What do we mean by "groove" in thrash / death metal?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I've seen this term used a lot when describing death metal drummers, but can you give me album examples?

Yesterday I was listening to Sepultura's Arise, and one song in particular really seemed to 'groove' along -- "Desperate Cry". Is this the sort of "groove" that people refer to when discussing drummers?

And if that's the case, would it be fair to say that Igor Cavelera has his groove down?

stella02.jpg

Groove in death metal are pretty much the heavier, plooding moments. when the guitars bass and drums are more evenly syncopated to a slower beat. Consider the song "Reek of Putrefaction" which begins with slow, ominious "groovy" moments, before the blasting takes off.

Desperate Cry is indeed an awesome song, but I doubt I'd ever describe Igor's drumming as grooving. The guy just does bass/snare/bass beats 90% of the time. A superbly mediocre drummer.

Then again, I can't think of any death metal I've heard that had any amount of groove to it. Maybe I just don't define groove the same way.

hmm ... I use the term loosely ... but to me its a drummer that can get a fat beat stuck in my head ... kinda like a great riff ...

Igor, Lombardo, Tardy, even Sandoval ... all great at it ...

Blood Red Throne is great a this ... where the drums and guitar are almost playing the same thing ... creating this fat sound ... love that stuff.

groove to me is this thing that just makes me want to fucking headbang. It's a nice chugging beat and i'm just headbanging away. Usually with or strongly desiring a beer in hand.

Groove is when shit gets like chugchiggachugchug chug chiggachigchugga chug chug chigga chug bwooooooowwwwwdiggadwowwwwwwc chugga squeeeeeeeewwwwwweeeeeeeee

Yea but Ali's asking about drummers, not guitarists.

So it goes like this.

bbbbbbbppppbpppbp bpppb bppbppbpb bpo bpppppppp bpppp ooobppp bpppp ppppppppp boooooo BANG

Stupid illegal immigrant rally tomorrow at noon.

"On May 1, stand up for immigrant rights. Join immigrants and supporters to make May 1 a national “day without an immigrant.” We will settle for nothing less than full amnesty and legalization for the millions of undocumented workers presently in the United States. Let’s show the government, corporations and politicians that a powerful, united peoples’ movement has the power to win Civil Rights, workers’ rights and make history. No Work! No School! No Business as usual!

The A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition, along with other pro-immigrant organizations, has been working hard to build May 1 and the overall immigrant right struggle. We've passed out over 150,000 flyers for May 1, gathered thousands of petition signatures demanding amnesty for all immigrants and held public street meetings all over Los Angeles to promote the movement. Join the struggle for full equality and justice today!"

Go the fuck home. I also like how if you openly say "yea i'm against immigration rights", people turn their heads and look at you like your the devil.

KILL TULLY said:
Groove is when shit gets like chugchiggachugchug chug chiggachigchugga chug chug chigga chug bwooooooowwwwwdiggadwowwwwwwc chugga squeeeeeeeewwwwwweeeeeeeee

so it's like a breakdown....???