What the fuck!!!?? Small set list!

Originally posted by Ormir
Here's a cup of Finnish bitterness to start your day. ;)
Yikes, Ormir! Now I can see why Finnish fans are so frustrated! (If I could, next time I see DT I can maybe snatch them in burlap baps and mail them to Finland? ;) ) I would like to think of it as an oversight from the booking agent; but one would think DT may have spoken up by now. Does anyone know if the band would have a choice in where they get to play?

Originally posted by Episode666
Does anyone know if the band would have a choice in where they get to play?

as far as i know, the tour management takes care of everything and they don't really have any say. to be honest, though, bandmembers were very happy with their tour management last time i've heard it mentioned (26/11/2002). :err:

rahvin.

I don't find DT touring the USA or any other region annoying in the slightest, just used this chance to wallow in self-hate. :p

once again, though i'll remain positevily unheard...i suggest you guys book a gig yourselfs, don't wait for a stupid i'm-not-getting-DT-here promoters destroy your mental state. Simply go ahead and book that goddamned gig...

now, sign on the contract that they have to play more than four songs, because a setlist consisting in:
The Sun Fired Blanks
The Gallery
Monochromatic Stains
Final Resistance
sounds horribly pathetic to me...

fathervic (who thinks that for 4 songs not even in flames should play)

Ormir: when i asked RealHazard why dt haven't returned to Finland, i was told that it was because dt hate Finns. then i asked if i should ask why and i received no reply to that one.

well, i don't know if i should say you shouldn't be concerned. Neil Peart of Rush has made his feelings (dislike) for Americans known in his book yet he and his band had no qualms about coming here to take some $$ off our hands. ;)

so, i would conclude (assume is more like it, rather) that if it is true dt hate Finns that it's not likely they'd never come there again. this is just my own speculation though. i really have no clue what the issues are in this case, but i do sympathize with you. i used to think they hated us and would never come here at one point, too, right after 9/11. ;) they may indeed hate us, like Mr. Peart, and sooooo many others. but, there's not much i can do about that but feel crappy every time we get bashed. :(

edit: damn double negatives. bah

Originally posted by FatherVic
once again, though i'll remain positevily unheard...i suggest you guys book a gig yourselfs, don't wait for a stupid i'm-not-getting-DT-here promoters destroy your mental state. Simply go ahead and book that goddamned gig...

"positevily"? :devil: that's awesome! and i'm not being facetious at all, Father.

now, sign on the contract that they have to play more than four songs, because a setlist consisting in:
The Sun Fired Blanks
The Gallery
Monochromatic Stains
Final Resistance
sounds horribly pathetic to me...

fathervic (who thinks that for 4 songs not even in flames should play)

:bah: here's what's horribly pathetic:

i can't really imagine thoughtful, balanced niklas or joyful, straightforward mikael hating a population. these are not merely words of praise (they would be reserved to the likes of hiljainen ;) ), it's just completely out of character that they would spend their time hating the neighbours. sure their lyrics are filled with vibrant criticism towards all that's finn? :rolleyes:

rahvin.

Originally posted by wildfyr
well, i don't know if i should say you shouldn't be concerned. Neil Peart of Rush has made his feelings (dislike) for Americans known in his book yet he and his band had no qualms about coming here to take some $$ off our hands. ;)
heh, but he won't come to Europe anymore, that bastard. :mad:
(ehm, sorry Neil, i didn't mean that :oops: )

@the whole world: come on, you can't seriously think that the band hates finland and/or finnish people, that would be just plain stupid.

Miolo

Uh, I guess RealHazard originally meant it as a (poor) joke - he just probably couldn't come up with any real reason for them not coming here. I know DT likes me. :p

-Villain

Originally posted by FatherVic
The logistics and money involved in that make it an unrealistic proposition I think.

Let's say we (Villain, Hearse and me) were to rent out Nosturi in Helsinki for this kind of gig. http://www.elmu.fi/nosturi/index.htm

The rent for one night would be at least €1000 I imagine. Then we would have to comission tickets through Tiketti or Lippupalvelu, which certainly can't be cheap, especially for private entrepreneurs with no previous business contact. Venues make most of their money from selling alchohol during gigs. We would have to buy a license ourselves if we wanted to make profit on that. Not to mention the cost of employing a doorman, and other staff. We could to this ourselves, and with our friends sure, but bringing DT here not to see them ourselves is a bit pointless.

Then there's the matter of paying for the band, their plane tickets, and others costs that will no doubt arise.

Financially, I don't think it's in the reach of several poor students.

Ormir: don't forget the cost of insurance if it's required! i read somewhere that insurance expenses have risen dramatically since 9/11. that's the case here anyway.

Then there's the matter of paying for the band, their plane tickets, and others costs that will no doubt arise.

hehe... and other costs. gotta have a line item for the all-important alkyhol. :D

or most of us working stiffs. :zombie:

Originally posted by Miolo
heh, but he won't come to Europe anymore, that bastard. :mad:
(ehm, sorry Neil, i didn't mean that :oops: )

:eek: does Mr. Peart peruse the dt forum?

