What do you do on Ebay when

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
The seller charges you $10 for shipping via overnight mail, and then promptly sticks a stamp on an envelope and mails it that way?

I threatened to leave him negative feedback, and he simply said he'd do the same in return even though I did nothing wrong.

lizard said:
take a pic of your latest dump and email it to him.

Take your latest dump and send it to him after having taken a pic of the whole operation . Seems better to me.

Dark One said:
The seller charges you $10 for shipping via overnight mail, and then promptly sticks a stamp on an envelope and mails it that way?

I threatened to leave him negative feedback, and he simply said he'd do the same in return even though I did nothing wrong.

I would hit him with a big fat negative ... and if he gives you one in return, you can get it removed by eBay ... don't be afraid of getting a negative ... this is how these fuckers get ahead.

because of ebays high commission fees, everyone does this gouging on shipping rates as this cannot be touched by eBay

Erik said:
file a complaint with ebay. they'll probably require you to scan the envelope with the postage and provide all sorts of information, you decide if it's worth the time and effort to get $10 or so back (and possibly the dude will get some repercussions)

The guy conveniently left off his return address. Truly a shady character. He even tried to add an extra $30 fee after the end of the auction. When I called him on it, he said "yeah, that was a mistake". Horseshit. I hate sellers like this.

lurch70 said:
I would hit him with a big fat negative ... and if he gives you one in return, you can get it removed by eBay ... don't be afraid of getting a negative ... this is how these fuckers get ahead.

I was thinking that, but how do you get it removed? I couldn't find the right link.

lurch70 said:
because of ebays high commission fees, everyone does this gouging on shipping rates as this cannot be touched by eBay

I can understand adding say, an extra buck or two for your time, but that kind of markup is beyond ridiculous.

Dark One said:
I was thinking that, but how do you get it removed? I couldn't find the right link.

I can understanding adding say, an extra buck or two for your time, but that kind of markup is beyond ridiculous.

i know it's ridiculous ... but this how some idiots think they can get long term customers on ebay ... sell something for $1 ... ebay fees on their end maybe .20 cents ... then charge $15 for shipping (actual shipping cost maybe $3.00) ... pocket the profit.

businesses I worked with, we have a combined 10K feedback ... seen all kids of shit.

lurch70 said:
i know it's ridiculous ... but this how some idiots think they can get long term customers on ebay ... sell something for $1 ... ebay fees on their end maybe .20 cents ... then charge $15 for shipping (actual shipping cost maybe $3.00) ... pocket the profit.

It's amazing that as big as Ebay has become, that there aren't preventative measures in place to prevent this type of thing. I mean, Ebay's the one missing out on their percentage here.

Erik said:
what can they do though? it's "shipping and handling". anyone can claim that the time they spent packing the item was worth $10 and claim that the "handling" fees are to cover that, and ebay will have a really hard time contesting that, especially for thousands and thousands of sellers.

Yeah, it's definitely fucked up to say the least. I honestly don't know, but a shipping markup of over $5 for small items should not be allowed.

I always check at least three feedback pages before I buy something. And to be honest, I rarely buy something from outside the US.

Maybe I'm confused, but how exactly did this guy "mark up" his selling price? In my experience, shipping charges are clearly stated before you bid. I list $3 as s/h charge for one CD, so it'd be dffcult for me to convince someone to pay $10 for shipping.

And if I had a seller that all of a sudden raised the shipping price, I simply wouldn't pay for the item, get negative feedback and leave the same for him, and then plead my case to eBay.

Erik said:
besides, i don't really see a problem with this. i have no sympathy for ebay losing a few dollars here and there, they make enough money doing basically nothing as it is... as long as you're aware of what you're buying, and the shipping charges are stated clearly, well, great, you can decide yourself if it's a good deal or not.

Yes, but this was stated by the seller - "item will be federal expressed to your door next day. Add $ 10.00 mailing."

The item was then sent in an envelope with a friggin' stamp on it.

Like Erik said, I guess at least I know was seller to definitely avoid in the future.

Erik said:
learn which sellers are scumbags and which are a-ok. of course, there is no foolproof way of doing that, but experience helps... you can usually see which ones are the mom and pop type honest sellers and which are more likely to try and rip you off... different listing styles, sorta.

Indeed.