What gauge and type string for C tunning?

MushroomHead

New Metal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Was just wondering what you guys play C and A tunnings with? what types of strings and gauges do you find best for a stop tail piece guitar? I am currently using en ESp EC-1000 with dual EMG-81's and I had 12 gauge dean markleys on it and the 6th string doesn't seem tight enough when i'm chording especially when in A or B and when i'm in C standard it seems like the chords arent defined enough to me. Any suggestions?

Haha! I should've bet a 20 for a question like that!

I remember someone asked the same thing a while ago, and the best choice for gauge is uh... [getting a couple of string packages in my mess] I use 12-54 Dean Markleys on an LTD ex-350 but I admit that when I drop to A# it's a bit floppy, so maybe you should customise your set and use a 56 for the A# low string.

Yeah... I remember once that I even bought a set of 7 strings (7 str guitars) and I was playing with 13-56 gauge, taking away the 7th little one. It was pretty thick for C standart tho, in my taste. That was when I played on an Ibanez RG 320, better not get too low with those guitars. Damn floyd!

Someone also said they asked Björn what strings he used and he said he had 60 gauge (???!!! :ill: ) since he needs to drop the lower one in live performances... To be confirmed! :loco:

So anyway, I hope this answers your questions or helps you out. Cheers!

:wave:

just see if anyone makes a 12 guage pack and replace the low string with an even thicker guage

ive been through all that detuning and big string mess, and now i set all my guitars back to standard

Peekaboo said:
I use 12-54 Dean Markleys on an LTD ex-350

Whayhay, another EX-350 owner, aren't they a sweet guitar?

Anyhoo, I play an Ibanez S370DX, ESP LTD EX350 and a Washburn Dime 2ST (all in C) and I use D'Addario 11's on all of them. No problem with flapping at all

Cool axes!

D'addario 11's? hmmm what tuning do you play with those? That's pretty light gauge!
I use 12's on my Ibanez, tuned to B. I cant use thicker strings on that one but it sounds good anyway... I can bend with no efforts and compared to my ex-350 it's a real speed machine.

Yeah I like my LTD even tho a good real japanese ESP would be better, damn korean series! And I got a floyd on it, which sucks a bit since I dont use it at all and it doesnt stay in tune very good either. Anyway I dont care, it's a great looking guitar and it sounds killer.

Lately my brother bought himself the ESP Eclipse Custom , the exact one Björn had before they switched to Gibson. It really kicks major ass! He's also gonna change the pickups to EMG 81 (bridge) and 60 (neck) for a more "metal" sound. I think that guitar was the very last one in the french guitar market! :p

The new korean LTD's suck ass if you want my opinion... Cause first: they added useless floyd bridges to raise the price, they made sucky finitions and decorations (just look at the new EC models at the official site ). They're just real rip-offs for kids who want to sound heavy when they have too much money to waste. Take the Eclipse II ($1700), take the bridge out, the pickups, those stupid neck markings and you'll get the price of the old Eclipse Custom 2002 ($1100).

So there, be careful with what people say!

:wave:

I'm playing in C with the 11's. Thinking on tuning to Bb for a while but C sounds better so we scrapped that idea.

That Eclipse is smoking :headbang: I'm a bit jealous now :)

I don't mind the Floyd Rose that much. It's just a pain in the a$$ when it's restringing time or changing tuning. Having said that, it never goes out of tune and I haven't brokena spring since I started playing guitars that have them

i have the same guitar that bjorn had before they switched over to gibson. it is a sweet guitar. and peekaboo is right i dont know why they are putting the stupid fret inlays on all the Eclipses i think it looks stupid. i dont think i would want to buy any one the ones with the flag inlays.

Let me say from experience that the EC-1000 is a beautiful guitar and great for the money. i only payed 900 dollars for it and wherever I go I get complements from my home to a stage to the guitar shop i bought it in to ones I never even step foot into except to buy strings and to fool with some amps they might have that interest me.

I also hear from people, who are not salesmen, how good the higher end LTD models are compared to gibsons. (which don't get me wrong, are also great guitars but not much different except for the fuckin price of USA models)

Look at it this way..

I have an EC-1000 with a beautifully flammed maple top, perfectly done abalone inlays and binding, genuine sperzel locking tunners, dual emg-81 pickups, quality craftmanship all around and way better in my opinion at achieving metal than any modded gibson. The neck is also better in my opinion and less awkward as well as the set neck. Did I mention the sustain?

It's a beautifully made and great looking guitar when you see it in person. don't judge it by how it looks on the web site go do yourself a favor and check it out and play it in person after its been set up professionally. i love this guitar more than any gibson i have ever played and I have played explorers, king v's, and epiphones.

All those guitars are great american beauties but the ibanez 7 string verse 6 string revolution is dead, so why keep bashing over sea's models just because they are better quality and price than your favorite american brand. don't be jeleous.

Don't bash them till you really give them a chance. All ESP's have great potential in my eyes and the deluxe series are truely great guitars.

i hate ibanez guitars. they used to be good quality a couple years back but they have been going down. it seems that their basses are going up. all the guitars now are so mass produced its disgusting

ranietz said:
Am I the only one who use .010 strings on C tuning?

I have to say my reaction is the same aas Peekabboo´s, Damn!!:OMG:

I tried to tune down my guitar to standard C using my 0.10´s but the strings were just flying all over the place. I managed to do some scary monsterbends tho.

Peekaboo said:
Haha! I should've bet a 20 for a question like that!

Someone also said they asked Björn what strings he used and he said he had 60 gauge (???!!! :ill: ) since he needs to drop the lower one in live performances... To be confirmed! :loco:

Yeah, I asked him inbetween clayman and R2R and he used a 60 guage back then. He probably still does, Gibsons need thick stirngs when detuned, however they rule detuned.

I use 12-58, on my Les Paul Studio.

I've been fixin around with detuned guitars for a while and this is my points:

- Thin strings are easy to play, but will give a crappy sound when detuned. Try getting yourself used to thick-ass strings if you wanna be detuned.

- Guitars with floyds are irritating when tuning down. I always keep my Ibanez RG 450 (japan made thank god) in E.

- Tuning down is sometimes useless(!) it sounds cool for some time, but tends to get muddy in a full-band situation. And you can make it heavy as shit in E with a nice rhythm section in the band. However I play in C most of my band-playing times.