What is stoner metal?

eighteeschick

Jul 12, 2005
Jersey Baby
I was watching a commercial for Dillinger Escape Plan and it was described as stoner metal. I've never heard Dillinger Escape Plan so maybe if I did, I would know what they meant. But since I haven't heard them, can someone tell me what that means. Thanks!

Thanks for the link. It was very informative. I love some of the names of the bands, too.

Have I ever heard butt rock? I'm sure that some of the music I listen to you would consider butt rock, so yes, I have. :)

i think i got a contact high just standing by my chair at ozzfest . one of my favorite groups of all time "Trouble" have got to be stoner metal. they're like sabbath meets jesus meets a bong :headbang:

trouble

Kyuss fukin ruled....there stuff was top notch....U should try and check out Slo-Burn too....from what I know, they only ever released a four track CD EVER called Amusing the Amazing....one of the best CDS I have EVER heard....used to take detours going home in the car so I could listen to it over and over

kyuss was amazing and unfortunately too many got into them after their demise and that idiot josh starting up Queens of the stone age:ill:

Clutch sometimes falls into this category but usually they fall into the rock area. They are up there with anthrax as 2 heavily seen bands by this tattooed one.

I would say that Nebula, Unida, YOB, Suplecs, Down, Eternal Elysium, Slo burn, Karma to burn, Electric Wizard, are some killer bands to check out.

I would also recommend the new Brent bjork and the bros cd. He was the brainchild behind Kyuss early on. his new cd is the awesome Sunday road trip cd!!:Spin:

Shame Electric Wizard are no longer with us. My bro used to work with tha bassist on the new album. They come from some small ass town a few miles from where I live.

Agree with you about josh starting qotsa....what was he thinking??? BTW whats the name of Brants new band...Id like to check them out

Dillinger is not stoner.. by no means, no, no....
people havementioned good stoner bands already, but here goes my favorite ones:
kyuss, monster magnet, clutch, corrosion of conformity (deliverance era and on), down, soundgarden (better "stoner" than "grunge")...
stoner is usually highly black-sabbath influenced...

as for DEP, i don´t know how to call them... psycho-noise-jazzy-we-love-mike-patton-crazy-stuff maybe
patton even recorded an EP w/ them when they were changing singers.
setting fire to sleeping giants and phonehome are cool songs!
(not sure about the names)

Weedeater
Bongzilla
Buzzov* en (although I would classify them as "Whatever Drugs We Can Get Our Hands On Metal":loco: )
Sleep
Electric Wizard (Already mentioned but they are very good)

I never heard of stoner metal until the other day and I think I may have heard of only a few bands listed (although I did see COC one time). So I was looking up stoner metal on the internet and found these categories: ambient, crust, doom and sludge. Anyone know what they are? I've never heard of them either. I just know death metal and speed metal. I had no idea there were so many different categories. Thanks!

There isn't a fee for this lesson, is there? :Spin: