What made you sad today?

Bought a fishing pole including reel and stuff and the broke almost directly. The company I bought it from wont refund me:(

Also the heat is killing me.

People who call in sick to work when what they really mean is that they can't be arsed to turn up for work. Now I know we've all done it in our younger days....25 years ago I was as guilty as the next person but when folk in their 40's and 50's do it it's rather pathetic I think.

My thoughts are with everyone affected by the events in Paris. Unbelievable tragedy.

Fuck terrorists. Fuck every single one of them. Absolute wastes of life.

It hits hard because it's close to home and it hits hard because it feels like an assault on rock and roll but there's more to it than that and people are quick to remind you "Well you didn't give a damn about X number of innocents lost today in X, why should you give a damn now?". Any loss of life is a tragedy it's jus that ...I think, perhaps selfishly, that this shook so many of us because we felt like it could so so so easily have been us.

Fuck terrorism. Fuck those misguided cowards.

I hate the argument 'you should care about [x] because you cared about [x].' I also hate hate hate social media posts that are 'pray for [x]' ad infinitum. It is a simple limitation of the human mind to only be able to care for and about so many causes/beliefs/tragedies at a given time. There are atrocities committed every hour of every day of every year all around the world - this is not lost on most people. But as tragic as it is for any life to be lost, some events are significant, and events closer to home will have more impact on an individual than something in a remote foreign land they may have never heard of before. There's a great South Park episode about this from a few years ago, where part of the shtick is related to oppressed farmers in Belarus (and people who can't even pronounce the name is a joke, too).

The point is, there's a certain capacity for tragedy and compassion, and it's just not feasible to track every single act of barbarism around the globe day in and day out. You do what you can, you support what you can. But just because there is mourning for one tragedy does not mean others are out of mind.

To quote that image I shared on Facebook: STOP KILLING PEOPLE, YOU FUCKING TWATS.

Couldn't agree more. I said as much online:

I'd also say my instinct is to tut at the shallow displays of lazy support and bandwagon hopping which will soon be forgotten about BUT yknow if it brings people together and united under a just cause that can only be a positive thing rather than being a smug cynical sideline metacritic

Very sad to hear of the passing of the great Jonah Lomu this morning at the age of 40. Arguably the first global rugby superstar, he'd been suffering with kidney disorder for a long time but even so...40 ffs :) Thoughts go out to family and friends in NZ from a passionate Welshman at this difficult time.

Very sad to hear of the death of Victoria Wood. I can't think of a woman who's made me cry with laughter as much as her. She perfectly encapsulated all the humour of the north and the lower classes. She was a genius of comedy and drama, musically gifted and always down to earth and humble. She'll be very sorely missed.

And now the death of Prince. Say what you like about the man, but the musician and songwriter were incredibly talented and influential.

Aye Dom.....Victoria and Prince, massive talents and massive losses. 62 and 57 respectively......that's no age to be departing this life is it? :-(

If anything, as I approach 45, this actually reminds me of how short life can be and not to put off until tomorrow what can be done today

What hasn't there been to mourn this year?

The latest being the UK leaving the EU and now the England national football team being kicked out of the Euro 16 by ICELAND of all teams.

Utterly ashamed to be an Englishman these days.

Been placed at risk of redundancy at work along with some other colleagues. Same as what happened just over a year ago. Still fuming about it. Far less justification for it happening this time around, makes it harder to take.

Been placed at risk of redundancy at work along with some other colleagues. Same as what happened just over a year ago. Still fuming about it. Far less justification for it happening this time around, makes it harder to take.

So sorry to hear that, dude. Does that mean you'll be out of work soon? I hope not!

So sorry to hear that, dude. Does that mean you'll be out of work soon? I hope not!
Could be yes. Basically it means I have to be re-interviewed for my job. The whole "consultation period" as they call it lasts a month, so it could be I retain my job, could be I don't, could be I manage to get a job elsewhere instead.

The company for which I work had to let some people go. Some people who really didn't deserve it. At the same time some people who do deserve to leave get to stay because they've worked there for many years. Shame.

Indeed. Another things that always annoys me is when the long-timers(and I'd like to add; slackers) say things like "it used to be better" or "I've been here to long" and similar stuff. Meanwhile some of us newcomers(age 20-30) are busting our asses of to do a good job, and we are grateful for it. Considering the unemployment around all the world, people should be fucking happy for being able to work.

That sucks, Marty. At least you still have your job, though, unless you fear you're next on the chopping block (hopefully not!). I forget, are you in the States? Come to ProgPower next year, it'll be a party :)

I'm not next on the list, but you never know. These are scary times:-(

I wish, dude! But I'm a born and raised swede! Live in southern part of Sweden. Otherwise I'd love to go!!

Thought things were going swimmingly with a girl I fell crazy hard for but the last few weeks have been a nightmare. Guess that's on me for letting myself get close.

Now it's cold and gets dark early and I'm all alone. Nothing else has changed but it's hard to go back to just enjoying things by myself (even the same activities as before) after falling for someone like that. Shit.