Dream Theater Appreciation Thread

Pyrus said:
Yeah, but do you really wanna hear somebody masturbating all over a decent metal album? Blegh.

That's EXACTLY why I deleted the new Necrophagist after one listen! Reminded me of DT, WAY too much wanking.

I sold both of my DT albums (Scenes 2 and Images&Words) last week for $1 each at a used record shop, 'cause they were all scratched and I can't stand listening to them anymore. I've tried a few times, and LaBrie's voice just makes me wanna puke.

Jaar-Gilon said:
they have a couple of cool riffs, and are obviously talented musicians(like megadeth) but (like megadeth) they suck massive wang when it comes to writing songs, and have one of the funniest/worst vocalists i've ever heard. they make me laugh :D

Ah come on man. Don't bring Megadeth into this, it's just uncalled for. I happen to think they kicked ass in the 80s and their ratio of good songs to wanking is much higher than Dream Theater's.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Talented in terms of playing their instruments, absolutely. Their composition is seriously lacking, though.

you couldnt have listened to very much of them then :hotjump:

Jaar-Gilon said:
they have a couple of cool riffs, and are obviously talented musicians(like megadeth) but (like megadeth) they suck massive wang when it comes to writing songs, and have one of the funniest/worst vocalists i've ever heard. they make me laugh :D

You just concentrate on the vocals to much dick.
haha paul.

Lykathea said:
I don't see what everyones big problem with LaBrie is. Sure, he sounds terrible live, but there are dozens of power/prog singers that are much more annoying. The vocalist for Spiral Architect comes to mind, that bastard had better not ruin Arcturus.

<3 Øyvind

Dream Theater? Love em. I get tired of the wankfication myself, but I do like James LaBrie. Yes, I admit it. In fact, I accidentally discovered DT through James LaBrie's solo project, which is what I heard first.

Sonic the Hedgehog music rocks very much. Icecap Zone 2 in Sonic 3.

LaBrie doesn't bother me too much. I kinda got bored with Dream Theater a while ago though.

LaBrie is a VERY good vocalist, who unfortunately doesn't use his amazing range to it's full potential most of the time. Sometimes he just sounds like he's on auto-pilot.

I absolutely love the song Pull Me Under, but besides that, there's nothing that really interests me from Dream Theater.

Oh, I absolutely love DT. They create some beautiful music at times(Falling Into Infinity, anyone?) and are master musicians. LaBrie is absolutely nuts. Trust me, I'm a vocalist.

It doesn't surprise me that the thrashers are fans of Pull Me Under and The Glass Prison(hell yeah bitches!!!). Alternative fans love Hollow Years and The Silent Man. Prog fams should splooge over A Change Of Seasons. It just proves that the band has something for everyone, and simultaneously might not be someone's thing. There's no reason to accuse people of 'having no clue.' You either like the band, or you don't. There's nothing to "get." It's all pretty much in your face.

GoD's right, though. The band has less compositional ability than a bar of soap. I just happen to not care. With Spiral Architect, it gets in the way. With Planet X it sure as hell gets in the way. But not with DT.

THIS WORLD IS SPINNING AROUND ME, THIS WORLD IS SPINNING WITHOUT ME

I just don't like them. I don't really know why. Just never really cared about them. I, of course, appreciate what they have done and how much talent they have. I just...don't care for 'em.

They are a great group of musicians, but I think their songs are at times too long to keep most people's attention. You REALLY have to be in the mood for this band.
I'd love to see them do a record with 10 tracks, with each track clocking in at under 4 minutes. I think that could be a challenge for them, but I'd like to hear it. The Budokan dvd is pretty good, how Labrie keeps up for nearly three hours is amazing!:yow:

i used to like liquid tension better than DT, even though its basically DT w/o vocals. but ive grown to like them both equally and since the music appeals to me i dont care about cheeseness or wankery. if i want that ill go listen to dragonforce or rhapsody. petrucci is one of the better guitarists out there today. and has been for along time. and i know this is old but fuck the magazine that put korns guitarists above petrucci. they doeserve to be burned alive

My fav album is six degrees, the great debate is to die for, just got their dvd too.. wanna see em live.
As for their new album.. it's good, but it has a bit of nu metal to it.. but the solo in as I am is awesome.