What interface are you going to move to for Pro Tools 9?

give it a few minutes Jarkko ... some people are still just hitting quote and responding to the earlier posts without reading through everything 1st

It'll settle into place

:err: ?! you sure about that?? and how much better?? any GS threads worth referencing??
Pretty shure, they re-designed the converters and are using the A/D of the RME ADI 8 QS and the D/A of the M-Series. just look at the converter specs..
Also the preamps are the ones from the Micstasy, which is a 3800€-preamp.
The Preamps also got a special feature called Advanced Parallel Conversion to get a better signal to noise ratio.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php

Did I mention the in-built monitor controller? And the remote? :D
I know it sounds like a fanboy but really, RME took the Fireface to the next level.. no the next after the next level.

to bring the thread back on track....and yeah i am a fanboy

all you mac guys:
metric halo 2882 or if you want to spent even more
metric halo uln8.

the uln8 brings you 8 high class preamps (on a quality level of neve, chandler or api)

the 2882 brings you 8 high class preamps ( on the quality level of isas or audients)

both interfaces can be used 3 times together.
so 18x3 i/o

they work with an internal mixer dsp which offers you zero-latency total adc for all ins and outs.
you get the metric halo channelstrip as a dsp plugin.
you can use andy sneaps secret weapon while tracking on every channel and can record the dry and or the processed signal.

the console brings you also character something like avids heat or vcc.

the interface is build to live forever, its rock solid and it was the best when it came out and is even better now

cheers

Just get the damned Saffire already and quit yer bitchin ...lol

listen dipshit ...I can't get the new interface now anyway. I just spent over $1000 upgrading a bunch of things. On top of that, PT9 only runs on Win 7. I'm on XP. I have no ability to upgrade my OS, my version of PT AND get a new interface right now ... as much as I would love to :p

listen dipshit ...I can't get the new interface now anyway. I just spent over $1000 upgrading a bunch of things. On top of that, PT9 only runs on Win 7. I'm on XP. I have no ability to upgrade my OS, my version of PT AND get a new interface right now ... as much as I would love to :p

pirating plug-ins and DAW's is one thing, but windows .... o_- ?? i have no guilt dipping into bill gates pockets.

"Input channel inserts, which make life easy when parallel recording guitar DI tracks"
Ermz what exaclty do you mean or anyone actually...very confused what is the purpose of parallel recording DI guitars..

"Input channel inserts, which make life easy when parallel recording guitar DI tracks"
Ermz what exaclty do you mean or anyone actually...very confused what is the purpose of parallel recording DI guitars..

Yeah im not sure what he is saying here either, You can insert a plugin or hardware insert on a channel that you are recording on and monitor through the inserts in real time,
Is that what you mean Ermz ?

^ Dude!

I really appreciate that man, seriously:headbang:

Unfortunately I'm just low on the $$$ after upgrading a few plugins, acoustic treatment for my room, new monitors and a new pup for my Jackson

Or as an Italian would say ... "Mifunzalow" ;)

I'm so excited about hardware options!

I'm looking at either a RME BABYFACe for at home, or just say fuck it and get an alphalink and be set for a while....

Anyone else got some ideas?

I'm so excited about hardware options!

I'm looking at either a RME BABYFACe for at home, or just say fuck it and get an alphalink and be set for a while....

Anyone else got some ideas?

I'm quite lost too now that I have a choice :lol:

I'm kinda considering a FF800. Do you guys know how many simultaneous I/O I can REALISTICALLY use with it when using it in a FW800 bus? I might as well start looking at one when I feel like I'm done with the Profire to avoid paying for a new MacPro to use with a PCIe-based solution.

really stupid question here(i never took the time to learn this stuff since i don't really educate myself on the hardware side of this as much as i should):

alpha_link_madi_sx_rear_large.jpg

someone explain the signal chain you would need to run this. Most mic preamps only have analog I/O(from what i've seen). What do you run those connections on the back of the alpha link to? Also, can someone explain MADI to me?:popcorn:

also, who said the alpha link was Mac only?

Yeah im not sure what he is saying here either, You can insert a plugin or hardware insert on a channel that you are recording on and monitor through the inserts in real time,
Is that what you mean Ermz ?

Putting inserts on an input channel lets you print those effects directly onto the track as its recorded. This way you can parallel record using a totally clean input channel, and a 'dirty' one so you can listen to your recorded guitar tones through your amp sim of choice, without needing 16 or whatever channels running amp sims in real time.

This can be done in PT, to my knowledge, but takes a little bit of routing work, and of course not supporting VST you lose accessibility to some of the better free amp sims out there. I've been considering getting an Axe-FX to get around this though.

Anyway, back on topic:

The Alphalink seems like a great choice. I'd have done it myself if it wouldn't require ditching my thousands of dollars worth of cables to get DB25 to XLR connectors, not to mention that they run off MADI, whereas I've just invested in a fairly expensive ADAT-based interface. In some ways regretful, in other ways it dawns on me that it's unlikely that I'll be mixing in 96kHz any time in the near future.