What drum reverbs do you use?

hks350d

Sep 8, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Can you guys recommend some good reverbs. I've been using one for a pretty good while now and I'm finally just completely done with it.

I'm particularly looking for something really big to fill in space with the snare during start/stop kinds of stuff.

Can you guys recommend some good reverbs. I've been using one for a pretty good while now and I'm finally just completely done with it.

I'm particularly looking for something really big to fill in space with the snare during start/stop kinds of stuff.

ReaVerb with different impulses

Hate to be the "use the one that sounds the best to you" guy but its kinda true. In general, drums usually fair well with rooms or plates but the plate sound is going to be a more resonant type. For the large spaces you are talking about, you may want to try a hall type. Most of the Waves stuff (Rverb/TrueVerb) sounds good for what it is. Each reverb is gonna be different. For a general purpose reverb, I would actually stay away from any convolution type reverb unless you can build a very large impulse library to cover any type of situation you want to use it for. In my experience, modifying the length of the decay in a convolution reverb always sounds funny to me. If you do go for a convolution type, definitely choose the impulse wisely. I own Rverb, Trueverb, Altiverb, TLSpace, all the Lexicon stuff, the Digidesign stuff, and IR-L and they all do different things well. Probably the most versetile one that I own is the Lexicon stuff. If you have that, I would experiment with different settings and find the ones that you like. Hope that helps more than it confuses.

I know Colin and Andy use the D-verb a lot. I haven't really been able to get it to sound as good as they do though. I'll use that, tl space, or bricasti impulses

I use the Sir plugin with Briscasti impulses, sometimes I use some Lexicon ones. I've tried a bunch of the free reverb plugins and alot of different impulses and keep coming back to the SIR w/ Briscasti impulses combo.

I think part of it is knowing what to do with the verb, the good guys seem to be capable of making any of them sound great.

PSP EasyVerb. I like to tweak from that "phat drums" preset sometimes.

Redline Reverb is really good too but hard for me to get something that blends right in like Easyverb. But it's VERY realistic.

Mellowmuse IR1A has some interesting reverbs too but seems to take a lot of cpu because some of the reverb impulses are really long but I like the high & low pass/blending options, but I'd use that a lot more (maybe it's better now, I got it a few years ago). I used that over D-Verb when I got it, and worked way better in PT than Cakewalk for some reason. I don't use Nebula a lot, but when I figured out I could load any impulses with it it seemed like it was more "something in that ball park" but with a long way to go on updates & ability to load higher sample impulses (yet too user friendly not to use).

Lexicon has a few good ones, lots of customizing but doesn't seem to breathe like I want, I dunno (kind of like an Alesis Nanoverb to me/either can't hear it or it's cheap sounding). Redline is more like a real Lexicon, in my experience.

All you guys who use the D-Verb, which setting do you find you prefer? Plate, Hall, etc? Or just whatever tickles your fancy? I'm always struggling to get just the right decay time, predelay, and eq on the reverb.