What should I listen to?

Thus far, I actually like all the recommendations (though I haven't really listened to Pain of Salvation, the bits I've heard didn't really get my attention. May have to check them out again). I think I'm feeling old school, because the Dio-era Sabbath and Savatage sound particularly intriguing. I'm not sure my brain is up to the full complexity of Heart of Ages. That listen is highly involving.

For me, when I listen to Heart of the Ages, I typically zone completely out and just lay down in the dark. It's one of those albums that'll take you on a journey.

Another suggestion would be the Wittr - Two Hunters, though, once again, with that I've been just zoning out and listening. Have no idea what my body is going to do at the concerts... it's going to enter "Lay down and zone out" mode.

And as for Pain of Salvation, I still wanna know when they got so fucking popular... I totally missed memo.

Jim... next time you have a woman over and you're drinkin' wine and feelin fine all chilled out, enjoying your special time together... lights turned low, maybe some candles... put on the Ulrich Schnauss and let your minds float away into passion and understanding and the true meaning of ultimate happiness....

Points.

Actually if its a wistful, reminiscent sort of strange and complex, I'd recommend Agalloch's newest album. Also, I found out about a band called Lumsk recently...not very metal at all from what I've heard, but I still like the album Det Vilde Kor.