what the fuck is this forum comming too

all this forum needs is another subforum for EVERYTHING modelling, impulse, dfh related.....that way people could be helped much better AND the forum wouldn't be flooded with the 20.000st "7170+impulses"-thread.
people posting about impulses etc outside of that subforum get warned and then banned.
I know, said subforum would get bigger than any other subforum, but I'd so love if this could happen.

please don't reply with "not everyone is lucky enough to afford API and a recto"...well, of course not, but this is a forum for producers (at least it used to be), you won't go to a forum for professional formula1 drivers asking for advice how to succeed in the latest racecar computergame or complaining "not everyone can afford two sets of tires" when someone says "you'll need different tyres for wet asphalt".
if you wanna know how to play that computergame or how to pimp your volkswagen just go to the matching forums....
sounds harsh, but this is how I feel, I've teared my ass open to make a living in this business, I've risked MUCH when I chose this job, I've spent LOTS of money and time learning and improving my skills AND gear.
It annoys me if someone says "you're lucky you can afford all those things!"...I can't..it's called priorities and this is my job....
if you only have revalver and a cracked version of cubase don't open a fucking studio!
/rant :)

I mean, all these tools like impulses etc are great and it's cool that stuff like that is traded and tought here, but why not make a seperate subforum for the "hobbyists"?

I could def see the benefit of that Lasse. It obviously isn't as helpful to people who are recording all live instruments when the forum is filled with Impulse and DFHS threads.

I will go ahead and say I myself would love to do this for a living, but I can't afford the gear right now so I am trying to up the level of my editing skills and such for now and just learn slowly as my band is my current priority. I do however plan to be doing completely live drums and what not with in the next 6 months so I don't plan on rolling with this programmed drums thing for too much longer. Just gotta get a little bit more money bc I would rather just buy what I know I will be happy with rather than keep spending money upgrading stuff.

I will go ahead and say I myself would love to do this for a living, but I can't afford the gear right now so I am trying to up the level of my editing skills and such for now and just learn slowly as my band is my current priority. I do however plan to be doing completely live drums and what not with in the next 6 months so I don't plan on rolling with this programmed drums thing for too much longer. Just gotta get a little bit more money bc I would rather just buy what I know I will be happy with rather than keep spending money upgrading stuff.

yeah, nothing wrong with that, totally understandable.
I really think everyone would benefit from a "demo-productions" sub forum, still everyone could read and contribute in every section of the forum but it wouldn't be as messy. Brett??? :)

Seems to me that the Revalver + DFHS + Superior crowd are the majority.
exactly, and that's exactly what this is about.....it was not always like this.
This forum gets more and more members, so of course there's more and more hobbyists.
That's not generally a bad thing, it just shifts the former orientation of this forum

So where did you learn about parallel compression in the first place? Probably from somebody who was also sick of talking about it.

Meh... I think you're all over-reacting. It's a fucking forum. Don't like it? Go have a wank.

I learned about parallel comp here, but its not about learning a technique, its about asking "how will this technique sound on this source?" Like just fucking try it. something that might be cool would be like: "im liking parallel comp on vocals, anyone else digging it?" or "how does this sound to you guys?"

I`m just saying this forum is watered down with stupid questions.

but i must admit this is a total wankfest itself lol

lets get some interesting convos going!

+1 for a "WIP" subforum or "demo/preproduction" subforum! That would be really cool. The rate my mix -subforum could then be used to get critique for (almost?) complete mixes, complete songs, albums, productions etc. instead of "there's this riff I wrote I used DFHS with random samples and 7170 and oh there's no bass and I don't know what compression means can you help me"

Oh, and just thought I'd also mention what many people in this thread have said. I've learned more about recording here than anywhere else, and this has become one of the forums I read most often. Thanks everyone for being so helpful and friendly here!

I haven't been here that long, but I read the forum everyday. Sometimes I post and sometimes not. I've definitly appreciated this forum and have learned a lot.

What I see, is the Pros like Andy, LSD and the likes have always been humble, helpful and generally nice drama free guys. Some of the guys that were the noobs before, now that they've "moved up" have become elitist pricks. If YOU feel like this is directed at you....then it probably is. :lol:

Instead of everybody helping eachother out it's become very cliqueish. Some of these more cliqueish groups on the forum wanna use it to play their little personal, "inside joke" games. Yet a lot of them have posted in this thread like it's the rest of the world declining this forum.

There's still some GREAT threads popping up on this forum, and I just generally ignore all the "SoloC" etc, etc. threads. If you don't like these threads...stay the f out. It's funny cause everyone talks shit, but these threads usually turn into pages and pages of jokes, flaming and other bs while threads that are generally intestesting or have the chance of becoming interesting get neglected.

