What music did you listen to before metal?

Chris K.

New Metal Member
Nov 30, 2016
I have only been listening to metal for about a year and a half but before that I listened to a lot of alternative rock. Not so much anymore though. I was just wondering what music other metal heads listened to before metal? And do you still actively listen to it?

The main ones were video game music, the half dozen classical CDs my mom owned, and a lot of grunge and pop punk on the radio. Trance remixes of video game and anime themes uploaded on various fan sites as well.

Hmm the first album I owned was oldies. Then I progressed to classic rock, then alternative and pop punk, then grunge and metal at about the same time. classical came later, then jazz, and finally back to metal, and flamenco currently.

Punk, rock & roll, blues, rockabilly, bands like: Sex Pistols, Ramones, New York Dolls, Stray Cats, The Cramps, The Meteors, Demented Are Go, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Thunders, The Damned, DEVO, Skyhooks, KISS, Nick Cave, The Jam, The Clash, Elvis, Motorhead, etc.

My first vinyl was Michael Jackson's Thriller. I was hugely into hip hop in the early eighties. I watched Beat Street about a million times and had a bunch of hip hop comps. I remember Herbie Hancock's Rockit having a massive effect on me around then as well.

I gravitated towards stuff like Midnight Oil, Split Enz, The Angels and AC/DC when I got a bit older. AC/DC were definitely my gateway into harder things.

Reactions: CiG
serious answer:
childhood: cream, steeleye span, the beatles, beach boys, blur. i used to fall asleep listening to either my cassettes or atlantic 252 every night, and my dad used to play this stuff in the car too.

space were my first favourite band, i still enjoy them in all their campy glory (yall might know them from 'female of the species' and 'neighborhood' and 'avenging angels' and that song with catatonia, they have a lot of gooduns though). then the offspring, and i listened to a lot of other pop punk shit like green day, nofx, unwritten law, millencolin, fenix tx, me first & the gimme gimmes, new found glory. then i found nirvana, system of a down, started watching/reading kerrang etc. THE REST IS HISTORY

aside from some of the pop punk shit i still like almost all of this stuff. my tastes have never really changed, i just found music that more and more closely suited them.

Reactions: CiG
Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney, Christina, The Calling, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, The Used, and finally Deftones

Video game and movie scores and soundtracks were my jam as a kid. It segued into metal mainly through qotd soundtrack, Guilty Gear soundtrack, and the ESPN Winter X-Games soundtrack. From those I got into some of the bands featured and would download genre packs from Napster, which led to more discovery and further 'bands similar to' research. CoF was one of my favorites for years because of the flowery lyrical content and juxtaposition of classical or exotic instruments with metal, something I had never heard and continue to appreciate. My roots are still very well established, I have a hefty appreciation of original score compositions.

I guess maybe I should expand upon the question. How did you discover metal?