What IS thrash metal?

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Most of us here seem pretty comfortable with what constitutes thrash metal, but not everyone is happy with what falls under that umbrella.
Age is a factor here - I class Sepultura as a thrash band, even though they only really did a couple of great thrash records. But that's my age - I was getting into them around the Arise/beneath era.
For someone my age (34) Annihilator, Metallica,Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Sacred Reich (again, maybe not really thrash but at that time with The American Way they were), Xentrix, Kreator, Testament etc were THE thrash bands.

Some people say Pantera. Some people say Annihilator aren't really thrash (eh?!).

How the fuck do YOU define thrash, in your own head?

And how many spelling mistakes will we get in this thread where people think it's LA Guns or Faster Pussycat we're talking about and call it TRASH metal? :fu:
Cool new smiley.

To me, something like the main riff in this is PURE thrash metal, and should be a benchmark of what is thrash metal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5d1crr8Nrs&feature=related[/ame]

The guitar riffage here is a prime example of top class thrash metal. It's certainly leagues above the shit Slayer have done on the last couple of albums. Thrash?! Pfft.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, by the same seminal THRASH band, even though it's off the same album, I would think of more as punk.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCA-3KTEkg&feature=related[/ame]

[ 1975- 1981 ]

Released on the 6th album, from what is arguably THE first Heavy Metal band, THIS is the SONG that planted the seed for what would eventually be THRASH.
(in my opinion Black Sabbath are the godfathers of just about every form of metal there is)

During this same era, while the forefathers of heavy metal were well into their career, these bands began to take shape.

and then these guys, who purposefully tried to out do Sabbath with this song

Then in the late 70's and early 80's in Southern California as well as New York, their were these guys who grew up listening to these bands, you know who they are, they are going to play a concert in Yankee Stadium this summer, where no one can afford to go.

In the end though Thrash metal, is just metal

"Thrash" is just a term to describe, fast tempos, chromatic scales, technical guitar solos, and lots of shredding backed up by chugging, palm muted rhythm guitars. Double bass drumming with lots of cymbal crashes. Vocal styles vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't really like those debates and musical categories, leave them to the magazines and call it crap metal if you like...

I did say that...which is not in the contrary with the fact that I don't really care about these categories.

To me thrash was more about attitude and a specific time frame. It was everything glam was not, thrash didnt care about wearing makeup, or frilly clothes, didnt sing exclusively about partying and getting laid

Yeah I can kind of see that point, but are you saying Bestial Devastation, Morbid Visions, and Schizophrenia arent thrash?

Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation is almost death metal. Schizophrenia is one of my favorite Sepultura albums, very underrated in general. I suppose it is Thrash / Speed / Death Metal all in one.

Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation is almost death metal. Schizophrenia is one of my favorite Sepultura albums, very underrated in general. I suppose it is Thrash / Speed / Death Metal all in one.

The issue here is the point at which death metal become a recognisable sub-genre. When Possessed did Seven Churches they were establishing a death metal template, but with an album that could only be labelled as thrash at the time.

At least we can all agree Anthrax was never death metal :D