What IS thrash metal?

'Antichrist' from Bestial Devastation has some of the most brutal drumming ive heard.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-dnSgkQMs&playnext=1&list=PLA6445C574D52AD67[/ame]

To me thrash was more about attitude and a specific time frame. It was everything glam was not, thrash didnt care about wearing makeup, or frilly clothes, didnt sing exclusively about partying and getting laid
Yep, I got into it when I was a kid because it seemed "dangerous" and so non-glam metal. 20 years later fans want these bands to sound exactly the same as they did, I personally like to see progression and evolution in bands. Keeps it fresh and although many classic thrash bands have changed I think most have done fairly well in still playing great music even if it's not technically "thrash". Whatever that label may imply.:wave:

That's good stuff. I really like Nuclear Assault's "Handle", and Testament's "Practice" was great. What is thrash? Dunno. I just like good metal/music and let the names be names. Makes no difference to me.

MaidenFan I know you think Metallica's AJFA is thrash, but really? I think the only thing on that album that is "thrash" is "Dyers Eve". "Eye of the Beholder" is one of the slowest, deadest songs Metallica ever did. "One" has its moments, but is it "thrash"? I don't think so....

MaidenFan I know you think Metallica's AJFA is thrash, but really? I think the only thing on that album that is "thrash" is "Dyers Eve". "Eye of the Beholder" is one of the slowest, deadest songs Metallica ever did. "One" has its moments, but is it "thrash"? I don't think so....

Yes I do think of AJFA as thrash. It may be a bit more refined and not as 'raw' on the production end. But songs like Blackened, Shortest Straw, shit actually almost all of the songs have thrash elements to them. It just is a bit more melodic than their previous albums. But still definitely has a thrash vibe imo, just in a different way.

It's all a generalisation at the end of the day.

Bands, records, songs can fall into many different categories beat to beat, note to note.

I just like good music, and that varies from Elvis, Sinatra, and even Tom Jones, through to stuff like The Wonder Stuff, Jesus Jones and Carter USM, to Terrorvision, The Wildhearts and Kerbdog, to Xentrix, Acid Reign, Overkill, and so forth.

And how could I forget Jools Holland :)

The quintessential TRASH album

6EDD23.JPG