Anyways, don't let this "stir shit up", just a couple observations. I still maintain that this forum is awesome. :worship:

Personally, if any change is made, I think a separate sub forum for all the DFHS, S2.0, impulses, etc. would be better. That keeps all the virtual stuff in a separate forum and is clearly defined.

bloodroot, this current generation of guys who are passing on the information don't actually HAVE to stick around here and do so.
id say they're more than entitled to a little bitch once in a while

Dodo, I don't want to just call you out for no reason, but this is exactly what I see.

You've been on this forum for less time than 90% of the people that are posting in this topic. Yet, you're going to "break it down" for everyone? Of anyone here, you use this place like it's your play-yard. 2700 posts in a year of jokes and shit. I mean your sig alone is a testament to that. Almost a whole page to just draw attention to yourself? Is it necessary. It makes the forum harder to read.

I'm not gonna argue back and forth. Just saying that it's "the pot calling the kettle black".

I learned from this forum everything especially from guys like Kaomao and Metal Jonesy on the beginning \m/, and people from this forum help my band when we were in big trouble, so for me this is great place! Very, very helpfull with great atmosphere...this topic is stupid for me.

I vote for a "bedroom quarterback" sub forum!! :lol:

Yea Ive thought to myself a lot lately that this place kinda makes me sad, we all love how it used to be but I guess times are changing. Ive been here for 3-4 years maybe longer and I love coming here and gaining knowledge. Yes, I still learn stuff but its hard fighting through all the post that have been asked and answered 1000 times. None of the veterans are saying I'm better than you (like people in this thread claim) its just the forum has become really watered down with the same questions over and over again making it hard to for the more serious producers/engineers to share and gain knowledge we crave. We all know most of the questions now days are from BEDROOM QUARTERBACKS (Stole this from James Murphy) that are not producing or recording on a serious level, or for that matter probably ever will. There is nothing wrong with recording for fun or being a newb, but maybe like people have mentioned a sub forum or a sticky about searching forum before you ask your question would help.

I'm sure many have noticed a lot of the big names who used to post a lot here have vanished or barley post anymore. There is a reason for this and I think its been covered.....

I do agree we need more moderators that will delete questions that have been asked and answered before (for people who forget to read the stick about searching). Maybe that would help clean things up a bit and also delete or ban people who are just being dicks, because i see a lot of this going on lately as well. I always liked this place because of how nice everyone was but a lot of the new people (not mentioning names) have been pretty rude to people. Remember the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!".

Still this is a great place and I visit almost every day!

Two thumbs up for an additional forum... BUT, I'd strongly suggest the division is based on results and ambitions rather than tools used. A pro mix can be done with 100% impulses and samples and an amateur mix can be done with real drums and cabs. The general attitude towards recording should be of major significance, in my opinion.

I've read the whole topic and I don't wanna add too much of what has already been told. I'll still start an epic post:

I'm one of those who discovered lately the forum. By lately, I mean 2 years ago (I mean the day of my first post,not first reading). I discovered the forum by perfect luck, I was already a little into production and I was reading stuff about Sneap. I discovered on his site the existence of this forum. I started to read it for days and days because I was so excited to find a forum about that stuff that was already a hobby, and I applied what I learnt to my already recorded personnal sessions. It took me months to post even a single line because at first I was too noobish compared to the overall level here.

Therefore, I experienced the fact that as every newcomer, I just enjoyed having those particular tips from more experienced people. This is because of that sort of tips, and a LOOOT of reading, that this forum lives. This made me discover that I really want to lead a side-project business, a passionnate business that will be a 2nd dream besides my already passionnate future job (airliner plane pilot). Now I'm spending several hours every evening, reading and mixing. It's almost as much as what I'm learning professionnaly during the day.

There is obviously different trends here :

- the newcomer only here for some noobish interests
- the newcomer here to have tips for his demo
- the guy deeply interested, who is learning the basis
- the guy deeply interested, who is learning the basis because it's a life-project or almost (as I am)
- the semi pro already in business, who needs accurate advices to improve
- the pro who runs his business, who needs advices from other pros

Fact is that all don't have the same needs, the same budget, the same abilities, the same amount of knowledge to share. This is a balanced relationship only with time, because people would pass from one category to the other.

The trend that interesting people are leaving the place is not a surprise. First, we are mostly young people here (let's say between 20 and 25). With the years, you learn things, and you of course end up knowing most basic things and you feel the forum is repeating. Also, you built your reputation, you maybe built your studio, you have customers one after the other, and therefore, you are now learning more in the battlefield (ie : your studio and among labels/bands/producers) than on a board.

