What do you guys use for Bass dirt?

I always like to throw Sound Toys Decapitator in my bass chain for some dirt

this is what I do...

Send bass to aux track. Roll off everything below 400hz or so. Add a distortion plug with modeled after high gain amp, I use Eleven on the 5150 setting. Gain doesnt need to be a lot. To get that clank type sound, I ussually then add a generous amount of 1K with a Q of about 20. Then mix to taste with original tone. works for me.

oddly enough, and i'm sure it shouldn't be different... I prefer the pedal sansamp.. especially if it goes into/with this...

171314_10150128857206554_624181553_7965253_890271_o.jpg

V4 works wonder too :)

I too run two bass tracks going at the same time blended together.

bass track 1: original bass DI lowpassed at around 400-600
bass track 2: original bass DI ran through an ampsim like lextac or lecto for grit, and then high passed at 200, and low-passed between 600-800. Sometimes I'll throw RBass on it as well to add some of that low end back in post-eq.

Then I just blend those two tracks to taste so you get a nice grindy bass.

So let me get this straight - your bass tracks don't have any information above 800 Hz? :err:

Hah, nope... just fragments that get reinserted from rbass. I let the guitars take over that territory. Might not be the way everyone else does it or the "right" way, but it works for me thus far. The pickups on my guitar are very high in the lows and mids so I've found it gets too muddy having them compete in those frequencies. But the guitar I use and the type of music depends on what I do. That's just what I do most the time, but sometimes I don't use a lowpass at all. It all depends on context and what sounds good.

You get me wrong. Just because Andy gets good sounds doesn't mean it serves my needs.
since you admit that you like andy(and other famous/good engineers) sounds means that serve your needs because the only thing that matters is the result.
it's the same logic with my previous reply for the peavey.
no offence cheers

Every result I had with a sansamp was less than spectacular. We just don't work together very well. People like different stuff and I don't like the Sansamp. You can tell me a thousand times that people used it with great results... I will not start to like it. I like HEAVY bass distortion. You can't get that with a sansamp. It sounds like a fart on heavy settings. it's cool for augmenting bass di's though. Oh... and Andy's mixes aren't just bass distortion. I like how they sound in context. So could we please stop that now and talk about destroying bass again? That's like telling Lasse that a Powerball is great under a mic.

Sansamp bassdriver through cab with a akgd112 in front and mix it with the directly reamped channel through the sansamp.

Edit: with the whole discussion throughout the thread i c u and sansamp dont match. I say try different distortions, try it on different heads cabs and mics.

im just saying that the sansamp can work perfectly fine with bass distortion since top engineers that we like use it and we enjoy the result,it's the same thing like my peavey example,and of course it sounds great with heavy settings/
anyway it's pointless to discuss the same thing over and over again.
mesa boogie triaxis is also really good on bass.
even some cheap pedals like DS-1 can have a good result,mainly for grindcore.