What do you expect from the future?

Going back on topic:

I just thought that having some sort of augmented reality (preferred glasses, since im afraid to put anything in my eye) would display subtitles in realtime of what a person is saying. That would be real quality of life change, especially for foreign languages. Dont care about translations though because languagues are too complex for simple algorythms to translate them effectively.

Going back on topic:

I just thought that having some sort of augmented reality (preferred glasses, since im afraid to put anything in my eye) would display subtitles in realtime of what a person is saying. That would be real quality of life change, especially for foreign languages. Dont care about translations though because languagues are too complex for simple algorythms to translate them effectively.

That would be cool.

Semi-related product I saw earlier (does do translation, is limited to a few languages, uses a hearing aid rather than glasses):

Yea, heard about that, it's probably pretty shitty though. Maybe it's just me, but when I hear 2 different languagues at a time I have hard time focusing on both. But maybe I wouldnt have that problem if I heard for example french translated to english, since I dont know anything french related so I dont have to focus on the words im hearing.
But then again, im pretty sceptical about those translations, sometimes when I browse japanese sites the translations I get in english or polish are ridiculous. I remember that once i translated japanese to polish and it was something like "I just was attacked in the ass" and then english said "I just bought new panties".

So yea, if I used this translator there is a possibility that if someone asked me to buy panties for them I would have to anal rape them

Oh yeah, I'm sure hearing the two languages will be a bit jarring, but there's a delay between the speaker and the translation—the earpiece needs the entirety of what's being said in order to properly parse it—so I think that'll help mitigate the issue. (Perhaps it'll even start to build one's vocabulary and understanding of the other language.)

It looks like they (smartly) started with a very small language set—English, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish—so I'm hopeful that the panties-mishap you mentioned wouldn't be too likely. (Also, I'm curious if they're going to have something like Google Translate's interface on the phone that the earpiece is connected to. That way, when the translation happens, one can see the original statement and possible alternatives.)

Reactions: Lifemocker
Yeah, I mean if they improve this technology that would be great, although knowing people it will just mean that no one will bother learning other languagues. Personally I wish I knew as much languagues as possible, but while my brain seems to have a huge space reserved for remembering words it absolutely sucks at grasping grammar. It's one thing to sound like a retard in foreign languague, it's absolutely devasteting when you go full potato in native language.
Doesnt help that I talk way too fucking fast and brain has no chance of processing what my tounge does.