what do you do when you're down?

sillyducky

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2013
hey,I often have moments when I just wanna be alone or scream my lungs out..just frustrated of some people or stuff.I wondered what you guyz do when you feel like that.I try to listen to some music or ride my bike.

Music and bike riding, just like you. Listening to music whilst bike riding is even greater.

have a wank

listen to my "comfort music" such as zz top, ac dc, whitesnake, 80s Judas Priest etc.

This is a big topic, because metal fans get down and depressed too sometimes or even often. I have problems with inner rage and depression. I go out into the world and it's mixed, cold, chaotically ignorant signals make me tense and I don't like what I see. I feel like I am in a Voivod nightmare, when I would really envision rather being in a world like the cover of Candlemass Ancient Dreams. What I try to do is go home! To my mancave/sanctuary. I also need time to reconnect with the positive energy hidden within me. I ask myself who am I? What REALLY matters in life. Listen to Firewind's Falling to pieces track as a reference. Of course finding comfort music is huge. What type of music is calling you at this moment? Also, it's going to sound funny but a good orgasm helps cheer the spirit naturally, in addition to a beer or some comfort food etc. Hang in there, life is brutal.

If you want to scream your lungs out... find a place... scream. If you have that urge, it's really best to just scream.

That is... one of the only urges of that type that I'd suggest you just follow through with.

If I get mad or depressed, I often just grab a guitar. If that doesn't work, rub one out? lol Or create something. A bike ride is always nice too.

Bike. Period. I mean shit - It's so relaxing that I feel like I'm literally flying to outer space when I ride it. Yes, you'd imagine that's a pretty great feeling.

I like to play medieval themed video games and listening to folk metal, sketch while listening to metal, and sleep while imagining myself at a concert screaming my face off.

I just like the energy that comes from metal music because sometimes you just want to shout/scream and just let go.

If you want to scream go for it. Jam a pillow over your face and let it out.
Some of the things I do:
Hit the weights. "Grip it and rip it" until I'm good and tired.
Go down to the range in the National Forest and shoot the hell out of some paper targets.
Write. Write down whatever is bothering you. Write it down exactly as it comes out of you. When you get finished start a fire in your fire place or a hole in the ground. Feed each sheet in and send that shit to hell!

Listen to metal. I have cut myself before, but out of boredom, not depression. Nothing helps with depression like heavy metal.

I visit some of my Facebook friend feeds and realize - "damn, I got it pretty good." :tickled:

Some of my friends I think live to whine and cry about how life treats them like shit, yet they don't do all that much to help themselves!

I visit some of my Facebook friend feeds and realize - "damn, I got it pretty good." :tickled:

Some of my friends I think live to whine and cry about how life treats them like shit, yet they don't do all that much to help themselves!

Sometimes I read people's depressive stories online, and stuff like that. I don't have a Facebook account, so I can't really do that. Sometimes, I will listen to DSBM when I feel somewhat depressed. I don't find it all that interesting, so I'm more likely to listen to something motivational or inspiring, think Twilight if of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth. Burzum is great too for that, even though it may not be inspiring in the same way as something energetic and exciting like melodic death metal. Sometimes, when I'm down, I watch The Simpsons, the only television show I like. It's funny. I don't like serious television, but I love serious, morbid, and dark music.

when I'm frustrated I tend to do things that bring back a sense of order and "having a grip on it": most of the time it's re-organizing something (the more frustrated the bigger the things: from bills to furniture ^^ ), or getting it out physically on a bike, or swimming, or anything where I can focus.
when I'm sad, it's a different picture. then i usually sulk in my own little private hell and listen to music with lyrics that complain about how mean the entire nasty world is ^^ after a day or two I usually see how pathetic I am and get my shit together again.

Listen to metal, that's my true savior. That's my bestfriend, that's the one who saves me from the darkness when it engulfs me.

I write down my feeling in a notebook, some become later lyrics and some stay note in a book. I also then listen to music but there it can varied a lot as sometime it is band with lyrics who touch me and other time more brutal band depend if i'm pissed or sad. When i'm very pissed or frustrate it happen I swear in Finnish, very useful at work as no one understand then what I say