to say is Body Count loves everybody. We love Mexican girls, Black girls, Oriental girls, it really don't matter. If you're from Mars, and you got a pussy, we will fuck you"

"Evil dick likes warm wet places,
evil dick don't care about faces.
Evil dick likes tiny small spaces
evil dick leaves littel goey telltale traces.
My girl caught me skeezin and said I wasn't shit
I said "it wasn't me, baby, it was my muthafucka evil dick!".

BODY COUNT'S IN THA HAAAAAAAAAOOSE! *WEEEEEEEEEEE (police siren)EEEEEEE*
man i love this shit although it's definetely not my kind of music. i got a BC tape when i was 14 or such... great stuff. i should consider digging it out again and listening to it while driving a car

Originally posted by VultureCulture
BODY COUNT'S IN THA HAAAAAAAAAOOSE! *WEEEEEEEEEEE (police siren)EEEEEEE*
man i love this shit although it's definetely not my kind of music. i got a BC tape when i was 14 or such... great stuff. i should consider digging it out again and listening to it while driving a car

Yeah I just skimmed da CD when I wrote that. Body Count in da house....

Although I'm not sure those lyrics were especially intriguing :loco:, I do really disagree with what Metalmancpa wrote. For the reason that Wolff wrote: No one should be writing music for OTHER people.

The fact that you don't like it when people get political in their songs seems to say that you don't like to *think* when you listen to music. If I agree with a band's message, I love it. If I don't agree with it, I just don't listen to it. But music has often been a catalyst for social change. To think it's only purpose is to satisfy your craving for some mindless melodies after a long day at work is ridiculous.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound harsh at all. It's hard to convey tone on here. :loco:

Originally posted by Lina
Although I'm not sure those lyrics were especially intriguing :loco:, I do really disagree with what Metalmancpa wrote. For the reason that Wolff wrote: No one should be writing music for OTHER people.

The fact that you don't like it when people get political in their songs seems to say that you don't like to *think* when you listen to music. If I agree with a band's message, I love it. If I don't agree with it, I just don't listen to it. But music has often been a catalyst for social change. To think it's only purpose is to satisfy your craving for some mindless melodies after a long day at work is ridiculous.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound harsh at all. It's hard to convey tone on here. :loco:

Agree on most you said here. As far as lyrics they are amusing to me. I guess you disagree for the same reason most girls (all in my experience) don't like Andrew Dice Clay. That's another topic I don't want to get into.

If I like it, I respect it. I don't care who they rip off, if it's good, I respect it. If it isn't technical, but original and has emotion I respect it. If it is original, but totaly sucks and has no effect on my emotion, then I don't respect it. It takes talent to produce an actual musical emotion, thereby elimiating the possibility of untalented, yet emotional music.

I don't think I can respect commercial music (Cradle of Filth, Rotting Christ, Six Feet Under, Cannibal Corpse, etc.) because it all tends to lack emotion. Music is made through a compulsion to do so. Some bands do start out making music solely for the purpose of making music, but end up selling out, like Metallica. I cannot respect new Metallicas music because of this. Yes, it may have emotion, but it's very stagnate and sterile. I can respect music that isn't emotinal, but serves another purpose, however I tend not to like it. I do find some trance to be emotional. It would be crazy to say no dance music is emotional, because all music can be emotional.

And as for bands who cange because their fans want them to, yes and no. I can respect them for doing it for the fans, but I cannot respect them for deviating from what they originaly wanted to play. Like someone on this board once said about classical music the composers wrote music out of a maniacal compulsion to do so, and if people happend to like their music, then so be it. I'm not sure how accurate that was, but that is the point of music. You don't write for fans, you write for you. You don't go to your fans, your fans come to you.

Anyways, I respect any music that has beauty (I don't care about anyones definition of beauty, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder). It may be hard to find the beauty in some music, but it is there. If there is emotion, there is beauty. And even if it is completely devoid of beauty, I still like it. I like alot of black metal. You may say "black metal is not beautiful". However there is plenty of beauty in Emperor, Arcturus, etc. And as for raw black metal bands like Darkthrone? Well fuck beauty, they aren't supposed to be beautiful, they are supposed to be "grim" and "necro".

I respect band like
Pink Floyd, Queen, The Eagles...stuff like that
and I dont respect bands like Korn, Limp Bizdick etc...
thats all

Originally posted by Lina

Lina,

To me, it's not about "thinking" about the music. I have always had a narrow-minded approach to music, always wanting to keep it artistic, and not political. In a small way, it's no different to me than the seperation of church and state, or wanting our government to stay out of certain aspects of our lives.

I go to music for a release - to get away from the daily grind. I want the music to take me somewhere, which is why Opeth is so important musically to me. The TV, radio, & newspapers are the mediums for messages (IMO). I don't go to the music shelves looking for messages, thus, I resent when I find what i think is music, and I get a message.

Again, this is my humble opinion of what music means to ME. So, others like lyrics, and some to more extent than others. I just have never been "into" lyrics.

And Lina - no harshness felt here.
:)

What do I respect in music?

If the question pertains to music as an art form, I respect true musicians.

If the question pertains to music as a business, I respect those who succeed in the business without sacrificing their integrity.

Originally posted by Wolff
As far as lyrics they are amusing to me. I guess you disagree for the same reason most girls (all in my experience) don't like Andrew Dice Clay. That's another topic I don't want to get into.
I'm hardly a prissy little easily-offended, politically-correct feminist! I just didn't think those lyrics were a good example of Ice-T's intellect and message. Funny maybe, but not helping your argument. :loco:

Metalmancpa -- I understand what you're saying completely. I'm confused, though, why you say you can't "respect" bands with a message. To me, that implied you don't think any band should be allowed to do it. Maybe you're interchanging "respect" for what you personally prefer.