what head for that bay area thrash tone?

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
what head will give a killer bay area 80's thrash tone?

the gtr on bonded by blood, eternal nightmare, forbidden evil and the legacy are just killer.

the newest band that has the tone i love is municipal waste. anyone know what he is using?

what head would do this?

boosted 2203!

i dont know anything about marshalls being that there are so many different models. what is the exact model of this one? for example there is a 2203X, is that different then a 2203?

do they still make this amp today and if they do, does it sound as good as an old one?

i see kerry king has a sig 2203.

I think ADA Mp-1s quietly snuck their way in on several releases as well if I'm not mistaken

I believe some Testament, Metallica and Heathen releases have them

I know its not quite a "head" but still ...

great thread, i was wondering about the same thing actually. while some of these oldschool tones sound a bit "outdated" by modern standards, i'm really digging the sound of bands like violator or tankard right now....old school thrash with a modern edge to it.

regarding the 2203: which boost would you recommend? sd1? ts?

and another question: what kinda pickups would you guys chose for that sound? emgs are probably a safe bet, but i'm looking for something more organic and raw.....maybe duncan sh6?

Duncan SH-6 is a super old-school sounding pickup IMO with its harsh(ish) top-end - still, I might prefer to make a small concession for modernity in that department and go for an SH-4 (identical to the SH-6 except for the magnet) or SH-15 (my current fave, tighter low-end than the SH-4)

And don't forget that Metallica pretty much always used EMG 81's!

Another vote for the SH-6/TB-6, I've used them for a while now and I love it. The SH-4/TB-4 is another great standby used by lots in the thrash scene. Personal preference as to which to use.

And don't forget that Metallica pretty much always used EMG 81's!

Ride the lightnng was recorded with a SD Invader(james),SD Distortion(Kirk)
Master of puppets was recorded with a Tom Andersson H3(james),SD DIstortion(Kirk)

emg's were installed in 1992...