What made them trash themselves so much?

zezima940

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey... do any of you recall that any of CoB's members have told us why they fucking trash themselves so much? I mean every single one of them is drinking heavily and all of them smoke except for Janne... WHY? Do they want to die early? As far as I know they haven't had any problems in their childhood or after that would affect them in a way that makes them smoke and drink so much?

Scandinavian people drink a lot. Don't be too surprised. There's something wrong with the immune system of all the Scandinavian people. They drink so much and they are still OK... But I bet CoB know what they are doing- they are in their 30s and Roope is in his 40s so they are not babies and they know what they are doing. :) However, I can't imagine them without the alcohol........

Hey... do any of you recall that any of CoB's members have told us why they fucking trash themselves so much? I mean every single one of them is drinking heavily and all of them smoke except for Janne... WHY? Do they want to die early? As far as I know they haven't had any problems in their childhood or after that would affect them in a way that makes them smoke and drink so much?

Mother
Tell your children not to drink too much
Tell your children not to smoke too much
What they mean
What they say
Mother

Mother
Can you keep 'em in the dark for life
Can you hide them from the waiting world
Oh mother

Are you kidding me? Have you actually seen the footage they've released along the years? :lol: Every person with at least little understanding of psychology can tell Alexi and Roope have had serious issues, while Jaska is a question mark. Alexander was weird because he left, Henkka is weird because he's staying with these guys and Janne is just weird otherwise. (Nobody survives Joonas' whip, lol.) They're enjoying their life, however the interesting twist comes when you can't really tell whether the drinking is for healing sorrows or enhancing the joy.

Besides how can we tell what it does to the mind to realize you're playing these cool metal concerts for crowds of tens of thousands of people every other night? Everyone has their stuff, you can't say this guy has no reason to drink. One - or actually the only - good reason is it's so fucking fun, but these drugs are psychophysically very addictive so there's no wonder. They tell you they've started cutting it down due to severe hangovers, but there's more to it, eventually you realize it's not healthy and you lose your soul in the hazes of drunken nights.

I've always been a crazy party guy like them, drinking and smoking, so I know exactly why they do it. Plus to that they're famous metal stars who tour the world and have the most awesome adventures. It's in the music too. But I also have interests in things such as sports, nutrition and spirituality, so I also have the means to stop poisoning myself, but it's a long inward journey into the depths of your mind to find the roots that led you on that path.

To get rid of the extremely tempting habits of partying as stress release, you need to go thru some serious self-analyzation, find interest in the many aspects of healthy lifestyle and find motivating factors in life that make you want to live healthy. You never want to not-drink. There are certain ways that make the quitting immediate such as having a child or developing a lethal decease.

Atm, no alchohol or smoke for 26 days and counting, I'm the farthest I've yet been (mentally, not chemically) on the route to abstinence, so I know this shit.

There's something wrong with the immune system of all the Scandinavian people. They drink so much and they are still OK...

Well that's not true.

But I bet CoB know what they are doing- they are in their 30s and Roope is in his 40s so they are not babies and they know what they are doing. :)

That's not true either.

However, I can't imagine them without the alcohol........

It's trivial to me if they don't start making legendary albums again.

why does everybody think "heavy" drinking relates to problems n shit? Its just that you and your body get used to it after some time and some time later you may become addicted. Its not true that every person who drinks frequently has problems to deal with and/or tries to solve them with drinking

Newsflash: 99% of young rock/metal bands drink a lot when touring, and COB tour a lot. And yes, why should it have anything to do with problems? Some people like to party.

drinking is their primary bonding mechanism- it's something they all can agree on

I figured the drinking started for Alexi as an attempt to get along/prove himself to Alexander. Then it just became something to do. Probably needs to get laid more often. Maybe they all drink so much so they can't get boners around each other. You know alcohol thins the blood and that makes it difficult for men to get erections. And I suspect these guys aren't getting laid on the road as frequently as the usual rock star stories would lead you to believe. I guess being a rock star doesn't always mean lots of sex.

Are you kidding me? Have you actually seen the footage they've released along the years? :lol: Every person with at least little understanding of psychology can tell Alexi and Roope have had serious issues, while Jaska is a question mark. Alexander was weird because he left, Henkka is weird because he's staying with these guys and Janne is just weird otherwise. (Nobody survives Joonas' whip, lol.) They're enjoying their life, however the interesting twist comes when you can't really tell whether the drinking is for healing sorrows or enhancing the joy.

