What ever happened to Johan Defarfalla ?

Hi guys,

I just stumbled upon this thread while browsing around and thought I could register to put in a few words. Even though it's kind of an old topic it might interest some I guess :p

Anyway, around 2003 I participated in some kind of job/educational course. Something related to music/film etc (organized by the employment service in cooperation with an organization called FS back then, Bilda now). Then at the employement service they told me that the leader was a musician himself. When I went towards him and shook hands he said that he had been the bassplayer of a band called Opeth and wondered if I knew about them :p I assumed that he mentioned this because of my long hair, leather jacket etc. and kind of guessed that I might know. Of course I answered that I knew about him and the band, hehe!

I think the picture with him and his wife and the child might be from around that period. Of course we talked now and then about music (I play myself) and Opeth. He did mention that he wanted to take the band to other directions. He even mentioned that he didn't see as many limits as the rest (and Opeth is already known for being quite limitless within the genre hehe) and could even incorporate samba or tango melodies in the bass playing if it would fit the music.
The thing about him not being THAT much into death metal mentioned here and there is probably true. He also mentioned this then and he didn't like black metal at all. He thought label mates Emperor on Candlelight were really bad for example. Kind of odd from my perspective since Emperor isn't really standard black metal and they're very good musicians.

On another note, I remember reading something that Mikael said, about Johan believing that death metal was easy to play but that he discovered that it wasn't that easy when he joined Opeth. I think that train of thought was still a bit there ;) I myself am quite skilled at playing lead guitar. But before he saw me play, he kind of assumed and in a way even made it clear that I couldn't be as good as another guitar player there since I played metal :p He also played bass on occasions during some rehearsals and he was very skilled of course. Very tight playing. He mentioned that he was into some jazz/fusion stuff and I'm actually curious to hear it.

I hope this was of some use/interest to some.

Edit : I just remembered someone's question earlier in this topic. The last name is Sicilian. That was what he told me at least if I remember correctly.

And someone also got the impression that he wasn't that talkative. To me he seemed like a very talkative, energetic driven person. Someone very goal oriented.

I don't know if someone has already said this..but the hypothetical translation of the DeFarfalla name would be something like O'Butterfly, or McButterfly :lol:
Has he, since he was "fired", ever joined/played in some other important (not necessarily metal) band or ensemble?

Thanx for the info bro.....very informative.......im glad he found something else that uses his passion of music......e was a kilelr bassist...no doubt.......PEAC EOUT

I think Johan not playing on records any more is the single biggest musical waste i can imagine. At least in the metal genre he´s unique.

I think Johan not playing on records any more is the single biggest musical waste i can imagine. At least in the metal genre he´s unique.

he's not in the metal genre ... that's probably the main issue, he never liked metal. if he says that the guys in opeth saw more limits than he did, than this probably means that Opeth would remain a metal band in its foundations, only incorporating different influences but still remaining metal.

and owkey, a good bass player, but the single biggest musical waste ... that's going a bit too far :)

he's not in the metal genre ... that's probably the main issue, he never liked metal. if he says that the guys in opeth saw more limits than he did, than this probably means that Opeth would remain a metal band in its foundations, only incorporating different influences but still remaining metal.

and owkey, a good bass player, but the single biggest musical waste ... that's going a bit too far :)

Yeah but in a way that´s what i think makes him unique,he didn´t have this "Ok let´s make some metal music"-approach when recording those albums.

That´s what makes Opeth as a whole unique too btw :). I wonder if Johan helped influence the rest of ´em a bit and wider their spectrum

An interview with all members -- yes, even Anders and Johan -- of the Orchid-era line-up. 5,500 word interview. And then there's the odd interview with David Isberg.

Essential reading for all Opeth fans.

To those who thanked : no problem guys :p
I just thought that I could register to write this in case a few people wanted some more information. Nothing important but still.
He doesn't live too far away actually but I haven't seen anything about gigs or so with a jazz/fusion band. Maybe they just play without having gigs as a goal. Or maybe he doesn't have the time with his other projects. Or I could've missed it of course :p