What records do you think need a proper reissue? SOUND OFF!

Matt: The remasters of the first four Megadeth albums were met with rather negative opinions. And indeed Dave remixed and remastered them - some track were found missing so he put in new vocal tracks etc. People felt cheated etc. Plus the remaster was found to be too hot and loud for most people. This is an extreme case though. Rust In Peace (the original release) has an awesome production and does not need any remastering to these ears.

I actually didn't mind most of the remixes, especially on So Far... considering the method of drum tracking on that album ruined it for me initially. It was so awkward sounding. They recorded the drums without cymbals and then went back and recorded cymbals. I understand why they did it, but it didn't work at all because it all sounded "off" in the end.

Killing and Peace Sells lost a bit of their charm for sure, but solid sounding kick drums in thrash metal is always a nice thing.

I actually didn't mind most of the remixes, especially on So Far... considering the method of drum tracking on that album ruined it for me initially. It was so awkward sounding. They recorded the drums without cymbals and then went back and recorded cymbals. I understand why they did it, but it didn't work at all because it all sounded "off" in the end.

Killing and Peace Sells lost a bit of their charm for sure, but solid sounding kick drums in thrash metal is always a nice thing.

As you said before - all of this is matter of taste and preference. The older I am the more I go towards first pressings with all of their flaws, quirks etc. That is one of the things I love about them. Of course - in some cases remastering is needed because the original really sounds lousy - for example the original Metal Blade pressing of Hirax's "Not Dead Yet" is really thin and weak sounding. The reissue and remaster helps that particular release.

Plus the first two Tyrant albums were finally re-released in non-bootleg CD form from Blood and Iron Records. And funnily I heard they did not remaster those and they sound as dark and gritty as they did. Colour me happy :)

As you said before - all of this is matter of taste and preference. The older I am the more I go towards first pressings with all of their flaws, quirks etc. That is one of the things I love about them. Of course - in some cases remastering is needed because the original really sounds lousy - for example the original Metal Blade pressing of Hirax's "Not Dead Yet" is really thin and weak sounding. The reissue and remaster helps that particular release.

Plus the first two Tyrant albums were finally re-released in non-bootleg CD form from Blood and Iron Records. And funnily I heard they did not remaster those and they sound as dark and gritty as they did. Colour me happy :)

Any idea the source used for these Tyrant reissues?

Any idea the source used for these Tyrant reissues?

No idea. I have the original Brainstorm Division/Art of Music CD pressings but I will be getting those reissues. They include lots of bonus tracks if I read correctly. Plus they have been done with the approval and help of Greg May so I assume there is some kind of good source available. Will get back to you.

I think what should be released
Satan-Court in the Act
Hawk-S/t
Seduce- S/t, Too Much Aint Enough
Gotham City- The Unknown

Z lot Z - 92
WWIII - s/t, When God Turned Away
Wildside - Under The Influence
Vinnie More - Mind's Eye, Time Odyssey
Joey Tafolla - Out Of The Sun
Tyketo - Don't Come Easy
Tankard - The Morning After
Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble
Running Wild - Death Or Glory
Powermad - Absolute Power
Onslaught - In Seach Of Sanity
Obliveon - Nemesis
Metal Church - The First 3 Albums
Little Caesar - S/t
Lethal - Programmed
Intruder - Escape From Pain
House Of Spirits - Turn Of The Tide
Gone -Weakness Within Living Memory
Edwin Dare - Can't Brake Me
Digital Ruin - Listen
Deliverance - Learn
Death Angel - Act III
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (No one has been able to make a proper Reissue of this. They all sound the same as the original CD)

And Marquee Records re-released those Blood Money albums with bonuses. I wonder how those sound but they were supposedly remastered. Overall - it is great that they are available!

And Marquee Records re-released those Blood Money albums with bonuses. I wonder how those sound but they were supposedly remastered. Overall - it is great that they are available!

Judging by their releases up until now which are loud, compressed and even from mp3 files (Nasty Savage),in other words horrible, I doubt Blood Money is different unfortunately.

Z lot Z - 92
WWIII - s/t, When God Turned Away
Wildside - Under The Influence
Vinnie More - Mind's Eye, Time Odyssey
Joey Tafolla - Out Of The Sun
Tyketo - Don't Come Easy
Tankard - The Morning After
Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble
Running Wild - Death Or Glory
Powermad - Absolute Power
Onslaught - In Seach Of Sanity
Obliveon - Nemesis
Metal Church - The First 3 Albums
Little Caesar - S/t
Lethal - Programmed
Intruder - Escape From Pain
House Of Spirits - Turn Of The Tide
Gone -Weakness Within Living Memory
Edwin Dare - Can't Brake Me
Digital Ruin - Listen
Deliverance - Learn
Death Angel - Act III
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (No one has been able to make a proper Reissue of this. They all sound the same as the original CD)

