What ever happened to Johan Defarfalla ?

Read through the entire thread. It was epic.

An interview with all members -- yes, even Anders and Johan -- of the Orchid-era line-up. 5,500 word interview. And then there's the odd interview with David Isberg.

wtf? theres an interview with Anders? I would love to read that. Is it on these forums?

It's my first post on Ultimate Metal. I registered so I could ask some questions to Steve DiGiorgio and I stumbled on this thread.

What made Johan De Farfalla's basslines so special was the way he looked at the music. Just as music, and not metal. TBYFW is without a doubt my favourite Opeth song, and Morningrise my favourite album along with Still Life.

It's awsome to know that De Farfalla is doing well in life and that he is happy. By the way, in TBYFW you don't need a 6 string. I play it on a 4 string without any limitation.

Even if I like Martin Mendez I must admit that De Farfalla's work was a lot more complex. Some people may like Martin's work better but I know what is my opinion. Altough Martin is a very good player he seems to lack a bit where Johan shined, creativity. He mainly follows the guitars. It's not bad, but not as delicious! :)

I personally would have loved to see Still Life and especially Damnation with De Farfalla's basslines. :)

It's my first post on Ultimate Metal. I registered so I could ask some questions to Steve DiGiorgio and I stumbled on this thread.

What made Johan De Farfalla's basslines so special was the way he looked at the music. Just as music, and not metal. TBYFW is without a doubt my favourite Opeth song, and Morningrise my favourite album along with Still Life.

It's awsome to know that De Farfalla is doing well in life and that he is happy. By the way, in TBYFW you don't need a 6 string. I play it on a 4 string without any limitation.

Even if I like Martin Mendez I must admit that De Farfalla's work was a lot more complex. Some people may like Martin's work better but I know what is my opinion. Altough Martin is a very good player he seems to lack a bit where Johan shined, creativity. He mainly follows the guitars. It's not bad, but not as delicious! :)

I personally would have loved to see Still Life and especially Damnation with De Farfalla's basslines. :)

I think it ii up to Mike, to decide, how the bass must sound on records and apparently it was one of the reasons of firing Johan. Johan wanted the bass to be more important and Mike wanted the bass to be like it is now, in the postMorningrise era. Mendez's bass is less loud, but I don't think it is less complex or whatever. And how can we judge about creativity of bass players if Mike wrote their parts?

De Farfalla wrote his parts. That was already discussed. And I can't believe Martin does not write anything at all of what he plays.

I, as a bassist, of course love to see records where the bass has an important role. It's a very underrated instrument in metal unfortunately.

De Farfalla wrote his parts. That was already discussed. And I can't believe Martin does not write anything at all of what he plays.

I, as a bassist, of course love to see records where the bass has an important role. It's a very underrated instrument in metal unfortunately.

Do you know it for sure about De Farfalla? Is there any source?
If Martin wrote anything, he must be mentioned as a co-composer of some songs. But this doesn't happen as far I know. Evidently Mike writes everything himself. Only Peter Lindgren participated in composing sometimes.
In the new album there is a participation of Fredrik and Per. But about Mendez and De Farfalla I haven't heard anything.
Maybe I just don't have sufficient info and someone can provide it?
Too many doubts.

Yeah I'm also one of those that really loved his bass playing; even though there were quite a few screw-ups on some of his work(more noteably on Morningrise).

The thing about Johan that really intrigued me was his style(almost erotic at times, and progressive in nature), i have to admit, his bass playing was what really appealed to me. Although the guitar playing was great and had very beautiful melodies(which is relevant on all of Opeth's works so-far), Johan's bass playing coencided just the same, almost as if the guitar and bass were relatively equal in their creativity, something that Mendez could lack at times, he basically just follows the guitars, every so often he'll pop in his own creativity. Also I don't know what this is called in music, and its pretty much un-heard of in the metal world, but I just loved how Johan did like these double notes with his bass, its like two notes in one, I guess only accomplished base players could do this since I only hear this technique in the fusion/progressive side of music.

Anyway, if Opeth did an album today with Johan(considering how much the band has progressed since those days) it would be amazing. I mean with all due respect to Martin Mendez, which I also believe is great bass player, but you have to admit given Johans creativity the band and him would really create something special; It would be like a dream come true.:)

Do you know it for sure about De Farfalla? Is there any source?
If Martin wrote anything, he must be mentioned as a co-composer of some songs. But this doesn't happen as far I know. Evidently Mike writes everything himself. Only Peter Lindgren participated in composing sometimes.
In the new album there is a participation of Fredrik and Per. But about Mendez and De Farfalla I haven't heard anything.
Maybe I just don't have sufficient info and someone can provide it?
Too many doubts.

Well I think that the other members do write their own parts, it's just that Mike will give them a description of what he's looking for and they'll deliver for him. It's more arranging the songs for particular instruments than actually composing, which is why the writing credits only really go to Mike. I could be wrong, though.

+1

Bass is a very underrated instrument in general, not just in metal! I'm a guitarist first, but I also LOVE to play bass, to the point I've seriously considered focusing more on bass, given the depressing lack of good bass players to be found these days. Bass is a phenomenal, expressive instrument, and when the chemistry is there between the bassist & drummer, the rhythm section and the GROOVE are really what makes music pop, especially in the more guitar-oriented genres.

I've noticed over the years that a great bassline will hook me on a song almost faster than anything, 'cuz after all, at the end of the day, if you ain't got groove, you ain't got SHIT!

+1

Bass is a very underrated instrument in general, not just in metal! I'm a guitarist first, but I also LOVE to play bass, to the point I've seriously considered focusing more on bass, given the depressing lack of good bass players to be found these days. Bass is a phenomenal, expressive instrument, and when the chemistry is there between the bassist & drummer, the rhythm section and the GROOVE are really what makes music pop, especially in the more guitar-oriented genres.

I've noticed over the years that a great bassline will hook me on a song almost faster than anything, 'cuz after all, at the end of the day, if you ain't got groove, you ain't got SHIT!

I agree with everything you said. Your post is full of golden win.

Are there any pics of him when he was in Opeth?

Maybe use the search function, or check the stickied thread where pictures of Opeth are most likely to appear?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...peth-put-them-here-please-11.html#post7198329

opeth1fg0.jpg

I missed the interview when this thread was last up. Was an interesting read. I'm not surprised about it, but it's a bit weird that he hasn't heard any of the newer Opeth albums.

Also, what is funny is that he would have liked Opeth to get tighter and have less growling... Well, if you look at Watershed, I think that description fits pretty well. :)