What do you guys think of Dream Theater?

Wings of a dream said:
Mmm nahh, my lips are just shiny like that. I used to think it was a bad thing, but hey I've found out that girls actually like it.

It's looks a little bit exaggerated in the picture though I don't know why.

:lol: just wondering.

I like Dream Theater. I used to be into them a lot, and I really dig their Live Scenes From A Memory DVD despite the shitty acting bits. Octavarium was dissappointing and since then I have become bored with them. I think James Labrie is talented but his vocal tone is very annoying (not to say he can't hit high notes). John Petrucci is a great player although I feel his awesome solos have diminished into bland metal solos. Where's the fire like the solo in Under A Glass Moon?

I wonder if this thread was aimed at seeing recommendations of albums or just to hear or opinions about the band (?)

I think the people that say they are boring haven't really listened to them. They have odd time signatures, use lots of different effects on their keyboards and guitar, they have a top notch drummer and one of the best solid bassists I've ever heard. And I've learned over time that in metal, most vocals are shitty. I got over bad vocals in general because if I didn't I'd be missing out on some great music. That's my opinion.

I like them. The vocals are meh but I can get past them for some reason. I used to not like growl/scream vocals at all but I got past them for the musicianship, Now I like them. Same with DT.

And now a lame exuse to use this picture I just found.
150705eilidh03.jpg

"There are lots of guitar players out there who play super fast and super well-but they're also super lame. Like Dream Theater." :loco:
-Alexi

But seriously they have a couple songs I enjoy, but the vocals ruin most of their songs for me.

enjoi17 said:
"There are lots of guitar players out there who play super fast and super well-but they're also super lame. Like Dream Theater." :loco:
-Alexi

"There are lots of guitar players who used to be good but they sold out and record metalcore shit for teenage amercians. Like Children of Bodom."
-Ralf

Ralf said:
"There are lots of guitar players who used to be good but they sold out and record metalcore shit for teenage amercians. Like Children of Bodom."
-Ralf

haha become a guitar virtuoso, have GW interview you, and then piss off Alexi

The Bringer said:
Should I even bother checking them out?

Check out "The Dance of Eternity" and make your own opinion.

Tut Ankh Amon said:
DON'T check out DoE.

Check out Fatal Tragedy. Then Overture 1928. Then Strange DejaVu. Then Home... and THEN Dance of Eternity.

or else you won't like them :p

I listened to Dance of Eternity first and liked them :p

I have also introduced people to DT with that song. The thing is, if you like them with that, you won't like them with Vocals.

Wings of a dream said:
I listened to Dance of Eternity first and liked them :p

that's cause you have a good taste in music :p

usually people who aren't used to dream theater or other proggier stuff hate that kind of song. So it's better to start with the more metal ones and evolve to the most elaborate ones... then... DoE :D

Tut Ankh Amon said:
that's cause you have a good taste in music :p

usually people who aren't used to dream theater or other proggier stuff hate that kind of song. So it's better to start with the more metal ones and evolve to the most elaborate ones... then... DoE :D

Oh ok thanks! I thought you were degrading DOE in some way...