Z lot Z - 92 >>> not sure
WWIII - s/t, When God Turned Away >>> Universal owns debut, not sure about follow-up
Wildside - Under The Influence >> Capitol/EMI owns it, won't license
Vinnie More - Mind's Eye >> Shrapnel owns it, won't license
Time Odyssey >> Universal owns it, won't license
Joey Tafolla - Out Of The Sun >> Shrapnel owns it, won't license
Tyketo - Don't Come Easy >> rumors say Frontiers is reissuing
Tankard - The Morning After >> BMG owns it (with ALL Noise titles now), won't license it.
Scatterbrain - Here Comes Trouble >> reissued by Century Media, market flooded
Running Wild - Death Or Glory >>> BMG, see above
Powermad - Absolute Power >>> WMG owns it, won't license. Buy the new Japanese reissue, it sounds amazing. package same as original however.
Onslaught - In Seach Of Sanity >>> reissued already by Blackened Records
Obliveon - Nemesis >>> reissued already
Metal Church - The First 3 Albums >>> reissued in Japan, cannot get rights in USA
Little Caesar - S/t >>> not sure it warrants reissue
Lethal - Programmed >>> Metal Blade owns it.
Intruder - Escape From Pain >>> same, was reissued already by Lost & Found
House Of Spirits - Turn Of The Tide >>> owned by GUN/Sony. Tough to license I have heard. LOVE that album
Gone -Weakness Within Living Memory >>> don't know this one
Edwin Dare - Can't Brake Me >>> reached out, got no response
Digital Ruin - Listen >>> Keith Siegen owns it, won't license it.
Deliverance - Learn >>> not a fan really, so never looked into it.
Death Angel - Act III >>> Universal owns it. No license
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (No one has been able to make a proper Reissue of this. They all sound the same as the original CD) >>> pretty sure Century Media has done several editions of this all remastered.

Thanks for your response and recommendations matt. I ordered the Japanese Powermad - absolute power reissue, Thanks again.

I believe as a Massive Collector of Metal since 1983, that there are bands that never made it to CD or are very rare would be more desirable than some of the bands that you have done so far. Here is a list that should be done at some time if possible.
1.Blacklist - The Sign Of Four
2.Lady Killer - Lady Killer
3.Crucifixion - Green Eyes
4.Glacier - Vendetta
5.Xcaliber - Warriors Of The Night
6.Ivory Tiger - Metal Mountain
7.Cutthroat - S/T
8.Black Ice - Hot-N-Heavy
9.Fighter - No Pain No Gain
10.Quartz-Against All Odd's

Just to name a few. These bands never received the attention they deserved than or now. Bands like "Shotgun Messiah" I can get on eBay any day!
Dig into the depths of real "Metal" that everyone seems to be craving. I see too many releases of everyday bands, is it because that's what sells? I don't know. But again as a collector with over 8,000 CD's I can say the bands listed are what I'm looking for. Well. Thanks for letting me post this and voice my lame opinion.
Metal Cal

I believe as a Massive Collector of Metal since 1983, that there are bands that never made it to CD or are very rare would be more desirable than some of the bands that you have done so far. Here is a list that should be done at some time if possible.
4.Glacier - Vendetta
7.Cutthroat - S/T

Just to name a few. These bands never received the attention they deserved than or now. Bands like "Shotgun Messiah" I can get on eBay any day!
Dig into the depths of real "Metal" that everyone seems to be craving. I see too many releases of everyday bands, is it because that's what sells? I don't know. But again as a collector with over 8,000 CD's I can say the bands listed are what I'm looking for. Well. Thanks for letting me post this and voice my lame opinion.
Metal Cal

Cuttthroat has been but I can't remember who. Think it is probably out of print by now though.
Glacier; well it seems they aren't interested. I was working on it years ago and it looked like it was happening then suddenly ran into that far to common situation of dealing with slack asses. Still everyone wants to see this and many labels have tried for it. I'm sure eventually someone will put out a boot with a 12 page booklet and call it official though.
Ivory Tiger; was looking in on this too, guys are difficult to find. Did speak to the drummer years ago but once again... So just never got back around to it. Got the idea the guy had no interest.

Blacklist; was something else I was going to look into. I have it on CD, not sure who put it out though, think it was a Retrospect thing.

Lady Killer; one of the first things I ever looked into years ago and could find no trace of anyone connected to the band.

X-calibur; been searching for leads on this one for some years now and think I may have finally found something.

4.Glacier - Vendetta
7.Cutthroat - S/T

Metal Cal

While there are plenty of albums that are more deserving of reissues there are many things that go into reissuing albums other than deciding who needs it more. There are tasks of finding members (seeing if they can agree on reissue happening), securing licensing, locating masters (especially in the case of older indie releases) and so on.

I run a business, revenue is required to keep this business in motion. So while you can buy some of our releases in original form on Ebay and other reseller sites, that is not why I release what I do at Divebomb. I release updated versions of albums I love and others fans have turned me onto during this entire process. I am always absorbing new stuff.

Looking at your list I can already see a few bands who have zero interest in a reissue or cannot muster the energy to work on one with any labels, let alone themselves. These are things that I deal with everyday doing reissues.

Listing off albums is great (and absolutely ALWAYS welcomed), but as you will be able to see going back through this thread it is littered with all kinds of bands/labels who won't doing anything or license their materials. So I try and find bands who DO want their stuff reissued and work with them.

It neve3r fails to amaze me how easy some people think it is to do what we do. HAHA
I could list many bands that I have searched for and found no traces, members I have talked to who were either not interested or just flaked out.
As for going for such obscure indie bands well that don't work out as well as some people might think, I know because that is what I tend to go for.
Currently in talks with a few bands and none of them are looking positive; either due to lack of members interst or sub-par material to work with. Singer of one of the bands simply told me, "man that was 1988 I just don't care". Another band due to a falling out 25 years ago and grudges held it may not happen. Another band the singer who was all a go for the idea of a re-issue and assured me he would not flake out... well guess what seemed to have happened?
Tryied really hard with Glacier, it was even announced, but then the guys just flaked on it.
It is not that us labels are not interested in many cases, it is just due to other situations that nothing happens.