Catchiness, accessibility, and popularity in metal.

Yes, that's lovely. Of course, some of us don't have time to check out every popular band with idiot fans to see if they might be good. So practically speaking, avoiding such bands can save you a lot of time.

I listen to a few "popular" bands like mastodon (though not all that much anymore), opeth, nile, symphony x, etc... but then again I love bathory and burzum as well. I have never payed any attention to external things, and to me that is the ONLY way to remain truly open minded.

though I do generally avoid bands with metalcore or nu metal tags for obvious reasons. I can't stand either styles. Also can't stand most melo "dm" or brutal DM so I generally avoid those bands as well.

I will never judge a band without listening to at least 5-10 songs though.

I personally don't care whether a band is popular or not, it doesn't bother me as long as they remain true to themselves. A band is a band, why should one be tainted because they have a larger fanbase? On the otherhand, I can definitely see why people cringe when a favourite band of theirs achieves high popularity. Not to sound like "kvlt" faggot but I almost have pride in listening to bands that are 'obscure.' Not for that sole reason, but it shows that I actually take interest in the music I listen to enough to find these bands. Look at any collector, would he value his collection as much if none of his items were rare at all? People who only listen popular bands will remain relatively ignorant, and people who willingly neglect to listen to a band because of their popularity or success are just idiots.

Not to sound like "kvlt" faggot but I almost have pride in listening to bands that are 'obscure.' Not for that sole reason, but it shows that I actually take interest in the music I listen to enough to find these bands. Look at any collector, would he value his collection as much if none of his items were rare at all?

I never really thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, it does make sense.

I personally find all metalheads to be the most opinonated when it comes to music that they listen too, but I guess that is what we deserve when we have the most diverse form of music to talk about.

I don't care if the music I listen to is "accessible", "catchy" or "popular", if its good, I'll listen to it.

I have only been a metal fan for 4 years, but I have been able to sample all the main genres so far. Although I have a preference for Progressive/Power Metal in general, I have no problem with Black, Death or Thrash.

My tastes vary from time to time. I get tired of Power Metal after awhile, so I get some Black Metal or Death Metal, and once I get a bit tired of that style, I switch to something else.

So anyway, popular or not, I really don't care. What I can't understand is how people restrict themselves to a single genre sometimes...like some Extreme Metal fans not liking anything with clean vocals or Power Metal fans who hate what they call 'rabid growling'...or people who listen to all types of Metal, but hate Non-Metal music. Its the diversity in Music that makes it unique.

i'd say catchiness is generally a basic structure repetitive rhythm or melody. but then again, catchiness is relative to the individual. there are probably people out there who would argue Dark Tribe is catchy ... but to me it's (and presumably most) it's nothing of the sort.

Criteria to catchiness is variable, we'll have songs that just have catchy riffs and also catchy lyrics and riffs in non-traiditonal lyrics ie. Deicide-Serpents of The Light

Darkthrone is really fucking catchy a lot of times.

And ohiogrinder, almost all of the bands in your signature are catchy.

Darkthrone is really fucking catchy a lot of times.

And ohiogrinder, almost all of the bands in your signature are catchy.

being catchy implies the songs get stuck in your head, which is a sign of throwaway instant appeal. sure, the music can be melodic at times, but it doesn't mean they're catchy. bands like Autopsy and Incantation are not catchy but they do have melodic elements.

v5 is the absolute last person for who you could make that statement about.

exactly. in fact I find him to be one of the most open-minded people on this forum. he even likes a lot of stuff I like (grind, noise). I wish I could say the same for you.