Besides how can we tell what it does to the mind to realize you're playing these cool metal concerts for crowds of tens of thousands of people every other night? Everyone has their stuff, you can't say this guy has no reason to drink. One - or actually the only - good reason is it's so fucking fun, but these drugs are psychophysically very addictive so there's no wonder. They tell you they've started cutting it down due to severe hangovers, but there's more to it, eventually you realize it's not healthy and you lose your soul in the hazes of drunken nights.

I've always been a crazy party guy like them, drinking and smoking, so I know exactly why they do it. Plus to that they're famous metal stars who tour the world and have the most awesome adventures. It's in the music too. But I also have interests in things such as sports, nutrition and spirituality, so I also have the means to stop poisoning myself, but it's a long inward journey into the depths of your mind to find the roots that led you on that path.

To get rid of the extremely tempting habits of partying as stress release, you need to go thru some serious self-analyzation, find interest in the many aspects of healthy lifestyle and find motivating factors in life that make you want to live healthy. You never want to not-drink. There are certain ways that make the quitting immediate such as having a child or developing a lethal decease.

Atm, no alchohol or smoke for 26 days and counting, I'm the farthest I've yet been (mentally, not chemically) on the route to abstinence, so I know this shit.

Well that's not true.

That's not true either.

It's trivial to me if they don't start making legendary albums again.

Yes I have seen their backstage footage: History of Bodom on the DVD and Thrashed in Helsinki :) They didn't say anything about serious issues there? I haven't read so many interviews though, so what are these issues Alexi and Roope have?

And congratulations with being off that "poision". Personally I have no intention to stop drinking, then again I'm not an alcohol addict and I don't drink much. I'm not 18 so I can't smoke, but when I turn 18 I plan to smoke occasionally when drinking :rofl: I'll stop when I get too old tho :p I love parties when I go to them so I see fun is a huge factor to do these things! ;D But I didn't know Alexi and Roope did it because of issues?

I want to form a band too so hopefully I will experience what CoB have, although I bet I don't get famous x

Btw I have never used parties as a stress release, I play videogames for that, so how does it work? :p Does it work well? :D

why does everybody think "heavy" drinking relates to problems n shit? Its just that you and your body get used to it after some time and some time later you may become addicted. Its not true that every person who drinks frequently has problems to deal with and/or tries to solve them with drinking

I didn't say that everyone that drinks have a problem, but when they drink as much as CoB I started to wonder about it may have been caused by issues. But you're right that they may just had so much fun that their bodies got used to it, so they continue :p

Newsflash: 99% of young rock/metal bands drink a lot when touring, and COB tour a lot. And yes, why should it have anything to do with problems? Some people like to party.

I know that, and I have many years of partying ahead of me myslef so I see why they do it of that reason :) I just wondered if they COULD have had any problems that triggered it?

It depends on the person what role the alcohol has. Alexi has told about his past and to me it's clear it's related to him ending up in the situations he's had. Other people have trouble with it and that indicates deeper issues and that makes alcohol a dangerous companion. Amazingly I've experienced all the same (apart from suicide attempts): similar traumas, similar alcohol abuse, similar bone breaking accidents. People keep telling you're stupid and to fix your ways, but it won't help until you realize.

They didn't say anything about serious issues there? I haven't read so many interviews though, so what are these issues Alexi and Roope have?
I just wondered if they COULD have had any problems that triggered it?

No, they didn't say anything about issues. There are no stories being told. I can't personally vouch for whether or not any of them had abusive or alcoholic parents. That is the most commonly cited 'reason' for heavy and alcoholic drinking. I know because I've done AA. I got right up next to four months when I decided it was best for my health if I had a drink. That didn't go very well as I let it get too far and even small amounts of alcohol (small for me and I'm pretty lightweight) yielded some unpleasant consequences. (Over a period of some months it took the equivalent of five liters of vodka to get all the cyanide- slowly accumulated to the last stage- out of my follice, but i did see a clean follicle for the first time since college. That lasted a couple of weeks, and now my 'roots' are grey again) Roope is older. The nick 'Wildchild' is pretty self-explanatory. You can see on COBTV Alexi tells Roope he is an old man, Roope seems to agree, and they have a short exchange about something Roope did that 'the boys' convinced him to do. It seems Roope doesn't remember it, and says it is best not to remember those things. That leads me to believe that they all agree they drink because it is the popular thing to do. The other bands drink. Bodom has to keep up the pace just to fit in.

I haven't read so many interviews though, so what are these issues Alexi and Roope have?

I don't know about Roope so I don't want to speculate, he's a nice dude, but doesn't come across as one of the few who never had any issues. Alexi encountered a gang attack, threats, attempted suicide, serious depression until at least 2002, still battled with alcohol abuse last year which got him into accidents along the years. I think somebody helped him years ago. What we know of, it came close two times that we would never had had the COB albums, once by a handful of pills and whiskey, once by razor that nearly cut his frethand tendons...

