what Mayhem should I get???

There is no 'big 4.' It would have to be 5 to include Emperor. They were just as big, if not bigger than Immortal, especially considering Samoth actually played a role in church arsons, Faust killed a guy, etc. They were definitely more connected. Satyricon came later though, along with Ulver, Gorgoroth, Hades, Helheim, etc.

Though I did think Ulver was in the beginning.

Everyone should listen to at least DMDS for historical perspective. It's weaker than most of the albums by the major bands at the time, but still moderately good. If it came out today no one would care about it, though.

Everyone should listen to at least DMDS for historical perspective. It's weaker than most of the albums by the major bands at the time, but still moderately good. If it came out today no one would care about it, though.

If I heard 'Buried By Time And Dust' I would. ;<

I think Freezing Moon and Funeral Fog are bad ass songs, I just like them a hell of a lot better with Maniac or Dead singing them rather than Attila because I'm thinking to myself "I'm not into these vocals but this music's bad ass".

There is no 'big 4.' It would have to be 5 to include Emperor. They were just as big, if not bigger than Immortal, especially considering Samoth actually played a role in church arsons, Faust killed a guy, etc. They were definitely more connected. Satyricon came later though, along with Ulver, Gorgoroth, Hades, Helheim, etc.
Yeah, you either need to add Emperor, or take out Immortal. I think taking out Immortal would make more sense, since Darkthrone, Burzum, Mayhem were indeed by far the three biggest. I guess I wasn't thinking when I typed that.

So it that really Varg you hear playing bass on DMDMS? Supposedly, they told the label that they took out Varg and had Hellhammer play the basslines (at the request of Euronymous' family), but then openly admitted to lying, and leaving Varg's basslines in.

So it that really Varg you hear playing bass on DMDMS? Supposedly, they told the label that they took out Varg and had Hellhammer play the basslines (at the request of Euronymous' family), but then openly admitted to lying, and leaving Varg's basslines in.

It's Varg.