What have you been listening to lately!!! It is about that time!

Elitist Jackass said:
Actually it kinda fuckin sucks.

Explain how it "fuckin sucks". Sure I can see why it won't appeal to everyone(especially a user with the name "Elitist Jackass") but the riffs, song structures, and general music ideas are all very strong. And certainly alot better than most everyday shit out there.

Vehemence....of course
Spawn of Possesion-Cabinets
Nile-ITDS and AoTW
Psycroptic
Necrophagist-woah
Decrepit Birth
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Red Death
Arsis
At the Gates
Beheaded
Cryptopsy
Emeth
Dawn

SwarmOfTheformless12 said:
Vehemence....of course
Spawn of Possesion-Cabinets
Nile-ITDS and AoTW
Psycroptic
Necrophagist-woah
Decrepit Birth
The Black Dahlia Murder
The Red Death
Arsis
At the Gates
Beheaded
Cryptopsy
Emeth
Dawn

finally someone posted a decent list

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris has weak production...I'm not some production ass...but I dunno, it's one of those albums that's so good I just wish the production was a little better so that music could just take over my brain. Perhaps the mp3 qualities are shitty...
Yes I do think the album is a little overhyped. It is not close to being in the top 5 of best metal albums ever, not even the best death metal albums ever (IMO!!). But compared to alot of the more technical/progressive death/black metal bands (Psycroptic, Necrophagist, Sinners Bleed, Atrocity (old), Cynic, Spawn of Possession, Atheist, Martyr, Pestilence, Sleep Terror, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Cryptopsy etc) I think it really is up there because it's so eclectic and emotional. It can flip around the current mood you're in, it's great. Never thought all those blazzingly fast bands could do that.

To relate to the thread topic...
I've been listening to alot of Swallow the Sun, Mahavishnu Orchestra - the inner mounting flame, Hate, Pyaemia, Emerson Lake and Palmer - trilogy, beatles - sgt. peppers, rush - 2112 and permanent waves, Insision, Opeth...

I like alot of the albums named here...slumber of sullen eyes hehe, nattestid is beautiful, bergtatt is nothing short of classic and of course that new Nile album is a devastater!

Peace all

Dreadful said:
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris has weak production...I'm not some production ass...but I dunno, it's one of those albums that's so good I just wish the production was a little better so that music could just take over my brain. Perhaps the mp3 qualities are shitty...
Yes I do think the album is a little overhyped. It is not close to being in the top 5 of best metal albums ever, not even the best death metal albums ever (IMO!!). But compared to alot of the more technical/progressive death/black metal bands (Psycroptic, Necrophagist, Sinners Bleed, Atrocity (old), Cynic, Spawn of Possession, Atheist, Martyr, Pestilence, Sleep Terror, Arcturus, Ved Buens Ende, Cryptopsy etc) I think it really is up there because it's so eclectic and emotional. It can flip around the current mood you're in, it's great. Never thought all those blazzingly fast bands could do that.

I agree about the production, the drums especially seem to have been mixed unevenly. The snare is too high, and the bass drums need to be louder. It almost sounds as if your hearing the band from the perspective of the drummer with the other members playing around him. I also agree about it being emotional, a rarity in brutal death/grind.

Funeral Portrait said:
J Mann, you Lykathe fanboy...get over it. Not everyone is gonna like your "LIEK OMG FAVRIT ALBUM EVR!!!1"

Well I don't deny I love the band, in all respect I just was curious as to why he/she thought it was horrible. I don't think asking for an explanation of his/her opinion is stepping beyond my grounds.

I have been listening to:
Dream Theater, Dream Theater, Frameshift, Dream Theater, John Petrucci, Dream Theater, James Labrie, Dream Theater, Dream Theater, and this underrated band named Dream Theater.

Also on the playlist: CKY Sampler + web demos new album leak (been on play since wednesday, no joke, that's all I listen to, it's fucking good). Pelican, Agalloch, the usual doom metal/prog metal, and I'm really digging Explosions in the sky and Incubus lately.

Aborted - Goremageddon + The Archaic Abattoir
Behemoth - Demigod
Destruction - Release From Agony
Exhumed - Gore Metal
Impaled - Mondo Medicale
Pig Destroyer -Prowler in the Yard
Satyricon - The Shadowthrone

they'll be releasing a streamed version that will have better production...since the mp3 was ripped from the Sirius radio. I can't wait for "Ghost Reveries"

Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane, The Somberlain
Immortal - All albums
Inquinok - Upcoming full-length release.
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Megadeth - Remasters
Necrophagist - Both albums
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Persuader - Evolution Purgatory

Also, a lot of Miles Davis stuff.

Elitist Jackass said:
Fall of Troy - s/t
If that's the 3 piece band from Washington, I've seen them play live. I'm not into that style of music, but they were really good and the recordings I have of theirs are pretty good also. Their guitar player's style is unique.

Man, I can't wait for that new Opeth album, Opeth have been one of my favorites for a long time. First album i ever bought with death metal vocals was Blackwater Park. I have yet to hear either Grand Conjuration or Ghosts Of Perdition. I tried to hear GoP today, but am still waiting on the stupid roadrunner thing to send me an email so I can get into their crappy listening station.

Oh well.

Lately listening to a lot of Nile: Annhilation Of The Wicked. Great album, maybe Nile's best, and definitely good for getting the marrow working again lol.

lets see here...
tons of my dying bride (including the new box set)
anathema - a natural disaster
nightrage - descent into chaos
nile - annihilation of the wicked
enslaved - below the lights
emperor - in the nightside eclipse
blood red throne - altered genesis
kamelot - the black halo
behemoth - demigod
darkane - rusted angel
naglfar - sheol
dark tranquility - character

yea so my ears have been busy.