What kind of CPU do you guys have?

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
I'm doing a build this month and I've got everything (RAM, Case etc) except some parts that I'm ordering next week:
OS drive - The Samsung SSD Desktop 830-Series 64GB, seems reliable..
MoBo - Maybe a MSI Z77A-G43 ATX.. or ASRock Z77 Pro4
CPU - I had planned on getting the Core i5 3450.. But now I've set my sights on the Core i5 3570K.. I've got an aftermarket cooler, CM 212 EVO..
I should be able to get it to 4Ghz with ease.. most people seem to get to 4,5Ghz with the 212 EVO, without any problems..

I'm coming from an Pentium 4 - 3,4Ghz.. so.. I guess it doesn't matter what I chose, it'll still be a huge improvement..

The i5 3450 would be better for my wallet..
But I want it to be "futureproof".. yeah, I know it'll be obsolete within a year, Intel releases Haswell in March, but I don't care about gaming etc. my Pentium can't handle it anymore.. and I've used it for about 4 years now.. so..
I want my new build to at least last about 3 years.. 4 would be even better..
Just good enough for what I'm doing (mostly metal)..

Is it worth selling my kidneys and getting the Core i7 3770K..?
It's got hyperthreading.. but other than that, it only seem to have a higher stock speed than the Core i5 3570K..

What CPU do you guys have, and how well does it handle your projects?

Other build info:
RAM - 16GB
PSU - Corsair V2 80+ 430W
Case - it's a special edition NZXT that's soundinsulated, and I've tweaked it further..
And a CM 212 EVO CPU cooler..

new to this forum man but I've been a pc man all my life and now have switched to a Mac Mini of all things... just the i5 8gig ( going to upgrade to 16 shortly ) but logic 9 with lots of UA plugins... runs amazing... will never look back and I spent months investigating making sure I'm future proof - just my two cents

new to this forum man but I've been a pc man all my life and now have switched to a Mac Mini of all things... just the i5 8gig ( going to upgrade to 16 shortly ) but logic 9 with lots of UA plugins... runs amazing... will never look back and I spent months investigating making sure I'm future proof - just my two cents

I should've added that I use Reaper.. :)
Macs are undoubtedly good, having used them in studios, although I couldn't survive without tweaking the case/hardware/software..

Is it a Mac Mini 2,3 Ghz, this one?: http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-Mac-Mini/product~dpno~8815617~pdp.giecbha

Try to safe up some extra money on that MB and CPU it will increase your speed dramatically.
i7 2600k, works perfect!

That's a no can do, sir!
I've already saved up for a few months.. :)
I need to make music now!

In March, Intel is releasing their new architecture "Haswell".. and I thik it will kick some serious ass.. I contemplated waiting for it.. but..
Like I said.. I need to make music now..

So far no one has gone with the (in)famous AMD FX Bulldozer.. :O

I built my pc 4-5 years ago and it's somehow still good for music and runs Skyrim/Diablo 3 lol. Cpu is a 3.1GHz dual-core AMD. I also only use 4Gb for ram (hyper x 800mHz). Quite modest but efficient.

i7 950 w/ 6 Gigs of RAM.

I built it a few years ago and it's plenty good for my audio stuff.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ Go there. I found the best cpu based off the score for my motherboard. And i am so happy i went there because I got the best cpu my motherboard supports and now my computer is running flawlessly. This is what you do. Take a look at the CPUs and see what type of motherboard runs them. And buy that motherboard (hopefully a respectable brand). Or if you already have the motherboard. Go to the website of the motherboard look at the CPUs it supports. Refer to the benchmark and look at the highest rated for the motherboard (thats what i did).

Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM, still fine unless running disgustingly high amounts of plugins with lots of oversampling etc.

Fight me.

I had a P4 when i first started working on a DAW, still use it at band practice. I upgraded to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 about 4 years ago and i'm still running everything just fine on it, i'm using PT9. I would love a little more power so i don't run higher than 80% on some bigger sessions but i recently added a UAD-2 and i don't really hit the limit anymore.

If i were to buy a computer today i would grab an i5 or maybe a lower end i7. It would out perform my current setup which i am already doing fine with. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you require insane power because you play games on ultra graphics or run sessions with 100+ tracks regularly. Any CPU today will be a huge improvement to what you currently have, like you said, so just grab the best thing you can afford.