What is accessibility?

Necuratul said:
yeah cuz ur lyk totlay hxc4lyf n shit

I'm SO LOST, AND THAT WAS THE TIPPING POINT.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cookiecutter said:
I like intensity in my music. That's one reason I like metal. If a song doesn't have intensity it can at least try to be interesting and not meandering.

well, there is plenty of aggression and intensity in Opeth's music, it's just not crammed into every nook and cranny... their music very melodic and emotional overall rather than full blown intense at all times... but The Funeral Portrait, Ghost of Perdition, Dirge for November and others feature some of the most intense, heavy, dark, and emotional sections I've ever heard... I'm sorry you think Opeth is uninteresting :cry: maybe you'll give them another chance, but if not it's all good dude

anyway that's off topic, I just wanted to add a little to the side-discussion

cheers

going with what cookiecutter presented:

Accessable: Slayer, Darkthrone, Emperor, Revenge - no explanation needed

Somewhat Accessable: Mayhem (had a hard time adjusting to Attila Csihar's strange vocal style) Abruptum (I expected something fast, what I got was weird ambient soundscapes. however, I enjoy them now)

Tried and didn't care: Acid Bath (too melodic, sounded like generic nu-metal with junior high school level poetry as lyrics) Children Of Bodom (Yngwie-like wankery with black/death vocals...no thanks).

I was into death and thrash metal around 12 and am 19 getting into opeth not to long ago. Sure Opeth can be a gateway band but at the sametime people like me got sick of hearing bands bang on snare drums and we start getting into more accessible music, and we start growing out of the whole metal-shirt 'metal' attitude. People see are avatars or whatever probably thinking we're trendy or whatever when we went through the same stages as someone who might not get good music at first.

Sure I like oldschool death metal but i'm not afraid to listen to music because it's just good music.

Opeth is accessible but at the sametime harder to understand on a music level than a lot of metalbands that are not considered accessible in the genre. Just because a band is brutal or whatever does not mean it's harder to comprehend. The music is not accessible because in fact it's just not good music and people don't like it because it's stupid music and annoying.

There is some points when you just have to understand not everyone is going to like bands that play fast and noisy always and people into those bands with a close minded outlook. You are not just right or special and everyone else in the world is wrong because they like accessible enjoyable music.

I can't help but get annoyed at someone who finds acoustic guitars boring or whatever.

Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk = accessible
In the Nightside Eclipse = not

Remember when we had a favorite Emperor album poll, and all the smart members picked ITNE while all the noobs picked Anthems? Accessibility is the reason for this clearly. These two albums demonstrate the difference quite well.

The Greys said:
My juvenile attacks because you say stupid things like thinking music has to have intensity ?. Something does not have to be brutal death metal to have intensity.

What about your juvenile musical tastes. Juvenile insults for you kid. If you don't like something I say don't reply to me further so we do not have to interact.
Lay off of cookiecutter, Greys! YOU flamed him FIRST, and your insults are indeed juvenile. He didn't say good music has to be intense, he said he has a preference for intense music. What's wrong with that???

Because if you hear something not intense your judgement is clouded and you are not hearing the music for what is it because your think or prefere music that is intense. Something like that is setting up walls and bounds before you even hear anything.

How are you going to expand your musical tastes when you think or prefere intensity. What about listening to music for listening to music.

Only people in metal music have such a dumb outlook and you wonder why people laugh at it. Something like intensity does not purely apply to blastbeats or whatever.

SheIsMySin and House of Seance are examples of Opeth fans who know what they are talking about here, and express themselves without arrogance or stupidity. They actually inspire me to give the other Opeth albums a chance.

WNxScythe said:
Lay off of cookiecutter, Greys! YOU flamed him FIRST, and your insults are indeed juvenile. He didn't say good music has to be intense, he said he has a preference for intense music. What's wrong with that???

Thank you for actually understanding my post the way I meant it to be. As for The Greys he is the first member of my ignore list. That is all I have to say on him.

SheIsMySin said:
Don't take Greys too seriously. I think he told me he was 19 years old, and that explained it all.

I'm 17, hopefully my maturity doesn't take such a drastic downturn in two years.

MasterOLightning said:

Remember when we had a favorite Emperor album poll, and all the smart members picked ITNE while all the noobs picked Anthems? Accessibility is the reason for this clearly. These two albums demonstrate the difference quite well.

I went to Best Buy recently to pick up Anthems but got ITNE instead. I'm not terribly disappointed, but I can see where you're coming from (I have Anthems downloaded).

I bought Anthems yesterday and have had ITNE for about month and loved it. Haven't listened to Anthems yet but I anticipate that I won't be disappointed.

MasterOLightning said:

Neither is accessible to the average music listener but both should be easily accessible to the experienced metal fan.

As someone mentioned, accessible means easy to listen to. For instance, Immolation, latter day Gorguts, Demilich, etc. are not very accessible bands, even for death metal bands. Compare their sound to dm bands such as Suffocation, Malevolent Creation, Arghoslent, or any other "catchy" death metal band, and notice the difference. I suppose it can be said that in a broad sense accessible = catchy, but it's not quite that simple.