And congratulations with being off that "poision".

Cheers. Doing my best to develop.

Remember even the hobbit couldn't let go of the Ring, it was only when his friend reminded of the little good things that were before the ashes and anguish. The dark seductions offer immediate consolation for an inner emptiness and a sense of strength and security, but they make you paranoid and dim the meaning of true good things like close people and strawberries. I loved that symbolism. Also when you embrace the tool of the Devil, the other dark ones will eventually find you. No wonder the first time Frodo embraced the Ring was around a pite of beer while feeling haunted. It was also something that passed onto him from his relative. Likewise, it may consume you, but contrary to the story it does not provide long age. :)

Btw I have never used parties as a stress release, I play videogames for that, so how does it work? :p Does it work well? :D

Oh yes it works, but it works like a boomerang, only the boomerang sometimes returns as a scythe. I figured it helps when I got actually dumped by a depressed girlfriend at your age and found consolidation in partying. I figured she was a slut of the worst kind, never had a chance to gain a revenge and was left with hatred, which led to other things (the feeling of power that comes by drinking is good balzam for the frustration of not receiving justice) but enough of detail. You can get lost in there, seen some friends get lost who will probably never come back. And my fight is not over just yet.

But you're right that they may just had so much fun that their bodies got used to it, so they continue :p

It's not good to stop feeling the hurt of something that damages you.

Alcohol can only bring you problems- it's not a way out of them. If you are addicted and you wanna stop it's mega painful. A friend of mine went through that and it was disgusting. I don't know the band very well but I don't think that they are addicted or something. They don't look like addicted.
@Joonas: OK, I was probably wrong about the immune system thing but I know ppl from Finland and I've never seen them completely sober :lol: If I drink that much I would probably die :D However, sorry, don't take it seriously :)

If you are addicted and you wanna stop it's mega painful. A friend of mine went through that and it was disgusting.

Sometimes it takes proper mental and external preparation and the right moment to try. Besides self-development there also came a time when I realized the selfishness and rottenness of going into the night to chase for twisted pleasures and forget the truth of life.

@Joonas: OK, I was probably wrong about the immune system thing but I know ppl from Finland and I've never seen them completely sober :lol: If I drink that much I would probably die :D

I think the dark and cold lead to such qualities of depression that reguire sauna and lots of booze to make up for the abscence of the sun.

I think the dark and cold lead to such qualities of depression that reguire sauna and lots of booze to make up for the abscence of the sun.

Exposure to sunlight is necessary for the body to convert cholesterol to vitamin D. Seasonal Affective Disorder is winter depression that results (in some) from the decreased amount of sunlight. Then of course there is circadian rhythm which does have to do with exposure to different levels of light.

Cold will definitely make you want a drink and sauna to warm up.

Exposure to sunlight is necessary for the body to convert cholesterol to vitamin D. Seasonal Affective Disorder is winter depression that results (in some) from the decreased amount of sunlight. Then of course there is circadian rhythm which does have to do with exposure to different levels of light.

Yes, the sun is an entity most beings can't live without. Humans aren't adapted to the darkness, but I believe the spiritual importance of the sun is stronger. Even if we fuel ourselves with the missing stuff (like vitamin D etc) it still isn't the same. How can you artificially create the sun? And certainly alcohol can't make up for it. It's a depressant actually, that only gives a moment of happiness due to burning the hormone storage from your brain that creates a sensation of joy. Next morning it's gone and you are left with the mental and physical hangover and strungout on getting drunk once the hormones return. In additon, you try to make the hangover fear of death go away by doing stupid things like bad nutrition and bad sex partners.

Cold will definitely make you want a drink and sauna to warm up.

Yep, but there are other ways, like sauna and a bananasmoothie after workout.

There's no sense to deny the fun of drinking, fooling yourself will not get you far; drinking is super fun, but you have to let go sometimes for the better.

Fear of death is not a strong enough motivator, but the love for life is.

I figured the drinking started for Alexi as an attempt to get along/prove himself to Alexander. Then it just became something to do. Probably needs to get laid more often. Maybe they all drink so much so they can't get boners around each other. You know alcohol thins the blood and that makes it difficult for men to get erections. And I suspect these guys aren't getting laid on the road as frequently as the usual rock star stories would lead you to believe. I guess being a rock star doesn't always mean lots of sex.

:)

I've been told that being on stage is something like the best high ever and also that sometimes the audience is very draining.