What does the Opeth fan think of Subterranean Masquerade?

Being a 'The End Records' Junkie, I picked up the ep upon initial release when it came out last year. It had some flaws, but I thought it was definitely a solid first release with a lot of potential. So naturally, I was excited for the full length.

I've tried and tried, but I just cannot get into it. I consider myself a fan of the avant-garde metal scene, but this stuff doesn't sit right with me.

My first few listens, I was crossing my fingers (and still am), that this release is a tongue-in-cheek album satirizing the lengths some bands will go to bring "art" into their music.

Some of the lyrics are downright absurd, and sadly the vocal delivery just makes things worse...
"look deep enough and you shall find it, it's like staring into a cartoon"

The ep still wreaked of pretense, but hey, I'm a fan of pretentious music. But this one goes too far.

The music is alright on the LP, there are some pretty interesting passages, but aside from awake, I kind of feel like the album as a whole is lacking the direction and cohesion of the EP.

Just my two cents.

I read about them on this forum....but i lost this thread and forgot the bands name.

Well..anyway, i came across to the name somewhere else and searched fo the name here becasue i remembered i read about them here.

Conclusion: The new album is fukin amazing !!!!!! !!!!!!

:headbang:

Deadlift said:
I read about them on this forum....but i lost this thread and forgot the bands name.

Well..anyway, i came across to the name somewhere else and searched fo the name here becasue i remembered i read about them here.

Conclusion: The new album is fukin amazing !!!!!! !!!!!!

:headbang:

you know, you shouldnt lie to people. they will resent you for it eventually.

NineFeetUnderground said:
the band is horrible. nothing remotely interesting here...not even anything really NEW here. its all been done before by other bands...and its all been done better.

you know, you shouldnt lie to people. they will resent you for it eventually. :devil:

NineFeetUnderground said:
the band is horrible. nothing remotely interesting here...not even anything really NEW here. its all been done before by other bands...and its all been done better.

I love it when jackasses leave comments like this but never say where, when, and who did it before and why they think they did it better.

Gave them a listen.....nothing special. one of those bands that take a variety of instruments/genres and can make a few interesting melodies, but make generic sounding songs as a whole.