@the whole world: come on, you can't seriously think that the band hates finland and/or finnish people, that would be just plain stupid.

Miolo

only their hairdressers know for sure! :D

;-)

that show was disapointing as hell.

traveled 2.5 hours to grand rapids, paid $24 to see the show.
i haven't paid that much for an underground metal show probably ever.

nile is the worst band ever.
napalm death is over rated and boring
strapping young lad is also over rated and boring.
dark tranquillity was good, but played like 5 songs, and they stunk really bad. it was hard to stand close to the stage.
plus the lighting at the venue was facing the crowd instead of the band! so every few seconds i was blinded by this big yellow light.

over all 3 out of 10.

Originally posted by wildfyr
:eek: does Mr. Peart peruse the dt forum?
you can't be sure he doesn't. :rolleyes: i don't want him to say "hey, let's take a look at the dt forum" and suddenly see a crazy Torino boy insulting him. :p

Miolo (with a Neil Peart quotation in his signature)

Originally posted by Ormir
The logistics and money involved in that make it an unrealistic proposition I think.

Let's say we (Villain, Hearse and me) were to rent out Nosturi in Helsinki for this kind of gig. http://www.elmu.fi/nosturi/index.htm

The rent for one night would be at least €1000 I imagine. Then we would have to comission tickets through Tiketti or Lippupalvelu, which certainly can't be cheap, especially for private entrepreneurs with no previous business contact. Venues make most of their money from selling alchohol during gigs. We would have to buy a license ourselves if we wanted to make profit on that. Not to mention the cost of employing a doorman, and other staff. We could to this ourselves, and with our friends sure, but bringing DT here not to see them ourselves is a bit pointless.

Well probably i didn't count on "having the money forehand" bit...
actually with 3000 € forehand then it could be surely done....
don't know how many people can get in Nosturi, but let's say 1500 (i suppose in finland it would be sold out) for let's say 25€ the ticket, that's 37.500€ I would estimate the total costs (lighting, guards (normally there are companies already doing this busines, generally contracted by the venue) tickets, flight and the band, insurance) something like 30000€ and still there would be some outcome for the investors....it's not THAT big deal (with the money of course)....

but yup, may it's too much when you can actually go to a swedish gig anyway ;)

hi people,

it feels great to sit in front of a computer again (thanks Chris!), and since I've got some time, I'll make some quick comments.

Re: The setlength - from talking with people I understand that not everyone knows that the bands have NO input whatsoever on how long they can play. A five-band tour is a pretty large operation, and in order for everything to work as smoothly as possible, there are time limits to the performances. Every night, we're getting alotted a certain time that we're allowed to be onstage. This can depend on several factors (the time of arriving at the venue, the time the doors open, eventual setup problems, curfew, weekday etc), and MUST be adhered to. Any support band, on any tour, will certainly get a lot of problems if they ignore the regulations and overrun their given time, even for just a minute or two. On this particular tour, we've had everything between 20 and 35 minutes at our disposal, depending on the circumstances mentioned above. I can assure you that it definately feels frustrating to have traveled across the world, being away from family and work for a month, and only get to play for such a short time, but what can we do about it? It's just the way it works, and if we do a good job out of this and future tours, we might build up a strong enough presence to be able to make a headline tour in the states, but there really are no shortcuts to this. I totally understand that people are disappointed with us (or any of the other bands, of course) not playing as long as they would like, especially with the ticket prices being fairly steep, but there isn't anything we can do about it. Sorry if over-explaining everything here, but I just want it to be crystal clear that we don't have any say in how long we play on any given night.

Re: Finland - we love playing there and would jump at the first chance to get over there a.s.a.p., but - again - the bandmembers don't have ANY say in where or when gigs and tours are set up. If we don't get any offers from reputable promotors, we're not able to do a show. Regarding the European tours, there are certain logistical problems with including Finland since you get two inevitable travel days, which means lots of expenses (bus rent, crew wages etc) and no income, and sometimes the booking agencies just won't accept that and chose not to include Finland instead. Us not playing in a certain country doesn't mean that we've got anything against its population.

Re: Our smell - totally agreed. We do reek pretty badly, but this is what happens when you have access to showers every 4-5th day and sweating a lot during the gigs . Touring life is very, very unglamourous, and smelling like fish is one of the smaller problems. We're taking every opportunity we can to freshen up, but if there are no showers available, we can't do much about it. Besides, metal is supposed to be about grease and sweat.

Other than that, it's good to see that most of you are enjoying the shows, and we're certainly satisfied with the results so far :)

Take care & see you later, ppl!

Niklas, i totally understand your point of view and i don't mean to seem to lash back at you guys, because i know it's not your fault concerning the setlist, it's just like you said, it could be frustrating to big fans and i don't mean any anger at you guys. Keep up the good work and i wait for the day you guys finally headline! ;)