Catchiness, accessibility, and popularity in metal.

being catchy implies the songs get stuck in your head, which is a sign of throwaway instant appeal. sure, the music can be melodic at times, but it doesn't mean they're catchy. bands like Autopsy and Incantation are not catchy but they do have melodic elements.

Something getting stuck in your head has nothing to do with "throwaway appeal." A lot of Death Metal is extremely fucking catchy, sorry to break it to you.

Compared to most other genres of metal or just music in general, I don't find death metal to be quite as catchy. A catchy song isn't a bad thing however, I actually admire bands who can make a solid song that stays in your head for weeks. A band like Naglfar makes some really good, catchy songs.

imo catchy is jus someones opinion, diferent songs are catchy(lol what a gay sounding word) to different people.

being catchy implies the songs get stuck in your head, which is a sign of throwaway instant appeal. sure, the music can be melodic at times, but it doesn't mean they're catchy. bands like Autopsy and Incantation are not catchy but they do have melodic elements.

Hatebreeder said:
I find a lot of their riffs stuck in my head often, especially stuff from A Blaze in the Northern Sky and The Cult Is Alive.

How do you explain this?

ohiogrinder, if you don't think Autopsy is catchy, then you're listening to a different fucking band.

It's all about the riff, baby. Seriously. For me, I generally prefer a band that has, like, you know, a tune and stuff ? Something that means that I can remember a single track off it for longer than it takes to hear it ? I may be an effete and cock-sucking homo-bumbadeer, but the days of me liking something for being "brutal" stopped round about the same time I stopped shoving neat whiskey up my ass because it got me drunk quicker. Of course, things can be too dumb - but dumb does not necessarily equate to simple; after all, many of the best riffs ever written were kind of simple. I think maybe the difference between the, say, Nu-metal version of "simple" and the classic metal version of "simple" is the same between "downs syndrome" and "apple pie".

I listen to a few "popular" bands like mastodon (though not all that much anymore), opeth, nile, symphony x, etc... but then again I love bathory and burzum as well. I have never payed any attention to external things, and to me that is the ONLY way to remain truly open minded.

though I do generally avoid bands with metalcore or nu metal tags for obvious reasons. I can't stand either styles. Also can't stand most melo "dm" or brutal DM so I generally avoid those bands as well.

I will never judge a band without listening to at least 5-10 songs though.

if only we were all like tht...

I listen to a few "popular" bands like mastodon (though not all that much anymore), opeth, nile, symphony x, etc... but then again I love bathory and burzum as well. I have never payed any attention to external things, and to me that is the ONLY way to remain truly open minded.

though I do generally avoid bands with metalcore or nu metal tags for obvious reasons. I can't stand either styles. Also can't stand most melo "dm" or brutal DM so I generally avoid those bands as well.

I will never judge a band without listening to at least 5-10 songs though.
So you're open minded but you write off entire genres? Anyway, all I'm saying is that I don't have time to listen to 5-10 songs of every popular band that comes along, most of the time I can safely assume I won't care for it. I've put up with enough Opeths and Agallochs and Necrophagists to feel safe avoiding the hype.