What headphones to get?

Yeah.. i really have a hard time with kids as well.
Their nasty, loud, drooling little bastards that smear their snot on everything they can get a hold of. D;

+1 I hated the bastards even when I was one! Always had to hang out with cousins that were a few years younger and it was hell. As an adult it would be unbearable.

I like my Sennheiser HD 280 pro's. They're not too pricey, pretty flat, and since they isolate sound so well you can use them for live sound and tracking etc.

Great for tracking (great isolation!), god-awful for mixing. Really lack in lows and they have displeasing high-mids IMO. :ill:

Must be really good for live sound though.

Great for tracking (great isolation!), god-awful for mixing. Really lack in lows and they have displeasing high-mids IMO. :ill:

Must be really good for live sound though.

haha I recently started to just leave them on with the headphone volume down all the way to take care of my ears and not flip out the bands by putting on earplugs when doing live sound. :loco:
And I agree they may not be great for mixing, but they aren't horrible either. I mixed a decent sounding promo mostly with them because my speakers had even more displeasing mids.

haha I recently started to just leave them on with the headphone volume down all the way to take care of my ears and not flip out the bands by putting on earplugs when doing live sound. :loco:
And I agree they may not be great for mixing, but they aren't horrible either. I mixed a decent sounding promo mostly with them because my speakers had even more displeasing mids.

Any band who calls you out for using earplugs obviously isn't thinking about the fact that you are protecting the most valuable asset for your job. I also use the HD280s as live cans, but the only time I ever use them is for silent line checks or if some channel starts popping/crackling. You should look into Westone molded Musician's earplugs, they were $150 but they have a relatively flat frequency attenuation (they say they are flat but my ears tell me otherwise). I just usually mix 1-2 songs with them out and then put them in.

Sorry to derail your thread, continue on about the cans!

I've been mixing all my songs on Sony 7509HDs. I haven't used monitors since who knows how long. It's making my clients happy, lol.

I'd give em a shot if you have the chance.

Ive owned a LOT of cans........

Denon AH-D2000 (or the D5000) but I prefer the D2000 myself!

Closed, high quality, and great for all genres! Terrific cans, EXCEPT they dont have a detachable cord! (so you gotta be careful with em)

But really, ive owned a lot of cans and these are my personal faves!

I have the HD280s and they work well for me. TBH I think it's really just a matter of getting used to whatever it is you have. The 280s sounded kind of mid-rangey to me at first but now when I listen on any other pair of decent headphones the other cans sound scooped. :lol:

I got mine on Ebay for 80 bucks US used including shipping. Pretty good for the price. I find the lows to be pretty decent in terms of being able to hear what's going on down there. Not sure if they're over/under hyped but when I check my mixes on my main listening setup (with subwoofer) it's often pretty close to what I'd expect. I probably end up having to push the lows more than cut them on revisions which I guess means the cans have too much.

That's good, I guess everybody gets acquainted to different gear differently - that's why you should always try before you buy.

However, I can vouch the M50 for about 20 bucks more are better in pretty much every aspect, whether you'd work better with them might be another question though.

I'd suggest the ATH-M50 for about US$120-140, but if you got up to 500 bucks, there are plenty options out there. Senn HD 595, HD600, HD650, AKG K701, K702, Beyer DT880, Denon AH D2000, etc.

I'd suggest the ATH-M50 for about US$120-140, but if you got up to 500 bucks, there are plenty options out there. Senn HD 595, HD600, HD650, AKG K701, K702, Beyer DT880, Denon AH D2000, etc.

Most of which aren't as convenient for AE's tbh as the M50's, as they don't really focus on flatiness (even though the M50's have somewhat of a small bass hump) but more on musicality and detail. Depends if you wanna use them for EQing and general mixing or fixing stuff in space (panning) IMO.

I've got some Beyer DT770s the 250ohm ones. Their stereo-imaging is amazing for the price. I've heard people say they are too bright, but i think they aren't listening right. The highs are so detailed and they're amazing for inspecting formant diction in vocals. If you are stuck in a poor room or the people you are working with just plain wont shut up; these are invaluable.