What music did you listen to before metal?

Already knew Judas Priest, Metallica and Black Sabbath but when I got into music you could describe as underground or extreme metal (a term I hate) was when I met a guy two years older than me that lived across the road, he was ahead of me with metal and showed me some stuff that at first was too crazy (Cannibal Corpse, The Berzerker, Deicide) but I eventually came around.

A metal buddy in college liked Deftones and Type O Negative and the standard well known bands. Eventually I surpassed him in extremeness though

Why do you hate the term extreme metal CIG? I think it's a fine umbrella term.

For me, people at school listened to nu metal stuff like Deftones, punkish stuff like Less Than Jake and metal stuff like Pantera. There was a girl who would wear a Cradle of Filth hoody as well. I guess I liked the fact that it was different to stuff I'd been exposed to before but I didn't really love it.

Then one day I decided to download "Raining Blood" and loved it. However, the first metal album that I bought and listened to in full was The Gallery by Dark Tranquillity. I listened to other melodeath that I'd heard was similar but never liked them as much. I was also heavily getting into Slayer and got their first 5 albums. From there I started looking into black metal. "Transilvanian Hunger" and "I am the Black Wizards" (EP version) were my first black metal songs and I instantly adored everything about them.

Altars of Madness was my first proper death metal record. I remember seeing it in a store but being too shy to buy it so I sent my mother to go and buy it for me haha.

I've been a slave to black and death metal ever since.

Why do you hate the term extreme metal CIG? I think it's a fine umbrella term.

It's a retarded personal thing of mine, extreme as a term reminds me of edgelords, kids into crap-tier bro-metal bands and other phrases like extreme sports, which I just associate with doofuses and energy drink chugging BMXtards.

Also these fuckheads.

:lol:

I've gone from skate punk to alternative rock that boarders metal to power metal to everything else.

Millencolin -> The Offspring -> Soundgarden -> Black Sabbath -> Blind Guardian.

I mostly listened to Grunge, big name metal bands, etc, then a friend of my brother spun Battalions of Fear for me and well, there was no turning back. Some of the first metal albums I bought were Walls of Jericho, some Stratovarius and some Virgin Steele albums. Would have been Blind Guardian albums as they quickly became my favorite band by far at that time but my brother bought all their albums instead. :)

haha i didn't realise that was like their fifth album, jesus. i actually didn't discover them through tony hawks myself, i heard the song 'penguins and polarbears' at a buddy's house i think.

When I was in middle school I listened to a lot of alt rock, nu metal, and rap. Then around 15 I started getting into prog and goth. That quickly led to bands like Opeth and My Dying Bride and extreme metal took over from there.

Michael Jacksson, Prince, Magnus Uggla, Sha-bom (lol), Kiss, Twisted Sister, Imperiet, Strebers, Dia Psalma but mostly Bon Jovi and Europe.

edit: I found this old post..
Had this documented on my last.fm :)

Music discoveries:
Up until I turned 10YOA (1990): Bon Jovi, Kizz, Twisted Sister, Michael Jackson, Prince, Magnus Uggla.
~11YOA: Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden.
~12-14YOA: Strebers, Asta Kask, KSMB and Imperiet, Slayer, Pantera, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Entombed, Dismember, In Flames, Paradise Lost, Samael, Death, Amorphis and Anathema.
~16-17YOA: The Prodigy, Antiloop and stuff like that. \,,/
~22-...YOA: Opeth, Swallow The Sun, Saturnus, Novembers Doom etc

I think Metallica and Sepultura was a big part of it.

Last edited:
I discovered metal via high school classmates just as I started getting into CDs. So everything I had on cassette I listened to beforehand, including Bloodhound Gang, The Prodigy, Supergroove, Shaggy, Billy Joel, Pearl Jam, POTUSA, Queen, Moose and Michael Jackson. Bloodhound Gang is still my favourite band, and I try to listen to the other stuff every now and then.