What other bands/artists do you listen to?

Lisra: That's understandable. Nostalgia can be a very powerful thing. There's many albums I remember listening to back in 2003 when I was first getting into this kind of music that still leave a mark when I listen to them now (ex. A Perfect Circle- Thirteenth Step, Arch Enemy- Anthems Of Rebellion, Entwine- Time Of Despair, Iron Maiden- Dance Of Death, Marilyn Manson- Mechanical Animals, Paradise Lost- Symbol Of Life, Soilwork- Figure Number Five, and Type O Negative- Life Is Killing Me). And in the case of Iron Maiden, this wasn't the first cd I heard by them; there's just some albums that are inextricably linked to that particular period in my life.

MadTinus: I understand the way you feel. The world is not a fair place; the good bands almost always go unheard while the mediocre is constantly being lauded. I've found it's easier to just ignore most popular music since it's garbage anyways. I have no idea who the newest popular 'artists' are and I feel happier because of it.

I'm gonna skip the obvious ones like Opeth, October Tide, and all the fairly known bands that owe their existences to Brave Murder Day (Daylight Dies, Rapture, et al). I'm pretty sure most Katatonia fans are aware of and listen to that stuff.

Without further ado...

Elend
Elend
Elend
Canaan
Anathema
Pain of Salvation
Nevermore
Novembre
Tiamat
Madder Mortem
Anata
Mechanical Poet
Alice in Chains
Eyes of Fire
Funeral
Pantheist
YOB
The Foreshadowing
Katharsis
Requiem Aeternam
Symphony X
Into Eternity

And a zillion others of greater, equal, and lesser importance. This is comin' right offa the top o' me head.

According to my LastFm:

Sentenced
Katatonia
Morbosidad
Slowdive
Archgoat
Opeth
Elliott Smith
Dream Theater
Worship
Nocturnal Graves
Bright Eyes
Jeff Buckley
Blasphemy
Goatlord
Catherine Wheel
Alice in Chains
Running Wild
Evergrey
Marilyn Manson
Ours
Acheron
Hellias
Repugnant
Judas Priest
Anal Vomit
Deiphago
Order From Chaos
Low
Varathron
Necros Christos
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Necrovation
Ares Kingdom
Martire
Lush
Damaar
Profanatica
Incantation
Beherit
Devastator
Kat
Blasphemophagher
Witchfinder General
Velvet Cacoon
Solitude Aeturnus
Joey Eppard
Proclamation
Drawn and Quartered
Darkthrone

This is pretty much what I listen to these days...There is also a bunch of stuff I have on vinyl that obviously doesn't get on there though.

Metal favourites:
Katatonia
Opeth
Moonsorrow
Primordial
Faith No More
(Tool maybe)

Non-metal favourites:
Funkadelic
Craig David
Funk Inc.
A Perfect Circle
Outkast
Infected Mushroom
Common (some stuff)

for me:

opeth
katatonia
my dying bride
porcupine tree
blackfield
anathema
green carnation
primordial
arcturus
portishead
muse
bright eyes
arcade fire
gazpacho
the pineapple thief (i recently discovered this band and guys believe me, they are gods)
callisto
agallogh
novembre

Wow this could take days! I'll name a few considering i listen to tons of Prog, Classic Rock, Alternative, Virtuoso guitarists etc.

Agalloch
Anathema
Amon Amarth
Carcass
Thurisaz (Belgium)
Bloodbath
Ensiferum
Turisas
In Mourning
Dark Tranquillity
Keep of Kalessin
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Gojira
Down
Hatesphere
The Absence
Hypocrisy
Immortal
"I"
Edge of Sanity
Unearth
Type O Negative
Swallow The Sun
Novembers Doom
Rapture
Death

Non-Metal:
Allman Brothers
Uriah Heep
Deep Purple
Rainbow
UFO
King Crimson
Yes
Moody Blues
Camel
Zeppelin
Robin Trower
Floyd
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Rusty Cooley
Al DiMeola
Alice in Chains
Radiohead

Wow this could take days! I'll name a few considering i listen to tons of Prog, Classic Rock, Alternative, Virtuoso guitarists etc.

Agalloch
Anathema
Amon Amarth
Carcass
Thurisaz (Belgium)
Bloodbath
Ensiferum
Turisas
In Mourning
Dark Tranquillity
Keep of Kalessin
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Gojira
Down
Hatesphere
The Absence
Hypocrisy
Immortal
"I"
Edge of Sanity
Unearth
Type O Negative
Swallow The Sun
Novembers Doom
Rapture
Death

Non-Metal:
Allman Brothers
Uriah Heep
Deep Purple
Rainbow
UFO
King Crimson
Yes
Moody Blues
Camel
Zeppelin
Robin Trower
Floyd
Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Rusty Cooley
Al DiMeola
Alice in Chains
Radiohead

Really great taste man!

My lastfm says:

Katatonia, Opeth, Agalloch, Porcupine Tree, Bloodbath, Anathema, Novembers Doom, October Tide, Mastodon, Edge of Sanity, In Flames, Ulver, Swallow the Sun, Morbid Angel, Pink Floyd, Daylight Dies, At the Gates, Draconian, Diabolical Masquerade, Anekdoten, King Crimson, Genesis, Antimatter, Insomnium, Nile, Borknagar, Pelican, Dark Tranquillity, Cult of Luna, Dream Theater, Six Feet of Foreplay, My Dying Bride, Red Sparowes, Strapping Young Lad, Dissection, Beyond Purity, Rapture, Alcest, Comus, Moonspell, Tool, Bolt Thrower, Meshuggah, In Mourning, Novembre, Vintersorg, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Blackfield.

Abyssos,Immortal,Finsterfrost,arcturus,Eikenskaden (aka mystic forest),Ancient wisdom,Amber Asylum
Shape Of Despair,Mayhem(early),Burzum,Ulver(early),Illnath,Shade Empire,Vesperian Sorrow,Nomans Land
KISS,Twisted Sister,Dio,Testament,Death Angel,AD/DC,Megadeth etc...