What interface are you going to move to for Pro Tools 9?

i think it's safe to say that PT9 has captured the attention/interest of everyone on the forum, whether we were already users or not, or intend on switching. the release is still a bombshell and at the very least, gives 100% of us new options to consider

you know whats really difficult having been a long term pro tools user.....
choice!!
DAMN which interface do I want!

i think we're still going to spend about 5k to 6k for a decent setup... like:

Lynx Aurora...............................$3K
or
SSL Alpha Link.........................$2.5k

then you need pres...

Api 3112 x2..............................$2.5k
neve clones..............................$1.5k
----------------------------------------
something around......................$6k-7k

As much as I want to agree with you, honestly this is just downright wrong.

There are things which other DAWs clearly do better than ProTools. Not switching can just as easily be a matter of personal preference. Joey made the switch then came back. I only use PT here for editing and session conversions, and it will remain that way until they support VST and Input channel inserts, which make life easy when parallel recording guitar DI tracks as many of us do in Cubase. To my knowledge PT still doesn't have channel presets which is vital to the way some of us work, and lets not go into the slip editing thing, or actually showing the waveform when sliding regions. Let's no get into the fact that the RTAS platform is grossly resource inefficient, proprietary (plug-in devs have to jump hoops to get Avid to sign off on it) and that in recent versions batch fades have taken a few lifetimes to render in PT.

They're just a few examples, I'm sure some here could name you a fair few more.

Ya I don't do any of that honestly. Which is why its a good move. Especially from Sonar which I am using now. Unbelievably under efficient.

98% of us are, the only one who wont be are the kids that record in their rooms. Seriously if you are AT ALL serious about really building a studio that people are going to pay you to record them, and you don't upgrade to Pro Tools its kind of foolish.

Tell this to Michael Wagener,yea

What you gonna stick with Logic? Sonar? Cubase?
Why? VST Support? 98% of the plugins you BUY, and BUY is the key word here come with VST and RTAS versions on the same CD / DVD.
The only reason not to upgrade to Pro Tools is if you used Cracked / Hacked Software.

Lol,hacked stuff comes with RTAS and even TDM versions these days.

what the heck is the deal with this new fireface UFX?? $2100 and the only difference from the ff800 that i can discern is firewire AND usb2.0 ... and digital control of the pre's. dafux?? Best news about this is that used fireface800's will now be a little cheaper. which they already are, i'm seeing one for $1,100 buy-it-now on ebay. maybe i should hurry up and buy one before PT9 makes them significantly more valuable o_0

I guess he's using it for editing and opening projects recorded elsewhere.This is only sensible purpose of PT.
VST (especially VST3) is much more efficient and stable compared to RTAS , no reason to use PT for mixing.

This is only sensible purpose of PT.

Really?? Wow

You know I think you can Record Audio, Write Scores in MIDI, and do a bunch of other stuff too. But if you say its only good for editing and opening projects to export the wav files that must be the truth .....

rolling-eyes.gif

Guys, could you please keep the "Pro Tools vs. DAW X" or "Why Pro Tools sucks for my personal use" stuff away from this thread? I'm sure you can all see the thread title, but just to make sure, I'll put it here. In bold. And with a green color. Ok?

What interface are you going to move to for Pro Tools 9?

This is a relevant question to me and a lot of others right now, and I would honestly enjoy discussing that subject in this thread without all this derailment. If you don't like something about the software or you prefer another product, that's all fine and good, but please tell everyone about it somewhere else.

Cheers! :loco:

Record Audio? windows sound recorder does it too :devil:

MIDI ....not even funny
I remember PT8 introduction, Piano roll window was presented as a great innovation :guh:

how about score,list,drum editors? drummaps?

Back on topic,
I bought M-Audio interface a while ago only because i wanted to be compatible with PT,
now I'd go with Focusrite Saffire 24DSP

what the heck is the deal with this new fireface UFX?? $2100 and the only difference from the ff800 that i can discern is firewire AND usb2.0 ... and digital control of the pre's. dafux?? Best news about this is that used fireface800's will now be a little cheaper. which they already are, i'm seeing one for $1,100 buy-it-now on ebay. maybe i should hurry up and buy one before PT9 makes them significantly more valuable o_0
The UFX has TotalMixFX. So zero-latency dsp effects and unlimited possible monitor mixes. BIG feature. Worth the price alone, imho.
It has also new, better preamps and better AD/DA conversion.
And a few other things.

98% of us are, the only one who wont be are the kids that record in their rooms. Seriously if you are AT ALL serious about really building a studio that people are going to pay you to record them, and you don't upgrade to Pro Tools its kind of foolish.

Its the industry standard, and the industry standard has the best workflow in the industry on all the DAW's out there.

Now dont get me wrong. I LOVE and have used Cakewalk products for the past 12 years. BUT they few times I have worked on Pro Tools I LOVED the workflow and how fast I could get everything done.

What you gonna stick with Logic? Sonar? Cubase?

Why? VST Support? 98% of the plugins you BUY, and BUY is the key word here come with VST and RTAS versions on the same CD / DVD.

The only reason not to upgrade to Pro Tools is if you used Cracked / Hacked Software.
This strikes me as incredibly ignorant. DAW is personal preference. I highly doubt 98% of the forum is going to switch to PT9, and I highly doubt it has anything at all to do with cracked software. For example, I never really liked PT workflow. I don't see any advantages in PT compared to Sonar or Reaper (the two DAWs I have used in my nine years in production, ignoring PT). Not to mention the lack of slip editing, seeing the damn waveform, ADC being limited, lack of AU and VST support, no track freezing, no non-real-time bouncing, etc. Avid is playing catch-up with all the other DAWs, which is awesome because they are improving the product and going in the right direction (Hell, I even considered switching to PT just to be part of the "standard" about a year ago when it was all still proprietary), but it's still $599 for stuff we already have in our current DAWs, and is often done better in other DAWs.

Btw, Sonar X1 looks siqqqq