Define alt rock, cause for you to say it doesn't belong in metal you'd have to have a pretty simple minded definition. Alt rock isn't even a genre after all. No Replacements? No Sonic Youth? No Cure? No Radiohead? No My Bloody Valentine? No Slint? No Stone Roses? No Meat Puppets? No Cocteau Twins? No Nick Cave? No Jesus and the Mary Chain? No Violent Femmes?

No opinion on Replacements. Sonic Youth is pretentious and kinda shitty compared to the kind of noise rock I prefer, but they have their moments. Fuck the Cure and Radiohead. My Bloody Valentine deserves props for an original aesthetic but that's about it, their songs are largely bleh. Slint is OK, one of those entry-level "Non-metal for metal" bands, I liked them a lot more when I only listened to metal. Have never heard the Meat Puppets. Cocteau Twins are great, or at least were up to Blue Bell Knoll before they got too alt-rock-y. Nick Cave's solo stuff I haven't given much time, but the Birthday Party is excellent stuff. Never listened to Jesus and the Mary Chain or the Violent Femmes.

The one thing unifying all of those artists is that no metal bands should ever try incorporating influences from them.

No opinion on Replacements. Sonic Youth is pretentious and kinda shitty compared to the kind of noise rock I prefer, but they have their moments. Fuck the Cure and Radiohead. My Bloody Valentine deserves props for an original aesthetic but that's about it, their songs are largely bleh. Slint is OK, one of those entry-level "Non-metal for metal" bands, I liked them a lot more when I only listened to metal. Have never heard the Meat Puppets. Cocteau Twins are great, or at least were up to Blue Bell Knoll before they got too alt-rock-y. Nick Cave's solo stuff I haven't given much time, but the Birthday Party is excellent stuff. Never listened to Jesus and the Mary Chain or the Violent Femmes.

The one thing unifying all of those artists is that no metal bands should ever try incorporating influences from them.
Well at least you're not an ignorant twat. But you should totally know about Jesus and the Mary Chain and the Violent Femmes.

A metal band that goes to extreme lengths to attempt to assert its metalness is by no means a good band. I'm not bashing Manowar, they actually possess the personality and character to be able to pull it off without sounding too pompous. Some bands write nothing but metal anthems, and they sound like they essentially have their heads up their asses.

I dislike most DSBM bands because there's no way in hell that the emotions vented through the songs are actually authentic. Sorry, but as someone who has depressive traits, I know that it is virtually impossible to write music when depressed. It's just too difficult to conjure the motivation to actually put on the work required to write and record a song. I'm excluding a few bands from this statement.

Finally, the biggest reason why some metal bands suck is that they try to replicate the cliche, polished, and over-compressed sound used by "alternative" bands. Unfortunately, this seems to prevail in most modern metal releases. Analog recording sounds a lot better IMO.

Reactions: CiG
bad production
shitty guitar tone
pussy vocals
weird avant-garde crap

Any attempt at crossover in-between classic rock and power metal.

Trying to make things "Southern" without putting a lot of attention into it.

"The Doors" keyboards / organ

bland modern production, Andy Sneap for example

hip hop/rap/rnb influence

any-o or core shit, with a few exceptions that came into being before 1990.