What kind of places do black metal-guys grow up?

Tantemøkken

Some kind of member...
Sep 13, 2005
Norway
I have thought much about the following:

I have grown op in a little, drained marsh-area with mountains on many of the sides, quite isolated, cold and dark there, last place the snow melted...

The thing I've noticed is that the onliest person who have have had any kind of fame (minor (or may medium, due to the genre)) from this area, played guitar in a black metal band.
(An other person growing up in the same place, but a little higher up than the cursed marsh-area, still cold, but not so isolated and dark, have also got famous (medium, I guess) playing guitar in a prog-rock band.)

Is there possible that there is a tiny connection between the kind of place you grow up, and what kind of music you eiter play or like?

And, if you want to share it, I'm of course extremely curious about what kind of places the Bork-members grew up...

Suburban places for both my residences. One was closer to the ocean than the other, but the snow melted just about the same speed.
I highly doubt that the place you grow up really has any effect on what music you listen to, as I'm sure there are many people who have lived in a city who love country music.

"I highly doubt that the place you grow up really has any effect on what music you listen to, as I'm sure there are many people who have lived in a city who love country music."

It's not the place that affects your view and choice on music, but the people relative to that place. So, in the city, you're likely to find more people in their teens listening to rap, so you might listen to rap (OH GOD NO!!!). If you're in the country, the geography and politics don't make you like country music, you just grow up with it around you and you're usually more biased towards it.

It was my brother who got me into metal, I live in a residential area near downtown Toronto.

Since I cannot include myself in the category of "black metal guys", by virtue of the fact that most aforementioned guys are but doofuses, I will simply add that I enjoy listening to Gorgoroth, which's what I'd call black metal, and I was born and grew up in Shreveport Louisiana, U.S.A., which just straight up sucks ass. Although I do favor the city crest (my avatar). I lived in New Orleans for a brief spell as an adult -- what a dump that place is.

I also grew up in Norman, Oklahoma, U.S.A., which also sucks a big redneck ass, excepting of course the name; the relevance of which I didn't come to know until just a few years ago.

My home is in Washington state, which's, like, totally awesome.

For the record, I would call Borknagar progressive with black metal tendencies, though I could be mistaken.

Anyone listen to Ophthalamia, by the way?

Øjeblikket said:
Anyone listen to Ophthalamia, by the way?
Yeah. It's not the best thing I've ever heard, but they do have some good songs. Always have been a fan of Nödtveidt's work.

I don't think it depends on where you grew up at all. I grew up on the outside of a river town in southern Ohio where there is but hillbillies.

I think the music you listen to is just a direct reflection of who you are as an individual. Normally, if you gravitate toward a certain sound in music, you usually gravitate towards the same of other extreme entertainments like a lust for excitement. It's like I was into metal in my early teens then I found something more exciting, which was death metal, then I found something even more exciting, which was black metal. But now, I guess I've mellowed and enjoy folk/viking/black metal more now.

And btw there are even Brazilian black metal bands so it couldn't possibly be the climate. They are imitators of the originals, of course. The originators did come from the cold climates. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong. haha!

dia_hain said:
I think the music you listen to is just a direct reflection of who you are as an individual. Normally, if you gravitate toward a certain sound in music, you usually gravitate towards the same of other extreme entertainments like a lust for excitement. It's like I was into metal in my early teens then I found something more exciting, which was death metal, then I found something even more exciting, which was black metal. But now, I guess I've mellowed and enjoy folk/viking/black metal more now.

Great post, and I totally agree. I think it's a real mindset thing really.

I grew up in countryside England, and then moved here to Australia when I was 8. Now at the age of 30 I live near the sea (and I find Borknagar is AWESOME music when watching the sea, seeing the waves crash etc).

I think it has a lot more to do with your personality... I'm a happy person, but I keep it reasonably chilled out... But I am definitely a very dark person by nature, and brood a lot. I find metal a good fit for my personality as well as my artistic tastes.

Hi!

I live in Brazil, and surely climate don't affect your musical tastes... We have a lot of crap music around here, but the Black Metal is supported by some serious bands, some of them that I recommend to any BMer. Like someone said before, I'm a happy guy overall, but a dark person by nature. Hehehe, and trust me, living in a city where the temperature easily reaches 42 Celsius degrees during summer don't prevents us from doing some mother-fucking-Black-Metal, hehehehe :headbang:

About that imitator thing, hehehe, I disagree a bit. We had a lot of great extreme bands, like Sarcofago and Vulcano. Vulcano, I think, was one of the first Black Metal bands in all Americas; it was formed around 1982. I think that the whole Black Metal thing was some kind of global thought, hehehe... Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Vulcano, Sarcofago, etc, all came almost at the same time :worship:

If anyone is interested in some brazilian BM bands, I would be glad to share some music :D

Fiery Vortex said:
If anyone is interested in some brazilian BM bands, I would be glad to share some music :D
Yes, I am interested in brazilian BM. (As far as I've only been intereasted in BM for a quite short while, and in that while just bought some BM from my own country.)

Since evry music-listeners seems to slaughter my theory:loco:, I just wondered, is there anyone music-players that have a opinion?

George said:
Yeah. It's not the best thing I've ever heard, but they do have some good songs. Always have been a fan of Nödtveidt's work.

well, I have only listened to Via Dolorosa, and I can't recall anything about it except that it leaned toward the mellower side of metal and had some entertaining somethings about it that I might be interested in rediscovering.

come to think of it, has anyone heard this album?

http://www.endtime-mailorder.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5

The Norwegian band's contribution "Footprints of Thunder" spun
a web of classical symphonies and traditional folk studded with the
beautiful anger of black metal.

I stumbled across the band while researching the lore (that is, of the traditional Vardøger), and I have yet to sample any of their songs.

Ahamkara said:
Nope, its the blackest harlequin forest of Blacksburg, Virginia!

I say right here in Los Angeles where everything gets fucked up and corrupt and christians populate

I grew up in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

There were metalheads in junior high, but mostly punk proliferated (which is not a bad thing).

After that, I was the only metalhead I knew. So I developed an ecclectic assortment of whatever was popular in metal from 1992-1999, until about college (in Chicago), when hi-speed internet allowed me to zip around the internet and receive MP3s.

Now I'm a metalhead Ph.D. student in the US, and my metal collection is purdy big. Been metal so long, I've resigned myself to being a metal lifer.

^^