That is exactly what I felt after 1 year and a half on the french guitarist site (www.guitariste.com). This forum is full of noobs asking "Can you tell me what is the best $200 guitar ?" and of guitarists who talk more than play music. I ended up leaving the forum when I considered I knew most things about guitar, also because it's a static world (guitars are almost the same since they were created). I felt it was now time to just play guitar to improve and that's all.

There is obviously a way to improve the forum. As someone stated before, I never understood the interest of the main forum. Also, the idea of creating a sub forum for demo production, homemade guitar sounds, and use of DHF+impulses is a good one. I'm not one of those who are already able to record everything natural even if I did some times for my bands, but I clearly see the improvement. The discussion is not the same, and even myself see a STRONG difference. When you use an impulse, it's obvious it's not a real guitar sound. It doesn't react the same to EQing, it doesn't sit the same in a mix.

The idea to create an alternate forum has pros and cons. Because of its elitism, it would make interesting discussion and only that. But on contrary, if people get there, will they still post here ? If they all leave, this very forum looses of its interest. It once lived because Andy Brett or anybody else taught people their knowledge. It's a normal circle that now those taught people play the role of the teacher. Although, in the end, won't it be the same on this new elitist forum ? People would post there, and end in some years when they will have reached a "top notch" level. I don't say it's a bad idea, but it mostly moves the problem than solves it.

I say : if there is a problem, then the only thing is to actually do something usefull to regulate it.

Creating precise subforum is a good idea. There just is a need to talk about how to divide without actually divide the forumers, there is no need to put a barrier. Another idea would be to try self-control by trying not to pollute the forum, try to post interesting ideas, or there is the OffTopic Tavern for that. I don't know if you people feel it, but I even myself find that there are too many post like "+1" on things where it's useless. I mean, here it's okay because we are talking about the forum and giving opinions, but in a thread about vocal compression, I'm hoping to read mostly about vocal compression and not a series of "+1, that sounds good" !

Although, I think that we should not think that there are so many people here only for a C4 preset. I don't think I'm the only one who actually spends time reading stuff, even old threads, trying techniques, or spending time to write such a post !

The really funny thing is, I came to this forum all those years ago after realising Andy had mixed my 2 favourite albums at the time (Deliverance and Anthems of Rebellion) and going through my collection to find he was behind almost all the albums I loved for their production. What started as a fan group for Andy has become a metal recording mecca, there is nothing wrong with that but I doubt most people who come on here now could list more than a couple of bands Andy has worked with without the aid of google.

This thread alone shows that this forum means different things to different people - whatever you take from it though it's the best place on the net if you're a complete gear whore into metal.

First of all I have learnt soo much from this forum, been reading this for the last year or so, but haven't really posted much. To me some of the members believe that your number of posts determines your ability in mixing, if you have a low number of posts none of the more senior members dont even bother to comment on your mixes. It seems that the people with the higher posts just really intereact with each other.

I havent read all the other posts, but this is my problem. If your ask a question or disagree with say "sound replacing everything" you get knocked down. But I suppose this is like this in every forum. I am in the sonar forum and we still have the senior members believing they own what goes on the forum due to their post counts. Some people just dont have the time to post every single day.

^ I agree with post count and so on. I can't say I'm bothered by it though. Like alot of people have been saying, this is a great place for learning.
Mixing and Productions in general were a hobby for me like most others aswell, with this forum I've crossed the "border" so to speak.
I don't post much but I read many times a day, before I got here i though that working in a studio is a 1/1000000 chance and there's no way in hell I could ever get there.
I still have'nt got there but this forum sent me in the right direction and made me realize this is actually what I want to do for a living or as a parttime thing.
Just knowing what you want in life is priceless to me, I truly want to thank everyone that share there knowledge, you helped me alot.
I see there are these kid's joining an want to get a good guitar tone here, nothing's gonna change that I guess, and I hope this forum can evolve into a place where everyone can learn something from eachother, I mean we can't hate the beginners here, 2 beginners helping eachother gives me 2 beginners less to explain what I've learned over the years right?

I hope I can contribute much more sooner or later, I just signed up for one of the world's best Audio Engineering programs, and expensive :O (about 11 500$ :( ) and it's thanks to you guys that I made this decision, taking in to consideration that no theory will prepare me for the real deal I chose a school where I can get around 40-50 hours/week hands on lessons/experience.
And I'm not a spoiled kid that can spend such money on education, I have a loan and will have to pay it back for myself ofcourse.

So by reading my little "story" I hope you guys that contribute with your experience won't leave, and realize you actually do some occasional wonders. I hope I can share knowledge and laugh's for an long future here.
I know you guys also enjoy the regular talk, just talking to people with the same interest and musical tastes. I mean we can speak about stuff regular people won't understand a word of... don't know where I'm trying to go with this... maby that we audio engineer's(or soon to be) are an superior race! :D :D