What headphones to get?

Notuern

Bloody vaginal belch
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, what headphones should i get for mixing?
Drop a few price ranges, because i dont know how much money il get next month, but i definitely wont afford anything over 500$.

I need them because im not able to treat my room, and neighbors etc.

Audio Technica ATH-M50 goes for 160$ now, when I bought them they costed 200$. Trust me, these cans are worth your life.

They are good, but they have too much treble and are not comfortable to wear for a longer time.
The DT 770 don't have that problem, but you should try to test headphones in a music store if possible. It's a personal decision :)

They are good, but they have too much treble and are not comfortable to wear for a longer time.
The DT 770 don't have that problem, but you should try to test headphones in a music store if possible. It's a personal decision :)

I work in a music store, and i have killer deals on Beyerdynamics, so i'll probably be able to get those cheaper then the Audio Technica anyways! :)

I've got a pair of K240DF's, and I'd not recommend those if the budget allows for more expensive headphones. Dunno what's the actual difference between the normal model and the DF, but at least these ones are pretty lacking in the low register.

Yeah, we have those in store.. and didnt really like them too much.
So right now im leaning towards the Beyerdynamics, but keep the tips coming! :)

I would never say the M50's have too much treble, the only complaint I could level at them is some slight emphasis of the mids around 1k (which as Ermz has accurately pointed out can make guitars sound slightly bigger and more upfront than they are, for example), but otherwise I love mine! (but I hate mixing on cans, and would rather mix in an untreated room on $100 computer speakers that I know really well tbh)

(but I hate mixing on cans, and would rather mix in an untreated room on $100 computer speakers that I know really well tbh)

I have the Alesis 520's, which where the best monitors i could find without moving up to like 500$ which i didnt have at the time.

Now my problem is that i live in an apartment, and my neighbours 1 year old daughter has her room next to mine.. so i cant play through my speakers after 6-7 PM. ;/
Besides, my room sounds _REALLY_ shitty.. i have a few closets in the room that causes the lows to sound like a damp, saltcovered rag on Elvis Presleys freshly shaven wingdangdoodle!

FWIR : Beyerdynamic DT 48E (flattest freq. response, great detail, represents what is thrown at 'em), German Maestro 8.35D (less flat).

Cheaper : Audio Technica ATH-M50.

I have the Alesis 520's, which where the best monitors i could find without moving up to like 500$ which i didnt have at the time.

Now my problem is that i live in an apartment, and my neighbours 1 year old daughter has her room next to mine.. so i cant play through my speakers after 6-7 PM. ;/
Besides, my room sounds _REALLY_ shitty.. i have a few closets in the room that causes the lows to sound like a damp, saltcovered rag on Elvis Presleys freshly shaven wingdangdoodle!

Ack, that sucks dude, especially the fucking baby, god I despise children :lol:

I got my Sony MDR 7506's for about £50 second hand, they are awesome. Just waiting on new ear pads for them :) Very clear and nice sounding

does anyone have anythign they've mixed just using the 770's or any of the other above?

I got my Sony MDR 7506's for about £50 second hand, they are awesome. Just waiting on new ear pads for them :) Very clear and nice sounding

Ack, gotta advise against these, I had these for years and they were almost painfully harsh, crazy hyped highs/presence - sold 'em for the ATH-M50's, NEVER looked back!

FWIR : Beyerdynamic DT 48E (flattest freq. response, great detail, represents what is thrown at 'em), German Maestro 8.35D (less flat).

What impedance should i get on them?
The DT48E comes in both 25 and 200ohm versions, and i have absolutely no idea what impedance my Saffire's output is on, and it doesn't say anything about it in the manual.

They looked stable as f*ck, with metal braces instead of those plastic ones, enough cable length and a good clamp on them as well.

Ack, that sucks dude, especially the fucking baby, god I despise children :lol:

Yeah.. i really have a hard time with kids as well.
Their nasty, loud, drooling little bastards that smear their snot on everything they can get a hold of. D;
But at the same time.. i guess it would be f-ing awesome to become a parent one day... one day loooooooooong from this one! :lol:

What impedance should i get on them?
The DT48E comes in both 25 and 200ohm versions, and i have absolutely no idea what impedance my Saffire's output is on, and it doesn't say anything about it in the manual.

They looked stable as f*ck, with metal braces instead of those plastic ones, enough cable length and a good clamp on them as well.

Yeah.. i really have a hard time with kids as well.
Their nasty, loud, drooling little bastards that smear their snot on everything they can get a hold of. D;
But at the same time.. i guess it would be f-ing awesome to become a parent one day... one day loooooooooong from this one! :lol:

Hmm, here you go.

http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/43202/5864/05-23-2009/p1/

FWIR searching through head-fi, the 25ohm sounds best. Good if you don't have a dedicated amp too.

You won't get a lot of bass slam from these headphones but they should offer the best midrange possible in closed cans. And they will be pretty neutral and transparent.

If you ever buy 'em please tell us how you like them!