What kind of CPU do you guys have?

I had a P4 when i first started working on a DAW-
-I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you require insane power because you play games on ultra graphics or run sessions with 100+ tracks regularly. Any CPU today will be a huge improvement to what you currently have, like you said, so just grab the best thing you can afford.

Ahh, I started off with a AMD 233MHz.. :D
Basically rendering after 1 track + 1 vst.. almost..

Games aren't important, I will be relying on the IGP for awhile.. the i5 3570K has Intel HD 4000 Graphics.. I'll probably just play Fallout 3 + New Vegas.. and Starcraft II.. so nothing fancy..

I won't be running an insane amount of tracks.. would be nice to be able to run at least 20 tracks, with some vsts on each, without having to render..
Now I can't even run 2 guitar tracks with vsts + Steven Slate Drums..

Prices are going up and down like a fucking JoJo..
Hopefully they'll drop next week, when I order..

^this dude knows what's up

if you aren't needing to run an insane amount of shit, fuck the overpriced intels. the AMD phenom i have is a six-core, and runs pretty damned fast with no over-clocking, and was cheap as all shit compared to the intel offerings. that isn't to say intels don't perform better - because they do - but when you put performance against price, i feel like it's a no-brainer unless you're a true professional who's consistently running 100+ track sessions...and even then, i'm confident that my $100 6-core would suffice, given the proper motherboard, enough RAM, and a fast enough HD.

Yeah, I bought it, a mobo, and an zalman cooler for $80 from my friend. It's only ever choked up when I've got maybe 10+ amp sims with impulses while monitoring 16 live drum channels with convolution on them as well. Which is kinda unrealistic cause I don't like to track with fx and def don't need that many ampsims.

I've now ordered:
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Pro4
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
SSD: Crucial SSD m4 128GB

I have the other parts.. also two hdds..
Next month I'll be getting another SSD for samples only..

Hopefully the i5 3570K will last me a few years.. no hyperthreading.. but I'll be able to overclock it to at least 4Ghz, hopefully 4,5Ghz, without issues..

I have been looking into one of the new amd fx processors that are 8-core's. Seem's to be the power I need that i am not getting with my current quad core machine.

If you mean Bulldozer (Zambezi) then read the reviews first, before you decide..

It's way cheaper than the Intel-series, but it's not better..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say that I settled for the i5 3570K..
Built the PC last Friday..
HUGE difference from my Pentium 4.. :D
Fuck me..
Got a stable overclock at 4,2Ghz.. It's awesome..

Opened a project in Reaper with a Slate Drum-track I had issues with at a 1024 buffer..
Now I ran the buffer at 64..
Opened seven of those tracks, running fine.. :D
Haven't tried more..

Hopefully it'll be as good at recording.. with no issues..
And I can record at 64 instead of 256..

I have an Mac mini 2011 withe in SSD and 8GB RAM. It is an i5 2,3ghz.
But the core of my plugin power is an Universal Audio Apollo Quad.
That is faster than Hell ...
i know that The Apollo is not the cheap one... me and my band have hard work for this...

Well my cpu just crapped, so im kinda have to buy a new computer(i guess). I dont need a powerhouse at all, gotta have to buy the cheapest best. I dont need intel too in fact im building amd since 2002 and its great for what it is. So anybody has any opinion about getting these new a10-5800k apus? or get an fx series? I dont want to replace anything in my configuration at least for 4-5 years and i want my VST performance meter not going above at least 50-60%. Will these apus do the job? My lastest cpu was an 5000+ x2 amd

Well my cpu just crapped, so im kinda have to buy a new computer(i guess). I dont need a powerhouse at all, gotta have to buy the cheapest best. I dont need intel too in fact im building amd since 2002 and its great for what it is. So anybody has any opinion about getting these new a10-5800k apus? or get an fx series? I dont want to replace anything in my configuration at least for 4-5 years and i want my VST performance meter not going above at least 50-60%. Will these apus do the job? My lastest cpu was an 5000+ x2 amd

Intel are more expensive for a reason, they just straight make better CPUs. Try an Intel i5 series.

Intel are more expensive for a reason, they just straight make better CPUs. Try an Intel i5 series.

I know that intel makes great cpus, and the i7 is very good, much better than any amd cpu. But if i could do anything on an amd for half the prize why should I go for it? I just want an honest AMD cpu working preferably in 2016 too.

I know that intel makes great cpus, and the i7 is very good, much better than any amd cpu. But if i could do anything on an amd for half the prize why should I go for it? I just want an honest AMD cpu working preferably in 2016 too.

Like I said earlier I went with a i5 3570K..
BUT.. I bought (sort of accidentally) an AMD FX-4100 to have in my internet-PC/other-crap-than-music-PC..
It doesn't feel as fast as the i5, even though I've overclocked it the same amount as the i5..
I'm running Win 7, with hotfixes installed for the FX..
I've heard that the FX-series should work better on Win 8..

Since I'm using both, I'd say go for AMD if you desperatly need a new workstation.. AND if you're staying on the same software, otherwise it probably won't do that well in 2016..
New stuff is coming out all the time..